Is there any snes emulator more compatible with games than latest snes

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by azotyp, Apr 5, 2008.

1. azotyp
    OP

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    Is there any snes emulator more compatible with games than SNEmulDSv06a
    I'm asking that because I wanted to try couple of games and not all of them run , those unlucky were, super mario rpg, Castlevania - Dracula X, chrono trigger

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    hmmm ... no, I don't think so ... compatibility is still nowhere near 100% on the emulators designed to run on handhelds, yet.

3. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Ah...I can't remember which emu I was using (it probably was SNEmulDSv06a) but Chrono Trigger worked fine with some visual hiccups.

4. Artheido

Member Artheido GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It'd be great if I could play Killer Instinct on my DS T_T
    I wonder if there'll every be a KI DS... Probably not...

5. Thanatos19

Newcomer Thanatos19 Member

Canada
    Super Mario RPG is gonna be a long wait as it requires a different chip the Mode 7 one which can't be emulated on the DS yet.

6. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why doesn't Nintendo just go ahead and port this damn thing to the DS? You know their would be plenty of people who would buy it(I know I'd actually fork out for the real cart)...

7. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    The only one of those you listed that doesn't run is SMRPG. Dracula X runs almost perfect and chrono trigger is fully playable.

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
  9. Guat

Newcomer Guat Member

Puerto Rico
    I don't want to start a new topic for this, but i want to ask something...

Is there anyone actually developing a new nes/snes emulator for the DS, or at least updating one of the existing ones?

The main problem i see in the nes/snes emulation community is not that the DS hardware is too weak or difficult to work with, the main problem i see is that i don't think there's anyone who's actually working on it.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    one of the main heads in the scene, loopy, likes to start projects or port over other projects then leave them be. he is always working on something but never seems to see anything through. recently dwedit (updater for goomba color, pocketnes) announced that he has taken a look at the nesDS source code. he said it appears to be pocketnes 997 frozen in time with many problems and issues that he has addressed during the pocketnes updates. i don't know if he will make the jump to the slot1 emulation but there is always hope. 2 of the snes emus are still being updated but updates come slow. you have to keep in mind the complexity to code at that level and then trying to emulate each of the issues that the individule roms present. i know from reading some of the logs about pocketnes that not all games are made equally. some stuff has to be tricked, hacked, emulated in other ways. you can't just code something in software that works the same was as the hardware and expect each game to run on it. i remember reading how sonic for sega gamegear had to use a special hack to make the first screen load after a certain number of graphics had emulated, or the rom would crash. it is stuff like this that keeps these projects down and makes updates slow. plus consider that those who are coding them have a life, a job, kids, a dog, etc. if you have ever sat down to do any complex coding you would quickly see that it is never something that can be accomplished in a few months time.

with all that said you should check the pocket heaven forums. read some of what is going on and hit up some of the authors with some questions. getting inside of their heads is the best way to understand emulation on the ds.

http://boards.pocketheaven.com/index.php?s...b74a48081a4778c

-another world

11. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i just wanted to ask if there is any snes emulator on ds that emulates (BS)satellaview roms

12. Cheesemonkey

Newcomer Cheesemonkey Member

United States
    Games with a super FX chip won't run at all. Starfox, Yoshi's island, etc. They have a chip in the cart that increases the processing power of the SNES by about three.

The DS isn't powerful enough to do that.

13. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States