Jack Tretton calls the 3DS a “babysitting tool”

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mikehammerX9, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mikehammerX9
    OP

Member mikehammerX9 GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    [​IMG]

Hahaha, what an idiot. Butthurt much? [​IMG]

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    He's one of those guys who thinks he's so much because he smokes cigars.

3. donelwero

Member donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Well, he's right about one thing. I don't have any self-respect, so yeah I love my babysitting tool.

4. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    He's kinda right and wrong. I love my DS, but I'm embarrassed to be seen in public with it.
    he's wrong about everything else though

The only gaming I do in public is on my iphone

5. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Your signature would have been a better response to that sony troll. [​IMG]

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Hahahaha, what? And the PSP did well with an optical drive?
    And that's some real balls you have, discrediting motion-gaming that has worked SO WELL for the iPhone whilst you're sticking a touch pad in the BACK of the NGP.

tldr; idiot talks shit about something that is a serious threat to his industry.

7. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I saw this on Nintendo3DSblog and say what I said there.

I completely disagree with him, and even if it was considered by most people as a "Babysitting tool", and I liked the features, I would still have one.

If I liked the features on a Leapfrog Learning Tablet (Or whatever that stupid thing is called), I would use it.

Edit:

Also, I know I shouldn't take this one quote by one idiot against a whole company, but I really hate Sony now. After all the ridiculous lawsuits, and their idiotically bold statements like this have persuaded me to never buy any of their products again.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Funny because I feel no embarrassment as I am now or any other people 20 something or under 20 something.

If you embarrassed to carry a gameboy/ds/3DS than you should be embarrassed to
    carry any portable tech around.

The Move is just the same as the motion+ or NGP motion is just like 3DS.

NGP must be a "babysitting tool".

9. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    He obviously needs to learn a thing or two about marketing. Young adults in their 20's play portable games in public, in fact I see more people between the ages of 16 and 24 playing games on portable devices then I do little kids. Yeah, he is probably one of those people who also thinks that the PSP is for "teh mature kidz" despite the fact that the miserable failure of a device has a terrible player base. How many people, regardless of age, do you see playing PSP's in public? Nintendo dominates the portable market for a reason, they are the recognized brand and people of all age find games that appeal to them. Sony staff are the prime example of colossal douche baggery when it comes to PR, and this is exactly how they make themselves look retarded.

And I find it funny that no one from Nintendo really ever tries to shit talk Sony or Microsoft, I guess their staff don't feel the need to make themselves look like trolls.

10. Amiti

Member Amiti GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You know what's cute? How the Playstation Move is strangely just like motion gaming. Huh.

You know what's great? How the Playstation Move controller looks. Yay.

So butthurt XD

11. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I think what Jack Tretton is implying by saying the 3DS is a "babysitting tool" is that it's nothing more than a toy. I, as a proud and unashamed Nintendo fanboy, take that as a high compliment. Toys are fun and the 3DS is a hell of an awesome toy.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, VP of Trolling.
    [crowd roars with applause] [​IMG]

12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Bet the guy never had a hot girl babysit him when he was young.

13. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Is this guy high or something?

14. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    A real man is never ashamed of anything he loves. [​IMG]

15. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    The view is vague. Forgetting the source also makes it hard to credit this as totally true.

Assuming you didn't just make this up though; where I'm at, people don't game out in public. At best, you have somebody with their PSP out. You don't see anybody with a DS out. I have yet to even see a 3DS in person. Fact is, people are embarrassed by the product. Yeah, it may not apply to you, but people have a tendency to apply video games to a negative view, and even more so with anybody that is familiar with the content of Nintendo.

There are some people that are barely even willing to mention that they play video games, as it's considered just oh so nerdy and unacceptable in most society (or at least mine). A lot of places don't seem to care as much, but I'm in a community where you just don't see it. Nobody seems to care when it comes to Sony products though. Maybe because Sony is directed towards an older audience, so people don't care as much. Whatever, doesn't really matter.

For the person mentioning the touch pad on the NGP to counter against the motion gaming bit; touch pads aren't motion gaming. The Nintendo Wii, Playstation Move, and Kinect are motion gaming devices, as they register your movement for the movements of characters or objects within the actual game. With touch pads, it doesn't register movement, only the fact that it's being touched. You also have to remember that Sony hasn't based a system around motion gaming, though they did hop on the motion gaming bandwagon. They lost room to mock motion gaming at that point.

16. KingVamp

United States
    Nathan Drake I seen ds' more than psps at places I see. From what I seen
    games are nothing to be embarrassed from any other people carrying tech.

Games aren't nerdy (although some people can be nerdy [​IMG]) and unacceptable.

Games bring entertainment and can bring people together.

Imagination a whole without games of any kind.

17. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I guess the west coast is completely different than the east coast. I live in NJ, and see DSs all the time. I've probably seen at most five other PSPs in person (Between school and work) and have easily seen 30 DSs.

18. TheAmericanNomad

Newcomer TheAmericanNomad Member

United States
    Well, I don't play my DS at school because it wouldn't exactly make me appeal to the ladies, but neither would a PSP, just about the only acceptable gaming is Angry Birds or facebook games.

The only people I see playing either a DS or PSP are the people who are playing it in between games of Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic the gathering, i.e. people who know they are never getting laid and so just don't give a fu*k either way.

19. KingVamp

United States
    Yes, because those the only games and gaming people can't get laid. [​IMG]

Oh and the fact that gamers can't be ladies. [​IMG]

You stuck on stereotyping cartoons.

How is Angry Birds or facebook games more acceptable? [​IMG]

20. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Because everybody has a Facebook and iDevices are considered popular. Put the two together and you get one shit storm of what's considered acceptable.

It also may just be the West Coast, maybe only Oregon. I've been around Oregon quite a bit, and I rarely see DS's out and around.