Homebrew Is there a way to clone a 3ds to another system without doing a system transfer?

Taronyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ex wife dumped water on my daughter's 3ds. She has donated a 3ds from her house to transfer the data to. The one with the water damage will not boot properly but will boot into godmode9. I don't know what version of firmware it is on as I cannot get into system settings. That being said, I also cannot get into system transfer. Is there a way to move the data (games, saves, PKSM file, eshop games, etc..) from the broken 3ds to the other one. She doesn't care about the data on the target system.

I tried CTR transfer, but I don't think I did it right. The instructions for it in godmode9 doesn't sound like it's for two devices...

Any tutorial you can point me to, or step by step instructions would really help! Thanks in advance!

Jim

Last edited by Taronyx,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you cannot navigate into HOME Menu or homebrew save managers like Checkpoint or JKSM, you can't decrypt or recover your game progress data.

However, if the 3DS motherboard is still intact and only the accessory parts are bad preventing you from booting into HOME Menu, what you can try is swap the motherboard over onto another 3DS of the same model.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's the top screen. Is there a way to disconnect it and see if it will boot?

The 3DS is super picky about having accessory parts disconnected.
  • Damaged audio flex cable? *Pop* Shut off.
  • o3DS WiFi module loose? Blue light on. Blue light off.
  • Newly shared discovery: n3DSXL camera craps out on you? Black Screens of Death brick with working sound in HOME Menu. Edit- Actually, this is one you CAN disconnect as a fix!
  • Probably several other examples, not familiar with.
Tinkering around with the 3DS guts to try to find which part(s) are bad, increases the risk of permanently damage the motherboard (if it's still intact at this point).

The data on that card is encrypted to that specific 3DS. If that motherboard dies, kiss all the game progress and saves ever made on the SD card good-bye.

If you're only going to open the 3DS, consider doing the motherboard swap method first to get the unit working again. Once you've backed up your saves with Checkpoint or JKSM, you can proceed with A-B testing for bad parts if you're not constrained with finance and if the damage does not outwardly appear obvious (use a magnify glasses).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Taronyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure there are JKSV files on the broken 3ds. Can I install the games via CIA on the new 3ds and then transfer the card to it and restore the JKSV saves? It may not get all her progress, but it should get most of it. That might be a good compromise versus jacking with the hardware and losing it all.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure there are JKSV files on the broken 3ds. Can I install the games via CIA on the new 3ds and then transfer the card to it and restore the JKSV saves? It may not get all her progress, but it should get most of it. That might be a good compromise versus jacking with the hardware and losing it all.

Why didn't you say so before!
You got me thinking of the worst case scenario for data loss prevention, (ie : no backed up saves).

Carry on with the reinstall of the game library and restoring the saves then.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Taronyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I wanted to restore all the saves versus the few that are in JKSV. I'll restore what I can from JKSV and then maybe mess with the hardware on the damaged 3ds. One question, what's the purpose of CTRTransfer?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, I wanted to restore all the saves versus the few that are in JKSV. I'll restore what I can from JKSV and then maybe mess with the hardware on the damaged 3ds. One question, what's the purpose of CTRTransfer?
They're for if you bork your 3DS by software and don't have a NAND backup. It is like a universal NAND backup, restores only those parts that aren't unique per system.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The detailed info. Some interesting stuff (read it).

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/4zhe4a/ctrtransfer_what_it_is_and_why_it_works_and_why/

My TL;DR interpretation:
  • Oh crap i didn't back up my SysNAND (hope this works)
  • region changing without the messy sysUpdater
  • downgrading (either 11.5 or 9.2) because i use Gateway?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock