Hacking Is there a way to install LetterBomb+HackMii when the site's down?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jamestheawesomedude.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a black screen, any idea what that's about?

Qkay, what should havd happened:

1. Plug your 2 GB or smaller SD card into your computer
2. Run Wilbrand on it, uncheck the HackMii box, but be EXTRA sure the MAC address is correct. Triple-check this.
3. Open the HackMii zipfile, open the folder in it, extract the pile of files+folders to the root folder on your SD card.
4. Put the SD card in the Wii
5. Go to messageboard, open the letter with the bomb in it
Have you gotten this far yet? Which steps havd you done so far? Alos, step 5 may make your screen go blank for a bit while it loads HackMii.

Glacko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2. Run Wilbrand on it, uncheck the HackMii box, but be EXTRA sure the MAC address is correct. Triple-check this.
3. Open the HackMii zipfile, open the folder in it, extract the pile of files+folders to the root folder on your SD card.
Have you gotten this far yet? Which steps havd you done so far? Alos, step 5 may make your screen go blank for a bit while it loads HackMii.

Nevermind I got it :) just had to put in boot.elf and private, what should i download next? BootMii as boot2?

gladson

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm also having the same problem, I create the file with the wiibrand, plus it does not work and put the HackMii 1.2 and still not avail the geito sites is expected back.

Glacko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also I used an 8gig instead of my 512mb, should be fine right?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Also I used an 8gig instead of my 512mb, should be fine right?

Absolutely not. It's vital that the SD card be an SD card (as opposed to the more modern SDHC cards.)

If the card says SDHC on the side, or is over 2 Gig, then it's SDHC and will not work for patching the Wii... :( sorry.

On the bright side, I can't think of a way that that would brick your Wii, so (hopefully) no harm done!

Glacko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely not. It's vital that the SD card be an SD card (as opposed to the more modern SDHC cards.)

If the card says SDHC on the side, or is over 2 Gig, then it's SDHC and will not worx for patching the Wii... :( sorry.

What do you mean patching the Wii? I've installed Homebrew and boot2, have I messed up already D:

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/compatible-sd-cards-for-softmod-virgin-wii-4-3u.327127/
Says I can use 8gig now, anyway thanks for the files and Homebrew seems to be working fine :)

Ahh, I thought you were using the older model with the GC ports.. glad you got it working!

Yeah I replied in that thread, if you could send it I'd be forever in your debt :D
The only thing I ask in return for the file is that you share it with the next person you see that needs it.:yaywii:

My post got removed by the mods for "containing a broken link", even though the link was 100% functioning, so evidently this file is considered contraband to some extent... all the more reason to make it more widely available! ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
nothing to do with a broken link, more a broken rule.
You said it yourself "Download it quick before it gets a DMCA takedown notice!", you knew it would be taken down but posted it anyway.

Making it more widely available is what the authors asked not to do. some devs don't like re-hosting and/or distribution of their files in other packages.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
nothing to do with a broken link, more a broken rule.
You said it yourself "Download it quick before it gets a DMCA takedown notice!", you knew it would be taken down but posted it anyway.

Making it more widely available is what the authors asked not to do. some devs don't like re-hosting and/or distribution of their files in other packages.

Lol dude, I was joking, 'cuz the DMCA is so strict about piracy. I never actually thought it would be taken down for real.:unsure:

It's not really that bad, though, because the authors want you to download it from *their* site, which is down 99 out of 100 times... It's not like I'm coming out and saying "ooh, look at me! I'm so 1337 because I made this tool to hack your Wii!" I'm simply providing a functioning way to download a file that was intended to be publicly available anyway.

I didn't realize the mods would freak out like they did...

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not really that bad, though, because the authors want you to download it from *their* site, which is down 99 out of 100 times... It's not like I'm coming out and saying "ooh, look at me! I'm so 1337 because I made this tool to hack your Wii!" I'm simply providing a functioning way to download a file that was intended to be publicly available anyway.

I didn't realize the mods would freak out like they did...
It has prolly to do with your attitude...the way you say things, which brings me to you site down remark..you are waaaaay of there, i frequently have used the site...i never had the problem of it being down, also there were 4 downs since 2008 if i google it...you are over reacting a bit here.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
It has prolly to do with your attitude...the way you say things, which brings me to you site down remark..you are waaaaay of there, i frequently have used the site...i never had the problem of it being down, also there were 4 downs since 2008 if i google it...you are over reacting a bit here.

The site itself is up, but when you try to download the file, it doesn't work. Tested several times, on different days.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The site itself is up, but when you try to download the file, it doesn't work. Tested several times, on different days.

Yeah this is weird, but they've been hosting the hackmii installer without a hitch for years. For someone who is new to this then they appear to be down a high percentage of the time. Someone who has followed this since the first homebrew channel beta knows they're up 99% of the time. It's all about perspective.

But regardless, it's not looking good that it's still down. Hope it comes back in full soon.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Please don't mention ROM site names
All righty, I installed IOS249, then installed DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad, but now I can't play any legit GC discs (via the Disc channel!:O ) I haven't tried ROMs or backup yet, also this is the first attempt to play a GC game on the Wii..

The Wii is black; it's the older model with the GC controller+memory slots. What am I doing wrong? I'd really like to be able to play my GC discs without having to switch out the cables... Also, I really want to play my Super Smash Bros. backup (yes, I am getting the ROM from --REMOVED--, but I own the game IRL, it just got scratched up. No kidding.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo