Is "Turning A Game Over" Even Possible Anymore?

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So waaaay back before video games had a plot, easter eggs and multiple endings, the only REAL replay value for VCS, Intellivision, et. al. cartridges was a high score. There was however a secondary goal that is now all but defunct; and that was, "turning a game over." Much like flipping the odometer on your car, the goal was to get the score all the way back to 000,000.

I've experimented with DS cheats and have noticed a trend that all games max out at 999,999 (or some such numbers.) So my question is this: are there any games out now for any of the current consoles that are actually "flippable?"
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't think of anything for a really long time and then it hit me.
There's a 200 point DSiWare puzzle game called primrose, and being that it's DSiWare, I don't think it's possible to cheat at this game (yet). I played it off and on for hours mastering symmetry techniques and shit, and at first I was really amazed that I managed to complete a game with over double the default high score. My high score is like near 50,000 points now, and I remember looking up info about the game because I couldn't really tell what a genuinely high score was based off my own gameplay alone.

And then I found a picture on the official website for the game: http://www.primrosegame.com/
In Screenshot #7, the high score is pictured as being over 10.5 million points.
That screenshot actually made me quit playing it because now I know that such high scores are possible, I'm not even motivated to beat my own anymore.

I know what you're talking about though. One of my exes had a ridiculous high score in Defender.. and I've met more than one person claiming to have beaten the "original Tetris" (gameboy or NES or freaking Tandy home computer, who the heck knows..)

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Imagine that you take the time machine.

the_time_machine_large_01.jpg

And I say to the people of the early 90's that future games will come with the following as standard and always on:

game_genie_pkg_fv_m_6530.JPG

They won't believe you at all! Now the videogames have an standard Game Genie because the gameplay content and the player have a good time is not the main objective, but admire the huge production values and the amazing narrative that developers have created. Videogames are no longer about satisfying users, go on self-satisfaction of "The Industry."

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
monkat said:
Ritsuki said:
Rydian said:
Not capping a value is a programming oversight that was last seen somewhere around the Genesis.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Thanks for raising your post count by pointing out that he pointed that out.

Thanks for pointing out that I pointed that he pointed out that to raise my post count.

Or not.

Now on topic, if I remember, that's what we call an overflow error no ? The fact that the counter resets is just a "security mesaure" to avoid problem. Wasn't that the same type of bug they used for the Twilight Hack on Wii ?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, getting 000,000 was just an oversight. Scores are now capped.

I don't think there is a game with that problem anymore, unless it was intentional.
unsure.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ages ago I did consider trying to get one of my saves for NSMB to max out.

I've barely bothered, but there's still a long...long way to go.

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Not capping a value is a programming oversight that was last seen somewhere around the Genesis.
Come to think of it, there were programming oversights with non-capped integers in the 8-bit game systems. The famous one being Super Mario Bros. for the NES where anything over 99 lives would change the numbers to colored shapes... but you'd have 0 lives remaining. Curse you Level 3-1!
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?