Gaming iTunes alternative?

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm hoping someone can help me here. The gf has been hinting at an ipod nano for a while now so i've gone out and bought one now since i HATE the christmas rush. Anyway since she doesn't have a PC she's going to have to use mine to load songs onto it and i don't want iTunes installed. I fucking hate it, more-so out of principle, but i wont get into that now.

Im wondering if anyone knows of an app that let's me create my own file/folder tree's on the Ipod, so all i need to do is literally drag and drop.
Preferrably a solid, decent and more importantly a reliable app (doesn't corrupt the iPod's file structure or heavily fragment the HDD for instance).

At the end of the day i will install iTunes if it has to be done... reluctantly.

So, any suggestions?

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers mate! ill google froddlepod now and read up on it.

If anyone knows of any other apps i would greatly appreciate the suggestions.
biggrin.gif

[btw merry christmas to all
grog.gif
]

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know there are some of these apps, seeing as 90% of the world hates itunes, but still have an iPod. Not really sure about the name of any though, google probably knows though. As far as i know there is atleast a winamp plugin that somehow lets you do it through winamp.

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers lads, ye i've had a look at froddlepod and literally just read a few user reviews of yamipod. Looking good. Initially, what struck me about yamipod is that it looks a bit like iTunes, which is a big plus since the gf won't have a problem transitioning over to iTunes at a later date (someday, when she owns her own laptop, she can let iTunes desecrate her PC ). I think i might go with yamipod since it doesnt install, supposedly.

And Earl; in terms of using a winamp plugin, that definetely sounds interesting and i will check it out, though i was leaning more towards a stand-alone program.

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singbird looks like a winner, it's uncanny resemblance to iTunes means that she will already be accustomed to the iTunes UI if she ever switches over. Cheers wabsta.

Come to think of it i might use your suggestion too Radio, thing is im not installing iTunes to enable it as a HDD.

What I am going to do though, when i get the chance later tonight; is to download Songbird & Yamipod to see if either of them give me the option to enable it as a HDD. That way the gf can sync using Songbird and i can sync using Winamp, which coincidentally, is my preferred music player. I was quite surprised that i hadn't thought of that already, but since i dont use Winamp's media library much i won't beat myself up over that one.

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just took a quick glance but im gathering that the iPod file system is structured using "KDE 4 libraries". If im wrong ill read more of the KDE techbase documentation later. Cheer's though, since this seems more 'manual' like what i was originally hoping for; to cut out the middle-man (rather application) out of the equation and structure the iPod the same way i've been doing on my HDD for years.

I see a SA flag there Zamo, used to live there "technically" (Lesotho). Wouldn't mind a hot christmas this year...

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have used:

SharePod

CODESharePod is easy to use and works! Heres some of the main features:

* Add & remove music and videos from your iPod
* Add, remove and edit playlists
* Add & remove album art
* Copy music, videos and playlists from your iPod to PC
* Import music/videos into your iTunes library, including playlists and ratings
* Tag editing
* Drag n' drop to and from Explorer
* Simple, clean interface
* Quick to load and use with no unnessary complicated features

And whats more, SharePod is completely free! SharePod was designed from the start to be lightweight, quick and responsive, it has all (well hopefully most...!) of the features you need and none of the features you dont.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...anagers#Windows

Don't know whether you need any help deciding now, but that there's a quick feature comparison over all iPod managers (apart from iTunes).
Personally, last time I looked for an external iPod manager, I used Floola as it supports a lot of music and video files that iTunes doesn't (and won't let me put on my iPod either for some reason).

Anyway, I'm sticking with good old iTunes for now, no idea why you have some kind of personal vendetta against it.

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, nice one trolly. I already thought about putting video's onto the iPod but that all depends on whether she actually wants any video's on it. If and when i come to that bridge ill check out Floola to see how compatible it is with different video formats.

I didn't want to get into this but to vaguely answer your question; iTunes was and is annoying to use. A shitty little run of the mill mp3 player with a 256mb capacity would be more functional in my opinion, primarily... if not completely for it's drag n drop use and lack of 'buy a song for 99c' attitude. Business is business but if you deny me the type of functionality that is to be expected in this day and age, just for a quick buck... than... fuck you?

I pay a certain amount of money for an ipod, we all do and it's not cheap, unless of course money is no object or your spoilt. The thing is you pay all this money for your iPod and then you get "urged" to spend more off iTunes store. I make it a priority to buy products that DON'T ask for more.

They should put this on the box:
PLUS! As an added bonus we will completely wipe your iPod clean and let you find out the hard way that syncing on another persons iTunes can cause almost as much grievance as a well placed kidney stone. Life just got easier!

(I had a 2G Ipod which this happened to and im not sure if this is still an issue, if it is, then i laugh)

Wanna know what i think of Sony?
tongue.gif

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
"super obama world" ha ha.

I just got MK vs DC Universe there yesterday and when i picked Baraka i couldn't help calling him Baraka-bama. Someone should do a photoshop job on him...

Anyway ill add Anapod to the list. Nice one gblock.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rscarrab said:
Alright, nice one trolly. I already thought about putting video's onto the iPod but that all depends on whether she actually wants any video's on it. If and when i come to that bridge ill check out Floola to see how compatible it is with different video formats.

I didn't want to get into this but to vaguely answer your question; iTunes was and is annoying to use. A shitty little run of the mill mp3 player with a 256mb capacity would be more functional in my opinion, primarily... if not completely for it's drag n drop use and lack of 'buy a song for 99c' attitude. Business is business but if you deny me the type of functionality that is to be expected in this day and age, just for a quick buck... than... fuck you?

I pay a certain amount of money for an ipod, we all do and it's not cheap, unless of course money is no object or your spoilt. The thing is you pay all this money for your iPod and then you get "urged" to spend more off iTunes store. I make it a priority to buy products that DON'T ask for more.

They should put this on the box:
PLUS! As an added bonus we will completely wipe your iPod clean and let you find out the hard way that syncing on another persons iTunes can cause almost as much grievance as a well placed kidney stone. Life just got easier!

(I had a 2G Ipod which this happened to and im not sure if this is still an issue, if it is, then i laugh)

Wanna know what i think of Sony?
tongue.gif

that's it? i've owned an ipod for 6 years and always used drag and drop, only synced automatically the first time and i've never bought a single song from the itunes store. i've gone on it to see what's new and then i find it somewhere else. itunes is more flexible than you give it credit for.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
rscarrab said:
Someone should do a photoshop job on him...
2296936122_95d27ecbb7.jpg

Already been done.

Ontopic: There's a thing called iMesh, I believe it was illegal at the start. but now they offer a trial where you can download as much songs as you want for a month, but then WMA's DRM thing kicks in... I think it works for iPods too.

rscarrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gerinych said:
rscarrab said:
Someone should do a photoshop job on him...
2296936122_95d27ecbb7.jpg

Already been done.

Ontopic: There's a thing called iMesh, I believe it was illegal at the start. but now they offer a trial where you can download as much songs as you want for a month, but then WMA's DRM thing kicks in... I think it works for iPods too.

Ha! Id say there's a lot more obama parodies to come...
Cheers, i heard about iMesh before, but i think the whole trial thingy scared me off... and DRM...

@nando
"That's it?", well let me put it to you like this --thats all it takes. iTunes isn't flexible enough for me; to give it any credit what-so-ever. The only merit ill give it is that it's great for first time users.
To yourself and anyone else; let's agree to disagree -- iam not registering another keystroke in reference to why i don't like iTunes. The thread's title is "iTunes alternative", not "Justify my dislike for iTunes" (which i ended up doing but hoped not too).

Oh and are you referring to drag n drop into the iTunes media library? I was referring to using internet explorer to create your own folder tree's.

Either way i won't know which one is best till after christmas day.
Unless anyone knows of a definitive hum-dinger of an iTunes alternative (that's better than what has already been suggested) than i should be fine for the moment with all these suggestions.

(btw ill read up on iMesh now)

EDIT:
Cheers Wok247, i just looked at Floola there, that looks good too. Ahhh, im spoiled for choice now.
blink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill