jamesm182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post - just got myself a secondhand new 2DS XL last week and very pleased so far - last DS I had was a DSi a few years ago so a nice upgrade.

Anyway, I think I may have an issue with the top screen - there's a horizontal line (blue I think) running across it.

When I first got the console, I didn't notice it and actually don't think it was there. I noticed it a few days later (I installed CFW in the meantime) and I'm sure after restarting it disappeared for a while (unless I just couldn't see it as it's hard to see against certain backgrounds). Now it's back though and a restart doesn't seem to get rid of it unfortunately. Also rather weirdly, I can't see it at all when the screen goes fully white. You'd think I'd be able to see it as it's blue... with that in mind, not sure if it's hardware or software.

Can anyone offer any advice on what might solve it, or is it hardware and something I'll just have to live with...? I've included a couple of pictures below. As you can see it's very subtly against grey etc, but against red it's very noticeable. I understand the new 2DS XL doesn't have the greatest screen in the world so not sure if it's just that either!!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20190328_094935.jpg

IMG_20190328_095003.jpg

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
looks like a hardware issue, honestly i feel like the n2DS is just way too fragile on the top screen, i have seen tons of n2ds consoles with the top LCD cracked as they removed the metal frame that was in all other 3DS models, so even fairly light knocks to the top of the console can crack the screen.....so try get a decent case if you plan to store it in your bag or anything

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think you need to replace the screen, though it could be an issue with the ribbon cable being damaged slightly or not properly connected. The screens for n2DS XL are hard to come by and expensive.

jamesm182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys I feared it could be hardware but wanted to see if it was a common issue or if anyone had experienced it before etc.

I have a decent case now and honestly it's a little annoying but if it doesn't get any worse I'll probably just live with it - it's really not that noticeable most of the time - only really on certain colours like that red in one of my photos. Sometimes it's completely invisible. Just hoping it doesn't get worse or anything.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shouldn't be stuck like that or have it be a hardware issue. Even if the console its self was launched before the CFW actually booted. But that doesn't mean the CFW is at fault or the regular fw. It just means your stuck at ""that screen."" Until you actually install luma again. And even if you install it again its still likely going to make you stuck on one of the 4 screens for uninstalling everything. And then re-installing everything step by step. (Please do not attempt.)

The only way to fix your console. If you have confirmed everything is brand new or working is to fix it with some psychdellic tools no one has. But the fix is likely a simple one.

It could also be one or two things.
(Your SD Card. Which is common for 3ds hardware.)
Or your software.

Are you able to boot into godmode9 through luma.

jamesm182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It shouldn't be stuck like that or have it be a hardware issue. Even if the console its self was launched before the CFW actually booted. But that doesn't mean the CFW is at fault or the regular fw. It just means your stuck at ""that screen."" Until you actually install luma again. And even if you install it again its still likely going to make you stuck on one of the 4 screens for uninstalling everything. And then re-installing everything step by step. (Please do not attempt.)

The only way to fix your console. If you have confirmed everything is brand new or working is to fix it with some psychdellic tools no one has. But the fix is likely a simple one.

It could also be one or two things.
(Your SD Card. Which is common for 3ds hardware.)
Or your software.

Are you able to boot into godmode9 through luma.

Everything is working fine, apart from the line on the screen? I can play games just fine. Or am I getting confused? Sorry - quite new to this!

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your talking about the screens and its just the parallax. If its standing out more in the sun or in the night. That means the LCD screens are going bad. Or are using more charge then they need to. (or there lose with the small strap or ribbon cable hat connects both or one of the LCD's.) I thought you were talking about the 3ds crashing with the "lines"

Its unlikely that its the software. But some games that have intensive color depth like Super Mario 3d land and Super Smash Bros 3ds. Can cause this especisally when played for long hours at a time. It ""Can fade eventually but can come back in minutes or hours of gameplay"". If there's any other games like GBA games or SNES (emulation or cias.) Then that could be why to because gba games do have higher contrast than the 3ds title's in general.

You likely bought it new. So nothing is wrong. But the 3ds system its self. Is likely ""debunked"" but its not. To clear up mind or fault. In order to change or improve the parallax. Do not take anything on or off the screen. And do not change the 3d depth slider. And do not clean the 3ds if you have already in somehow or anyway. (Remove any small surfaces or debry with a brush or small Swiffer brush if its something that can easily be removed.)

The only reason I can think of why the parallax might be there (and its new by the way.) Is that the 3ds was ordered by a manufactoer differently so the screens may bare small resemblance in some countries and territories. So 3ds's built in Finland or Hongkong. May use different retina display technology differently. (Like on a LCD TV.) But in NA or the EU it is different because LCD's are made more affordable.

Did you ever run or put a cartridge in the game before looking at some of the other applicstions like the eshop or HS? To my knowledge I think that's why some of the 3ds's displays have that weird contrast in mind because it communicates psychdellic between all game carts sometimes for streetpass and spotpass data. (Not always. But sometimes.)

I forgot to mention this to. But the way to fix it (the easiest way.) Is to just have the screen on or turned onto black for awhile (use e lowest light setting.) or clean the console and the cartridge slot for any dust or panning.

The 3d depth slider. Is another one that might be the problem. (I went through a few ds's and 3ds either breaking the sd slot. Or the screen sometimes.) And I have noticed the parallax espescially with using homebrew and the depth slider being slightly tilted up or down to a moveable stance.
a ds lite
ds phat
gba (original)
gba (the one you hold in two hands.)
another ds lite
a old debunked ds lite
a old 3ds
a dsi (white) and black
another dsi my sister had
and a 3ds xl my friend had for awhile. But then sold it.
And a new 3ds xl red

As of now the 3ds I have right now. (new 3ds xl) works perfectly but the hinge is slightly torn or broken apart because I dropped it once. And it kind of got ""shredded apart"" but nothing broke on it. It still works fine despite having a gaping hole. :tpi:

Last edited by petethepug,

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you notice the same line when you load a different payload like godmode9? If you have a line of stuck blue pixels (due to wherever the issue lies) it would make sense you wouldn't see it on a white screen as all the pixels would be on, you would be most likely to see it on a dark screen like godmode9.

jamesm182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your talking about the screens and its just the parallax. If its standing out more in the sun or in the night. That means the LCD screens are going bad. Or are using more charge then they need to. (or there lose with the small strap or ribbon cable hat connects both or one of the LCD's.) I thought you were talking about the 3ds crashing with the "lines"

Its unlikely that its the software. But some games that have intensive color depth like Super Mario 3d land and Super Smash Bros 3ds. Can cause this especisally when played for long hours at a time. It ""Can fade eventually but can come back in minutes or hours of gameplay"". If there's any other games like GBA games or SNES (emulation or cias.) Then that could be why to because gba games do have higher contrast than the 3ds title's in general.

You likely bought it new. So nothing is wrong. But the 3ds system its self. Is likely ""debunked"" but its not. To clear up mind or fault. In order to change or improve the parallax. Do not take anything on or off the screen. And do not change the 3d depth slider. And do not clean the 3ds if you have already in somehow or anyway. (Remove any small surfaces or debry with a brush or small Swiffer brush if its something that can easily be removed.)

The only reason I can think of why the parallax might be there (and its new by the way.) Is that the 3ds was ordered by a manufactoer differently so the screens may bare small resemblance in some countries and territories. So 3ds's built in Finland or Hongkong. May use different retina display technology differently. (Like on a LCD TV.) But in NA or the EU it is different because LCD's are made more affordable.

Did you ever run or put a cartridge in the game before looking at some of the other applicstions like the eshop or HS? To my knowledge I think that's why some of the 3ds's displays have that weird contrast in mind because it communicates psychdellic between all game carts sometimes for streetpass and spotpass data. (Not always. But sometimes.)

I forgot to mention this to. But the way to fix it (the easiest way.) Is to just have the screen on or turned onto black for awhile (use e lowest light setting.) or clean the console and the cartridge slot for any dust or panning.

The 3d depth slider. Is another one that might be the problem. (I went through a few ds's and 3ds either breaking the sd slot. Or the screen sometimes.) And I have noticed the parallax espescially with using homebrew and the depth slider being slightly tilted up or down to a moveable stance.
a ds lite
ds phat
gba (original)
gba (the one you hold in two hands.)
another ds lite
a old debunked ds lite
a old 3ds
a dsi (white) and black
another dsi my sister had
and a 3ds xl my friend had for awhile. But then sold it.
And a new 3ds xl red

As of now the 3ds I have right now. (new 3ds xl) works perfectly but the hinge is slightly torn or broken apart because I dropped it once. And it kind of got ""shredded apart"" but nothing broke on it. It still works fine despite having a gaping hole. :tpi:

Sorry for the slow reply. It's a "new" 2DS XL that I bought secondhand, not a 3DS.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you notice the same line when you load a different payload like godmode9? If you have a line of stuck blue pixels (due to wherever the issue lies) it would make sense you wouldn't see it on a white screen as all the pixels would be on, you would be most likely to see it on a dark screen like godmode9.

Haven't tried it on GodMode9 but from what you're saying I think it probably is a line of stuck pixels for whatever reason, as it doesn't show up on white (or yellow on mario 3d land), and is only visible against certain colours - reds and greys seem to be the ones mostly.

Do you think there is a way to fix this with software, e.g. flashing different bright colours on the screen to unstick it?

jamesm182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the slow reply. It's a "new" 2DS XL that I bought secondhand, not a 3DS.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Haven't tried it on GodMode9 but from what you're saying I think it probably is a line of stuck pixels for whatever reason, as it doesn't show up on white (or yellow on mario 3d land), and is only visible against certain colours - reds and greys seem to be the ones mostly.

Do you think there is a way to fix this with software, e.g. flashing different bright colours on the screen to unstick it?

Actually just tried godmode9 and I can't see it on the dark screen?

jamesm182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your had stuck (aka always on) pixles for to aa hardesth problem they should really show up on a dark background.

The line is definitely a blue colour. I had a PSP once with a coupon of dead pixels and they showed up as white against a dark background. Also they were just a couple of random pixels and not a whole line.

Do you think it's likely the screen itself then instead?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Patient zero giggity +1