Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys & gals,
As some of you may know, back in November my wife amscrayed and left me holding the (empty) bag. No job, no money... no wife. Times have been tough to say the least. I had been a stay at home dad (housewife) for almost 5 years, and suddenly the gaping maw of realworld comes biting down on my pitiful head.

Desperate times require desperate measures. I haven't been in a school for over 25 years.. I would have graduated high school in '82, but after three years of skipping 10th grade classes, I gave up. So here I am, needing a decent job and not being able to get anything due to my drop-out status.

I signed up for the GED (HS diploma equivalent) at my local community college.

Manditory 12 hours of class time and a series of pre-tests to see if I even qualify to take the GED and if not, well, more class time till I do. Surprisingly, to me anyway, I aced all the pre-tests first go, except for math, since I didn't really get much geometry and algebra in 9th grade and skipped all my math classes in 10th. So for the past 3 weeks I've been studying my skinny butt off, trying to learn all the maths.. I re-took my math pre-test and... aced it.

Today was the day I was scheduled to take the first 3 of 5 tests for the GED, the real deal.

AND IT SNOWED AND SCHOOL WAS CANCELLED!

I just had to share that. Last night was the first time in my life I've ever said..
"I hope it doesn't snow tomorrow so I can go to school!"

-mother

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Total bummer man. I cant say I know the feeling, but just know that when it IS time to take the GED test, you'll ace it if you did so well on the pre-test. My late brother and my fiancee both got their GED's easily and they were not the greatest in math either.

Things will only go UP.

P.S. 3x 10th grade? My bro dropped the ball between 8th and 9th O_O

iciclebox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see why you aced the English sections. I'm a high school English teacher, and I rarely see posts anywhere near that length without major grammatical or spelling mistakes.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
P.S. 3x 10th grade? My bro dropped the ball between 8th and 9th O_O

If I'd have dropped the "bong" back then... I'd be Carl Sagan right now!
tongue.gif

I can see why you aced the English sections. I'm a high school English teacher, and I rarely see posts anywhere near that length without major grammatical or spelling mistakes.
Oh, I'm sure you spotted a few.
biggrin.gif

Actually, besides math, the most frightening test I had was the essay I had to write. My teachers loved it. I was dumbstruck.. I don't consider myself a writer, not even almost.

I will add that the teachers over there have been completely awesome. Teachers have my undying respect.
bow.gif

Do I sound old yet?
wink.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I rarely see posts anywhere near that length without major grammatical or spelling mistakes.
You mean your students can't write that much without making major errors? High school students whose mother tongue is English?
I always find it ironic when someone from a non-English speaking country posts a question and then goes on to profusely apologize for their lack of grammatical skills.. when what they posted is easier to understand than the average post from an American teen.

Of course that might explain why I'm doing so well in school.
unsure.gif

Education hasn't been a priority in the U.S. for quite some time.. sad to say. That's one of the reasons I respect teachers over here so much. They've got an uphill battle.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that it did snow
frown.gif
(wow you dont hear that often eh?) At least youve got more time to study!!!
biggrin.gif
use it to your advantage

You should make the best of it and go out there and make some snow men! (and women
wub.gif
)

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm studying, more maths, actually geometry is kinda neat... looks like I might've been missing something cool all along.
..but no, not enough snow to do anything with, just enough to scare the city government into closing things.
I actually drove to the school and waited outside for 45 minutes until somebody came along and said they wouldn't be opening.

oh, and...

On a side note, whenever I hear that song by Danzig I always think of you....or that little man in your avatar at least... :wtf:
Well..
If you want to find hell with me...
..I can show you what it's like.
wink.gif

smileydanzig.gif
SHINJIIIIIIIIYAAAAAHHHHH

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
We still haven't had any snow this winter... Instead we've got a fucking huge ass rainstorm today. I almost couldn't get back home from work...
unsure.gif
Damn, I'm scared of global warming now.
blink.gif

Nice to hear you're doing something about your "official education".
smile.gif
I hope you get back on your feet, soon.

mthrnite

So it goes.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Lookout, I know I shouldn't laugh, but
rofl2.gif

it's like car ballet or something.. that first car.. jeez!

and OrR, thanks brother, when I get my head above water a bit, I'm coming to see ya.
Save me a spot on the couch!

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It snowed in malibu, ca.

Scary as **** is what my friend says, its been fifty years since that last happened.

Poor hobos will freeze.

For got to say: Sorry bout that mrthnite, good luckwhen you finally take it!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
good on ya for getting back into the school business!

much respect for your efforts and the teachers,
OSW

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Great, our fucking huge tree came loose. It's only being held by the roots that are going under the concrete plate of the house. It's moving left and right with every little blow of wind and the earth around it with it. Damn, I'm scared now.
unsure.gif
My stupid mother won't admit there is a problem, though.
wtf.gif
I somehow need to get that piece of crap cut down tomorrow... No chance doing it myself, though, the thing would probably kill me.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Slower speeds for gen4