Hacking Is there a card......

sbm888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all,

I've been out of the DS flash cart scene for a few years, use to have pretty much all the DS flashcarts and loved the ease of use for all of them.

finally got the N3DS and realised nothing out there really is as simple as it used to be. I bought it for my wife, so was hoping there'd be a card out there that would simply boot up and play games like the good ol' days with my DS/DSi.....doesn't seem like it is

so my question to you all, is there/or likely to be a card out there that could simply play games (drag/drop) without loading up other exploits (browser, etc) that is also region free for the N3DS?

or is the N3DS much more complicated now and requires these exploits to work?

mrolive

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Go for the Sky3DS, easy to setup and works great. It is also region free with the help of another easy to use exploit courtesy of smealum (a 3ds hacker)

Source: I have one

Ok hold on before the gateway ppl start yelling at me, OP wants SOMETHING SIMPLE, and the Sky3DS is as such.

Reactions: netovsk

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gateway user here, I would say based on what you described in your post, Sky3DS would actually be the perfect choice for you in this case.

No Region free though.

Reactions: sbm888

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sadly the only option for now is Sky3ds. It's pretty easy to use but it's not as simple as a drag and drop operation - you'll need a tool to write the roms to the card. Sky3ds is region free only at the moment. Basically if you don't care about online features if/when the card gets blocked it will serve you well til it can. Of you're looking for a more permanent and safe solution GW is the way to go.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't play online or use eShop, sky3DS is fine. Gateway would work better though if you plan on using either of those features, since sky3DS has the potential to be patched (and is in Nintendo's current interest to get patched). .CIA installing might also fit the bill, since you can just have all your games in the native launcher, so Gateway could work there as well. As for region free, currently the only option aside from Gateway (regionthree) is supported by everything except the N3DS, and it's a bit crude imo.

sbm888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for all your responses - I really appreciate it. I just don't want my wife to accidentally block the DS, or can't save becuase she forgot to press something.
i doubt I will go online with it.

there seems to be some inconsistency with people's responses to region free on Sky3DS? yes or no?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gateway is not really all that complicated to set up and use if you just want to play games. You start branching out from there into funky stuff with saves and try and make it work the way YOU want it to, then it gets hairy. Once set up it is rather simple to use, I trained my 9 year old on it in about 10 minutes.

To keep it as simple as possible some rules:

Use emunand for all roms and existing carts and forget about using sysnand. If you want to keep your existing cart saves you need to continue using your existing carts. Just stay away from eshop games and DLC. Dealing with them is not tough but just another layer of complexity. Buy more storage than you will need for the life of the product so you don't need to transfer data. Never let it sleep in sysnand. Going online is easy but again more complexity. If you don't exit emunand, you don't need to run the browser exploit again.

That said, support has not been released for the N3DS, but hopefully Soon™. (No one knows when)

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
thanks for all your responses - I really appreciate it. I just don't want my wife to accidentally block the DS, or can't save becuase she forgot to press something.

there seems to be some inconsistency with people's responses to region free on Sky3DS? yes or no?
Sky3ds isn't region free.

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sky3ds alone is not region free.

BUT if you use sky3ds together with a different piece of software called regionthree (which is free btw), then you can get region free on every 3ds console type EXCEPT new 3ds.

Sky3ds + regionthree + new 3ds will not give you region free

Reactions: netovsk and sbm888

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3ds alone is not region free.

BUT if you use sky3ds together with a different piece of software called regionthree (which is free btw), then you can get region free on every 3ds console type EXCEPT new 3ds.

Sky3ds + regionthree + new 3ds will not give you region free

Yep, although for simplicity, regionthree is FAR from easy to do, especially for someone not familiar with things. And it requires blind selection, which is a tiny bit tricky. If it's ported to N3DS I might end up using it for booting my copy of Cubic Ninja, but for easy of use I wouldn't count in regionthree.

D

Deleted-355425

Sky3ds is great for non techie gamers, you plug the micro SD card into your PC, open the sky3ds app and when its up press open and just click the games you want to add and press ok and its adds them, eject the card and put it in the sky3ds cart. Plug the cart in your 3DS and away you go.

simples, if you do go for a sky3ds make sure its the Rev2 version with the blue button, not the original red button one.

sbm888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers for everyone's responses - it seems I just need to wait a bit more since nothing out there satisfies my needs. I need to stress the card needs to be region free because I have a PAL console, but want to only play Japanese games.

I've also read up about the new DSTWO+? is that N3DS compatible?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Cheers for everyone's responses - it seems I just need to wait a bit more since nothing out there satisfies my needs. I need to stress the card needs to be region free because I have a PAL console, but want to only play Japanese games.

I've also read up about the new DSTWO+? is that N3DS compatible?
No one knows but it will probably work on the same principle as GW does. GW is pretty easy to setup and use once you get the hang of it you'll enjoy it even more and it's future proof meaning you'll be able to update the emunand if a update hits and play new games that require a system update. If I were in your place I'd wait work GW to release its update for the N3DS. I guarantee you won't regret it. Jos don't update past 9.2 and don't connect the console to the Internet.

sbm888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No one knows but it will probably work on the same principle as GW does. GW is pretty easy to setup and use once you get the hang of it you'll enjoy it even more and it's future proof meaning you'll be able to update the emunand if a update hits and play new games that require a system update. If I were in your place I'd wait work GW to release its update for the N3DS. I guarantee you won't regret it. Jos don't update past 9.2 and don't connect the console to the Internet.

cheers - hopefully the new Majora's mask N3DS coming out don't have upgraded firmware beyond 9.2.... I've ordered one too :)
but there's really no word from GW whether their 'SOON™' supports/doesn't support anything beyond 9.2 anyway....

also - I've heard saving games are a pain in the @ss? is that correct? - can't save ingame?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
cheers - hopefully the new Majora's mask N3DS coming out don't have upgraded firmware beyond 9.2.... I've ordered one too :)
but there's really no word from GW whether their 'SOON™' supports/doesn't support anything beyond 9.2 anyway....

also - I've heard saving games are a pain in the @ss? is that correct? - can't save ingame?
Yeah, GW isn't the best at communication but they do deliver and they do it big time! :D
I wouldn't know but judging by Nintendo's past releases I sincerely wouldn't be surprised if it came with 9.0. I actually use .cia files, there like roms but only in eshop format and they install directly on your SD which is neat but I've also tried a rom once and it saved perfectly fine so there's that.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

.cia is easy to save since it literally just uses the 3DS's already existing stuff to save. It's kinda like the old WAD installs for Wii hacking if you were into that scene: Install the channel, use the channel like normal, and never worry about any weird stuff (unless you update). I haven't had any luck running my dumped ROMs from the Gateway cart, although that might just be my SD cards I've been using.

2skies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we're talking about carts/sysnand/emunand, I have a quick question - does one run the R4i Gold cartridges (for DS games) in Emunand or Sysnand? Thanks!

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The 3ds gateway or not does not actually write the save until you exit the game. So a crash or power down causes loss of recent 'saves'. Trying to move saves between carts, roms, cia is a pain or impossible becuase of encryption. Keep it simple and it is not a pain.

Since we're talking about carts/sysnand/emunand, I have a quick question - does one run the R4i Gold cartridges (for DS games) in Emunand or Sysnand? Thanks!
Sysnand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu