Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Tretton.jpg

Jack Tretton @ the CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment said:
[Microsoft and Nintendo] are starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond. I mean, you’ve gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I’m doing true accurate motion gaming? Our view of the ‘Game Boy experience’ is that it’s a great babysitting tool, (but) no self-respecting 20-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He’s too old for that.

Hahaha, what an idiot. Butthurt much?
rofl2.gif

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He's kinda right and wrong. I love my DS, but I'm embarrassed to be seen in public with it.
he's wrong about everything else though

The only gaming I do in public is on my iphone

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hahahaha, what? And the PSP did well with an optical drive?
And that's some real balls you have, discrediting motion-gaming that has worked SO WELL for the iPhone whilst you're sticking a touch pad in the BACK of the NGP.

tldr; idiot talks shit about something that is a serious threat to his industry.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw this on Nintendo3DSblog and say what I said there.

I completely disagree with him, and even if it was considered by most people as a "Babysitting tool", and I liked the features, I would still have one.

If I liked the features on a Leapfrog Learning Tablet (Or whatever that stupid thing is called), I would use it.

Edit:

Also, I know I shouldn't take this one quote by one idiot against a whole company, but I really hate Sony now. After all the ridiculous lawsuits, and their idiotically bold statements like this have persuaded me to never buy any of their products again.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny because I feel no embarrassment as I am now or any other people 20 something or under 20 something.

If you embarrassed to carry a gameboy/ds/3DS than you should be embarrassed to
carry any portable tech around.

The Move is just the same as the motion+ or NGP motion is just like 3DS.

NGP must be a "babysitting tool".

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He obviously needs to learn a thing or two about marketing. Young adults in their 20's play portable games in public, in fact I see more people between the ages of 16 and 24 playing games on portable devices then I do little kids. Yeah, he is probably one of those people who also thinks that the PSP is for "teh mature kidz" despite the fact that the miserable failure of a device has a terrible player base. How many people, regardless of age, do you see playing PSP's in public? Nintendo dominates the portable market for a reason, they are the recognized brand and people of all age find games that appeal to them. Sony staff are the prime example of colossal douche baggery when it comes to PR, and this is exactly how they make themselves look retarded.

And I find it funny that no one from Nintendo really ever tries to shit talk Sony or Microsoft, I guess their staff don't feel the need to make themselves look like trolls.

D

Deleted User

You know what's cute? How the Playstation Move is strangely just like motion gaming. Huh.

You know what's great? How the Playstation Move controller looks. Yay.

So butthurt XD

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I think what Jack Tretton is implying by saying the 3DS is a "babysitting tool" is that it's nothing more than a toy. I, as a proud and unashamed Nintendo fanboy, take that as a high compliment. Toys are fun and the 3DS is a hell of an awesome toy.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, VP of Trolling.
[crowd roars with applause]
tongue.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The view is vague. Forgetting the source also makes it hard to credit this as totally true.

Assuming you didn't just make this up though; where I'm at, people don't game out in public. At best, you have somebody with their PSP out. You don't see anybody with a DS out. I have yet to even see a 3DS in person. Fact is, people are embarrassed by the product. Yeah, it may not apply to you, but people have a tendency to apply video games to a negative view, and even more so with anybody that is familiar with the content of Nintendo.

There are some people that are barely even willing to mention that they play video games, as it's considered just oh so nerdy and unacceptable in most society (or at least mine). A lot of places don't seem to care as much, but I'm in a community where you just don't see it. Nobody seems to care when it comes to Sony products though. Maybe because Sony is directed towards an older audience, so people don't care as much. Whatever, doesn't really matter.

For the person mentioning the touch pad on the NGP to counter against the motion gaming bit; touch pads aren't motion gaming. The Nintendo Wii, Playstation Move, and Kinect are motion gaming devices, as they register your movement for the movements of characters or objects within the actual game. With touch pads, it doesn't register movement, only the fact that it's being touched. You also have to remember that Sony hasn't based a system around motion gaming, though they did hop on the motion gaming bandwagon. They lost room to mock motion gaming at that point.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake I seen ds' more than psps at places I see. From what I seen
games are nothing to be embarrassed from any other people carrying tech.

Games aren't nerdy (although some people can be nerdy
tongue.gif
) and unacceptable.

Games bring entertainment and can bring people together.

Imagination a whole without games of any kind.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
The view is vague. Forgetting the source also makes it hard to credit this as totally true.

Assuming you didn't just make this up though; where I'm at, people don't game out in public. At best, you have somebody with their PSP out. You don't see anybody with a DS out. I have yet to even see a 3DS in person. Fact is, people are embarrassed by the product.
I guess the west coast is completely different than the east coast. I live in NJ, and see DSs all the time. I've probably seen at most five other PSPs in person (Between school and work) and have easily seen 30 DSs.

TheAmericanNomad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't play my DS at school because it wouldn't exactly make me appeal to the ladies, but neither would a PSP, just about the only acceptable gaming is Angry Birds or facebook games.

The only people I see playing either a DS or PSP are the people who are playing it in between games of Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic the gathering, i.e. people who know they are never getting laid and so just don't give a fu*k either way.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because those the only games and gaming people can't get laid.
rolleyes.gif

Oh and the fact that gamers can't be ladies.
rofl.gif

You stuck on stereotyping cartoons.

How is Angry Birds or facebook games more acceptable?
rofl.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Yes, because those the only games and gaming people can't get laid.
rolleyes.gif

You stuck on stereotyping cartoons.

How is Angry Birds or facebook games more acceptable?
rofl.gif

Because everybody has a Facebook and iDevices are considered popular. Put the two together and you get one shit storm of what's considered acceptable.

It also may just be the West Coast, maybe only Oregon. I've been around Oregon quite a bit, and I rarely see DS's out and around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E