Hacking Is Wii bricked?

veyn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try to make this topic as organized as possible.

My Wii specifcations:

My Wii is updated to 4.0 and it is not a LU64 model.
My Wii was a virgin Wii (no mods) until last night (pun somewhat intended..)
It had no problems at all before this.

What I did:

Last night, I softmodded my Wii to install the Homebrew Channel as well as Wiigator's backuploader gamma v3. I used the Ultimate Wii Soft-mod Guide and it worked perfectly. After getting the homebrew channel, I downloaded the Homebrew browser and downloaded a few games off of it.
I have not use the backup launcher yet, but I did use Waninkoko's wad manager to install a couple Virtual Console games onto my Wii. Those worked fine.

What Happened:

Today, I was browing the Homebrew Browser for some games to download, when my screen suddenly changed to this. I had encountered this screen 2 times before (a simple restart worked), but this time, when I powered off and on, I got a blank, black screen where the "Health and Safety" screen should be.

Nothing happens after this point. The screen stays black. The power light is green, but to turn it off requires about 5 seconds of holding the button down. The Wii remotes will not register to the wii, even after pushing the sync buttons. I plugged every cable into my friend's Wii and his works just fine, so my Wii is surely the problem here, not the cables or the TV. Also the disc starts spinning and the blue light turns on, but there is no audio or video still.

I unplugged it for 10 minutes and tried again, but I was met with the same problem. I do not have preloader installed (Im not sure if it would even work in this situation).

What do I do?:

So what should I do in this situation? Has anyone else had this problem? Is my Wii bricked?

If I take my Wii to NOA (I believe it is still under warranty), will they fix it? Or will they refuse because it is soft-modded? Would I get in trouble with NOA in that situation?

Please respond back.
I am not exactly a rich man. Buying a console is no small purchase for me, so I desperately need to fix this Wii.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird. Nothing from the homebrew browser should be able to brick your Wii and those DSI exception errors just require a restart.

And you didn't install BootMii at all?

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm sounds like you're going to have to send it in to Nintendo.
I have no idea if Nintendo has a way to check what's installed on your Wii with this kind of brick, but you might be able to get a free replacement if you lie.

Tell them something like:
"I was updating and the power went out"

I have no idea why it would just brick like that, though

veyn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
That's weird. Nothing from the homebrew browser should be able to brick your Wii and those DSI exception errors just require a restart.

And you didn't install BootMii at all?
No, I didn't install anything other than HBC and Backup Launcher.
I used Waninkoko's Wad Manager to install both of them. Bannerbomb, I think.

QUOTE(piratesmack @ May 29 2009, 11:42 PM) Hm sounds like you're going to have to send it in to Nintendo.
I have no idea if Nintendo has a way to check what's installed on your Wii with this kind of brick, but you might be able to get a free replacement if you lie.

Tell them something like:
"I was updating and the power went out"

I have no idea why it would just brick like that, though
What if they fix it and see the Homebrew Channel and Backup Launcher in my channels (if they manage to fix it). Will I be in trouble with NOA?
Also, I don't have to send it to them. An NOA building is near to where I live. (I had them replace my Wii a year ago. not sure if my new one still has warranty)

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if they'll be able to see it, nor do I know if they'll care even if they do. There was that deal with NOE charging extra on HackMii, but so far I haven't heard of NOA doing the same thing.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you got that code dump, how did you turn off your Wii?
Did you hold the power button or unplug it?

If you unplugged it, try removing the power cable for a little while.

EDIT:
I see you've already tried this, but it wouldn't hurt to try again

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yesterday I modded my 2nd Wii (bought it ultra-cheap from a guy on ebay):
The first thing I did, was using bannerbomb in conjunction with hackmii installer v.0.2
It was so easy and my Wii was brick-proof from the beginning on!

Once bootmii was running fine on boot2 (and I've made a backup of my nand) I started to use the ultimate guide. During the whole process I did 2 more backups (of 3.2 and 4.0 Systemmenu) to be on the save side and if necessary to be able to revert to the older versions.

Maybe this approach should be integrated into the ultimate guide to prevent future bricks of beginners to wii modding?!?

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SFenton said:
That is odd. What .WADs did you end up installing? I'm just curious.

When using WAD Manger 1.4 from within the homebrew channel exiting it will lead you back to the hbc and not to a restart of the wii. So i can happen that a bad wad is installed hours before you recognize that your wii is bricked.

veyn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
piratesmack said:
When you got that code dump, how did you turn off your Wii?
Did you hold the power button or unplug it?

If you unplugged it, try removing the power cable for a little while.

EDIT:
I see you've already tried this, but it wouldn't hurt to try again

yeah, still doesn't work.
When I got the codes, I had to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off.

QUOTE(SFenton @ May 30 2009, 12:11 AM) That is odd. What .WADs did you end up installing? I'm just curious.

HBC
Backup Launcher
Pokemon Snap
Super Metroid
Megaman 9

I really wanted to play snap... dangit.

---

Anyways, I called NOA today and the service lady was real nice. She gave me a repair code free of charge, even though my warranty was dead. So I'm going to drive down to the NOA in Redmond this week and get it fixed up or replaced.

I'm just scared that they will decide not to repair it if they find out about my soft-modding and downloading of the VC games... But they can't know if I downloaded those games legally or illegally, so that's one thing off my chest.

Has anyone else taken (or sent) a soft-modded Wii too be repaired? Did you encounter any trouble?

Also, after this, I'm pretty hesitant to soft-mod my wii again...I suppose I should just consult GBAtemp with modding help If I decide to try again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge