Iwata: Wii U/3DS will cater to core gamers first, mass market second

D

Deleted_171835

The first console in the generation you are refering to was the Xbox 360, and guess what? It turned out to be the weakest.

are you really using that argument?
The Wii was not meant to compete with the 360 or the PS3, it was made to appeal to an entirely new market of gamers that wanted to try something different as well as their old fans and was relatively successful at it, however if fell flat when it came to resources, horsepower and third-party support and despite the initial massive sales it was quickly relegated to the laughing stock position it is in right now.
I thought I should bring up that even with all the issues the Wii had, it still sold the most out of this gen's consoles to date and is likely to remain that way until The End. It was still mighty successful for Nintendo.

NeoGohan

Trophies
XP
Country
The first console in the generation you are refering to was the Xbox 360, and guess what? It turned out to be the weakest.

The Wii was not meant to compete with the 360 or the PS3, it was made to appeal to an entirely new market of gamers that wanted to try something different as well as their old fans and was relatively successful at it, however if fell flat when it came to resources, horsepower and third-party support and despite the initial massive sales it was quickly relegated to the laughing stock position it is in right now.

lol, seems like an stupid excuse to not answer. (i know about video game history, no need for that)

so .. how much ram are you expecting?

i'm not one of those "people" at all, no need to make assumptions.
i just go where the games i like are.
i've had consoles from both Sony and Nintendo and i've had a lot of fun on all of them :)
I'm expecting a miniscule amount of RAM more than the WiiU will have as it's not really all that important - the significant differences will come in CPU/GPU architectures and their relations.

Sony will more than likely show once more that their custom-tailored chips can reign supreme while Microsoft will play it relatively safetly instead opting for a more open-ended development environment.

I know that about the Wii.
but when you put Dreamcast as an example one would thing that you are trying to say that the first system will be considerably weaker, and that's not going to happen again.
Xbox 360 was powerful enough and had successul sales its first years and guess what, most developers use it as their lead platform when it comes to multiplatform games.

The Wii thing won't happen ever again, it was just a bunch of stupid decisions made by nintendo (old architecture, big developers not able to port their newest engines, not able to use modern shaders, etc etc)

and that's not going to happen again because even if the Wii U is weaker, it has a modern architecture capable of all these that the wii wasn't.

According to most rumours, Sony will be closer to Nintendo than to Microsoft (microsoft will be the one going for the most powerful console).

and even if both (sony/microsoft) had consoles with more power, it won't mean much because now developers can bring games to Wii U without needing to remake an engine exclusively for the "weakest" console.

Reactions: 1 person

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@[member='Coto']

Pro-tip: It's not a matter of making people "feel bad." If you have to call something (or someone) "gay" to convey that it's bad, you have failed at arguing.

I didn't know i'd attract that much attention by saying I disliked SMG because the character became too... ugh, whatever. I have gay friends so it's not a problem to me to apologize if necessary. I didn't want to mark gay as a bad word either. ; ) So let the debate continue, and word taken.

O RLY Nintendo has not any parental limits when it comes down to their consoles/games?? You must be blind as ... hahaha

If you were to know how to code a little, you'd understand last Nintendo consoles had been terribly underpowered, and Nintendo, because of their "antiquated" way of business wouldn't even lend their SDKs to 3rd parties, thus, leaving the devs figuring how to rewrite /port games from a PC/XBOX arquitecture to an ol' apple G3/G4. This means wasting time and money, thus, ... hey 3DS games announced at launch day were cancelled do you remember? Well, that's a good example.
No, there aren't any parental limits. I don't know why you keep stating that without any proof.

Recent Nintendo consoles have obviously been underpowered. I'm not arguing that. How do you know that Nintendo hasn't given SDKs to third-parties because this just seems like a bunch of conjecture to me. And the cancelled 3DS games don't mean anything. For one, some of the games haven't even reached the design stage so that doesn't speak of any development problems.

Well I wasn't saying the SDK stuff about Wii precisely, but GC and N64 era Nintendo's way-of-thinking, which broke some relationships with some 3rd parties. The announced 3DS titles were astonishingly nice, and if 3rd party devs were cancelling their projects because of -conjeture- weak hardware, or either doing extra work of porting code because of Nintendo designs (or lack of SDKs in that time, who knows, they must have had their reasons) isn't nice.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I thought I should bring up that even with all the issues the Wii had, it still sold the most out of this gen's consoles to date and is likely to remain that way until The End. It was still mighty successful for Nintendo.
The sales are indeed quite huge, but look at the contributing factors - family-friendly, thus a good gift for children. Low price, thus easy to obtain. Easy to hack, thus quite appealing for anyone interested in homebrew or in piracy.

The sales of the 360 and the PS3 are relatively similar as they're priced similarily and offer a similar experience. The Wii was a cheap system with something different to offer, but the Wii bubble has perished - the leading system on the charts as far as home consoles are concerned is now the PS3, the Wii craze is long gone.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I don't think anyone can call Wii a disappoint from the sales perceptive, it even exceeded Nintendo's expectations.

The real question is will the Wii-U follow Wii's footsteps or will it end up just like the GC...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know that about the Wii.
but when you put Dreamcast as an example one would thing that you are trying to say that the first system will be considerably weaker, and that's not going to happen again.
Xbox 360 was powerful enough and had successul sales its first years and guess what, most developers use it as their lead platform when it comes to multiplatform games.

The Wii thing won't happen ever again, it was just a bunch of stupid decisions made by nintendo (old architecture, big developers not able to port their newest engines, not able to use modern shaders, etc etc)

and that's not going to happen again because even if the Wii U is weaker, it has a modern architecture capable of all these that the wii wasn't.

According to most rumours, Sony will be closer to Nintendo than to Microsoft (microsoft will be the one going for the most powerful console).

and even if both (sony/microsoft) had consoles with more power, it won't mean much because now developers can bring games to Wii U without needing to remake an engine exclusively for the "weakest" console.
It was never my point to diminish the position of the WiiU - all I said was that the Wii was far too weak and that the WiiU will be the weakest this generation but the controller is its huge selling point.

If multimedia functions will be up-to-par and it will feature a BluRay drive despite initial data, it will sell like hotcakes because it's different while still interesting for the core gamer.

NeoGohan

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I wasn't saying the SDK stuff about Wii precisely, but GC and N64 era Nintendo's way-of-thinking, which broke some relationships with some 3rd parties. The announced 3DS titles were astonishingly nice, and if 3rd party devs were cancelling their projects because of -conjeture- weak hardware, or either doing extra work of porting code because of Nintendo designs (or lack of SDKs in that time, who knows, they must have had their reasons) isn't nice.

hello

Saints Row = THQ has financial problems, they don't even know if they will be able to publish games that are almost complete.
Assassin's Creed = this
DJ Hero = Activision killed the "hero" series.

any other game that was announced to be at launch WINDOW and then got cancelled?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Saints Row = THQ has financial problems, they don't even know if they will be able to publish games that are almost complete.
Assassin's Creed = this

any other game that was announced to be at launch WINDOW and then got cancelled?

--hello--

http://gbatemp.net/t...lled-3ds-games/

except Crush 3D

No more talking to this guy, it's useless.

NeoGohan

Trophies
XP
Country
And did you know the lack of 3rd party support was because of their idiotic "parents" policy, and also, low cheap, hard to port coding, hardware? Why do you think devs prefer porting games to XBOX/PS3 now? Because it's easier to do? Nintendo had even troubles bringing We Dare to USA :rofl:
No, that wasn't it. There is no parents policy and I don't know where you get this antiquated hardware idea from.

O RLY Nintendo has not any parental limits when it comes down to their consoles/games?? You must be blind as ... hahaha

If you were to know how to code a little, you'd understand last Nintendo consoles had been terribly underpowered, and Nintendo, because of their "antiquated" way of business wouldn't even lend their SDKs to 3rd parties, thus, leaving the devs figuring how to rewrite /port games from a PC/XBOX arquitecture to an ol' apple G3/G4. This means wasting time and money, thus, ... hey 3DS games announced at launch day were cancelled do you remember? Well, that's a good example.

Assassin's Creed = this

http://gbatemp.net/t...lled-3ds-games/

except Crush 3D

My Garden (EA) I don't know
DJ Hero 3 (Activision) Activion killed the "hero" franchise.
Saints Row: Drive-by (THQ) THQ has financial problems, they don't even know if they will be able to publish games that are almost complete.
Omega Five (Hudson) Hudson is dead
Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson) Hudson is dead
Bonk (Hudson) Hudson is dead
Bomberman (Hudson) Hudson is dead
BloodRayne: The Shroud (TBC) didn't even know about this one
MegaMan Legends (Capcom) Capcom canceled it because yes
Crush 3D (Sega) (TBC)

No more talking to this guy, it's useless.

nice to see that you run out of arguments.

D

Deleted_171835

The real question is will the Wii-U follow Wii's footsteps or will it end up just like the GC...
If it's able to hold it's own graphically against the PS4/Nextbox (with a gap similar to the PS2 and Gamecube/Xbox), then sure. Nintendo core games and tons of third-party games would make a killer platform.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If it's able to hold it's own graphically against the PS4/Nextbox (with a gap similar to the PS2 and Gamecube/Xbox), then sure. Nintendo core games and tons of third-party games would make a killer platform.
I still think that the end-user should have the option to connect multiple WiiU controllers rather than be forced to use just one. I value my gaming parties, I'd hate to relegate others to a secondary role while I use the glorious tabletontroller.

D

Deleted_171835

I still think that the end-user should have the option to connect multiple WiiU controllers rather than be forced to use just one. I value my gaming parties, I'd hate to relegate others to a secondary role while I use the glorious tabletontroller.
From what I've heard, Nintendo has allowed for multiple Wii U controllers in the latest devkit.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The first console in the generation you are refering to was the Xbox 360, and guess what? It turned out to be the weakest. are you really using that argument?
lol, seems like an stupid excuse to not answer. (i know about video game history, no need for that) so .. how much ram are you expecting? i'm not one of those "people" at all, no need to make assumptions. i just go where the games i like are. i've had consoles from both Sony and Nintendo and i've had a lot of fun on all of them :)
I'm expecting a miniscule amount of RAM more than the WiiU will have as it's not really all that important - the significant differences will come in CPU/GPU architectures and their relations. Sony will more than likely show once more that their custom-tailored chips can reign supreme while Microsoft will play it relatively safetly instead opting for a more open-ended development environment.
Uhh, you want another Cell? :blink:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
From what I've heard, Nintendo has allowed for multiple Wii U controllers in the latest devkit.
Thank fu*k for that, the idea of a single controller only was idiotic to begin with and quite contrary to the whole... y'know, "Wii" part of the name.

Why have the capacity to play splitscreen on numerous screens if you can only have *2* - the TV and the tablet?

With a few tablet controllers, splitscreen gaming could be revived in a really BIG way, to the point that every player could sit in a different room or move aroud the house during a gaming session - that's pretty sweet if you ask me. No more will we have to pause to get a few beers from the fridge - a dream-come-true.

Uhh, you want another Cell? :blink:
Why not? Programming difficulties were present only in the beginning of the PS3's life-cycle - they were later nullified by updated devkits.

That said, I would prefere a PowerPC setup, but we'll see what they come up with. I'm sure they learned from their mistakes.

NeoGohan

Trophies
XP
Country
after reading some NEW info, i'm 100% sure that the Wii U launch will be one of the best ever.

it looks like Iwata is really trying to bring the "hardcore gamers" back.

don't miss this E3.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Gamecube, GameCUBE, GAMECUBE! I hope the Wii U ends up being like the Gamecube. Gamecube>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>glorified Gamecube with motion controls

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think the main issue here is that people have quite a bit of feelings in the game. When someone mentioned that Sony made a loss as a company (the gaming devision making a loss), no one seemed to mention that also Nintendo (Gaming company?) made a loss. Hell the 360 hasn't really been a success financially AFAIK, but that doesn't really matter to MS, since Windows pumps up profit more than most can even imagine.

Every console strived with exclusive titles. The Wii had lots of Nintendo titles (Zelda, Mario, etc), PS3 had Sony exclusives (LBP, Uncharted, etc) and the 360 had MS exclusives (Halo, Alan Wake, ME1). What makes the consoles even better are others making games for them. Nintendo lost in this section this time around. Even though it had some ports, the PS3/360 got the better versions of the games.. The main problem this gen is that Wii games can be made for the PS3/360, but not necessarily the other way around. A good example is Dead Space. DS1&2 were PS3/360. DS:Extraction was for the Wii/PS3. Probably could be made for the 360 too. DS1&2 on the other hand would probably need a lot of modification for a Wii version to be made.

Motion controls on the Wii aren't unique anymore, but the games still are. If the WiiU can add something more to it, it's cool and a must for party players. If someone really has tried the PS Move and compared the sport games with the Wii counterparts, without trying to be biased, the Move versions are more responsive. Sure there more games on the Wii with motion control, but then again new games are being released with PS Move support. The original hardware is the only limit that consoles have nowadays, nothing to say will change that. New revisions can be made, but if everything has to work on the old consoles, the hardware can't be changed too much..

I'll just go enjoy my consoles and the games they offer.

ps. On the argument regarding graphics: If there is powerful hardware present, it's possible to use better graphics. If someone says that's not an issue, try using a PS2 emu or the Wii emu Dolphin on a high-end PC. Games like FFXII and Skyward Sword look a lot better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.