Hacking Is There a Point In Uninstalling CFW?

thepieddragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let's say I wanted to uninstall my CFW. First off, is that even safe to do? I mean, I know how, but could Nintendo still ban online access later if I decided to "go clean" now (the only time I'd actually care about online)?

And let's also say I made a slip-up that could, under other circumstances, result in an excuse for them to NNID ban if I already had an NNID on this console. Would it now be dangerous to, say, remove the CFW and everything that's not official via format and then link my NNID back to it? Or am I paranoid?

EDIT: So new question. Let's say I buy another 3DS as a legit console. I know, despite deleting the NNID off of my current 3DS, that it's still technically tied to my system server side. Would the helpdesk at Nintendo be able to tell if it's tied to a CFW 3DS? Has anybody been denied a transfer due to a modded 3ds?

Last edited by thepieddragon,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
CFW does not affect whether you get banned or not AT ALL, what DOES matter is what you do while you have CFW, so stuff like pirating from the CDN these days is probably certain to flag you and things of that sort. There's absolutely nothing to gain from uninstalling CFW except losing ALL features that come with it, such as pirated games, homebrews, game mods, save editing, injected ROMs, etc.. As for the NNID, with CFW, even if you get an NNID ban, you can simply make a new one in a moment without Nintendo having a way to stop you, something impossible without CFW.

Reactions: thepieddragon

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So let's say I wanted to uninstall my CFW. First off, is that even safe to do? I mean, I know how, but could Nintendo still ban online access later if I decided to "go clean" now (the only time I'd actually care about online)?

And let's also say I made a slip-up that could, under other circumstances, result in an excuse for them to NNID ban if I already had an NNID on this console. Would it now be dangerous to, say, remove the CFW and everything that's not official via format and then link my NNID back to it? Or am I paranoid?
If you're trying to avoid a ban, there's no point uninstalling CFW - your CFW use will already be logged and you'll be banned later whether or not you have CFW installed at that moment. And if you don't have CFW you can't unban yourself so you are stuck as banned.

If you get NNID-banned, logging out and logging in won't help.

thepieddragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW does not affect whether you get banned or not AT ALL, what DOES matter is what you do while you have CFW, so stuff like pirating from the CDN these days is probably certain to flag you and things of that sort. There's absolutely nothing to gain from uninstalling CFW except losing ALL features that come with it, such as pirated games, homebrews, game mods, save editing, injected ROMs, etc.. As for the NNID, with CFW, even if you get an NNID ban, you can simply make a new one in a moment without Nintendo having a way to stop you, something impossible without CFW.

Well that's unfortunate. I'm worried about the NNID ban (should I link it. I thankfully delinked it before all of this) because I do have purchased games attached to that, and I also have that NNID hooked to my Switch.

So if I want to "go clean" the best solution would be to just get another 3DS and keep this CFW one on hand for other things?

Last edited by thepieddragon,

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well that's unfortunate. I'm worried about the NNID ban (should I link it. I thankfully delinked it before all of this) because I do have purchased games attached to that, and I also have that NNID hooked to my Switch.

So if I want to "go clean" the best solution would be to just get another 3DS and keep this CFW one on hand for other things?
As long as you don't do anything stupid with online multiplayer you'll be fine, I've had CFW linked to my NNID for a few years and I haven't been ever banned

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Don't be, they only ban if you cheat in online multiplayer or pirate games before they come out.
It should be noted that cheating online isn't even a certain ban, most bans for cheating only happen on whatever Pokemon games last came out. Also, even bans for cheating or for playing leaked/pirated copies are LFCS bans, NOT NNID bans, so there's absolutely no point in worrying about getting banned, as it literally only takes a minute to grab a public seed and unban yourself:P

Reactions: MichiS97

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol