Is there any research into the back compat Xbox 360 'mode'?

eternalsenses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you know 360 games on xbox one/series boot into a VM of sorts containing the 360 os and the game. they trimmed down the interface a lot but from userland you can sometimes 'break out' a little bit and see extra parts of the dash etc (account management sometimes pops in the guide). If you select storage management it even kicks you from the game into the dashboard. Was curious if there's been any research/wiki documenting what is in this OS exactly? Could you make it run other games? I know there's some level of recompilation for xbox oneso probably not but just wondering if anybody documented this mode

nothing-to-see-here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are hacked compatibility files, but I think the name is misleading. they're just the same compatibility files with new bc. however, not much. it's like only a few more games added. math made one that allows you to see the guide, which I think might be what you're talking about. it's standalone like the ps2 emulator on the ps3. however, unlike that one, at least the base emulator, it's limited to like less than half of the total library. I'm sure it would take some serious reverse engineering to get all games working, and most people have moved on from both the 360 and the ps3. I mean the FSD team has disbanded even.

edit: oops, I was thinking the 360, sorry.

TomChaai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Not really, from what I understand the 360 game VM disk is decrypted by SoC hardware, verified and mounted by the platform virtualization just like an Xbox One title.

Everything the 360 emulator can access as an Xbox One title is just regular X1 gameOS environment., not anything outside of it. The game or system OS doesn’t handle any physical file or data chunks. Doing anything inside the VM doesn’t leak back to the lower level system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Hey boi, keep your nuts out of chat. Unless you want them to get roasted. :ninja: