is the rp2040 really bad?? vs instinct v6

Ferz1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The bad talk about picofly is bullshit.
If they get corrupted nand is most likely because of installer error.

And that can also happen with your Hwfly/Instinct chips

In my case I already had 5 switches for repair where hwfly chips (not Hwfly Rp2040) been installed incorrect and they leaded to corrupted nands one was unfixable.

If done over 100+ picofly installs and never had one corrupted nand from it.

If u want to install a Picofly then do it with the supported boards I would suggest the Rp2040 Tiny (Original) and not the Hwfly Rp2040 or any clones cause we don't support them cause there is no diagrams of the chip.
I have an Instinct NX v6 chip and my nand got corrupted... I have read that with og HWFly modchip, you can use Hwfly nx firmware which allows for glitching into an empty - corrupt Nand and you can restore it with hekate (if you have made a backup before)... I have made a Nand backup will the instinct or the Rp2040 glitch with corrupt Nand so you can restore it?

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picofly and rp2040 chip use the same firmware but people in the picofly thread won't support it, you don't hear people using picofly say that they got corrupted nand.

I have a few instinct chips. Would it be worth it to use pico fly instead? Does pico fly work without having to cut the metal shield?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few instinct chips. Would it be worth it to use pico fly instead? Does pico fly work without having to cut the metal shield?

It is adviced to use some kapton type to cover the modchip from touching the metal shield, I only have a HWFLY V4 and Instinct NX V6 so I can't really comment on Picofly or RP2040 OLED as I don't own one.

emuman100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a rp4020 hwfly lite and a rp2040 hwfly core on a Lite and Mariko V2 respectively, both loaded with official picofly firmware and neither corrupted my sysnand. Does this happen over time or is it because people without electronics or soldering experience mess up their installs?

Further, to these people with corrupt sysnands, why haven't they made a backup of their sysnand like they were suppose to?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Further, to these people with corrupt sysnands, why haven't they made a backup of their sysnand like they were suppose to?
Well, you need the mod to work first in order to use it to make a backup. And a messed up install could damage the NAND... so there's a chance.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you need the mod to work first in order to use it to make a backup. And a messed up install could damage the NAND... so there's a chance.
All chip modders need one of these to backup the Nand before the mod, if they ever come back in stock.
https://github.com/ignasurba/mmcblkNX?tab=readme-ov-file
Screenshot 2024-02-18 165956.png

There's also this option, which is in stock.
https://www.tronicsfixforum.com/t/switch-hard-mod-nand-dump-with-low-voltage-emmc-adapter/521
Screenshot 2024-02-18 172226.png

Screenshot 2024-02-18 172251.png
Screenshot 2024-02-18 172141.png

Last edited by BigOnYa,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like you may be able to get the first one or a version of it on aliexpress. But im also 90% certain he sells them "himself" on one of those sites like pcbway. I just don't remember the name but one of them lets you do something similar to a dropshipping etsy store where you can upload your own design and users can just buy and have them fabricated as needed(or something like that)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803432237323.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

EDIT: I was wrong actually but if anyone can teach me how to order fabricated PCBs I can get a few made up of this and some other hard to find open source projects

• Love
Reactions: BigOnYa

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
On the V1 it's easy to take the MMC module out and use the adapter.

On V2, OLED and Lite, can you use the latest one to connect cables directly to the console as you connect the Mod Chip and make a backup before modchip final installation? (even use the same cables which you will be using to install the modchip?)

Reactions: Nephiel and BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

On V2, OLED and Lite, can you use the latest one to connect cables directly to the console as you connect the Mod Chip and make a backup before modchip final installation? (even use the same cables which you will be using to install the modchip?)
That's a good question. I don't know.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
well, to install most of the modchips you need at least 7 PIN:
1708307388809.png

EMMC:
- D0
- CMD
- CLK
Power
- 3.3 V
- GND
Glitch
- RST
- SOC MOSFET

An the eMMC adapters needs:
1708307507418.png

- GND
- VCC (3.3 V)
- VCCQ (1.8V)
- CMD
- CLK
- D0

from the sites
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/EMMC_pinout
https://www.tronicsfixforum.com/t/switch-hard-mod-nand-dump-with-low-voltage-emmc-adapter/521

1708307879464.png

1708307898394.jpeg

1708307920976.png

1708307950249.jpeg

seems all the cables from the board used to connect the modchip can be used to connect the adapter plus the 1.8V which is not used by the mod chip but is very easy to find on any console.

What I don't know if the eMMC can be readed without disconnect from the console.

Will be a bless if you can connect all wires, then use the eMMC adapter to test and backup the eMMC, after that you can connect the modchip sure will work and you have backup just in case.

• Love
Reactions: BigOnYa

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I'm not sure why you want to connect wires to backup the eMMC, just get the alixpress adapter you can directly connect it to a card reader. This works very well for V1/V2 since the eMMC lives on a daughterboard.

For OLED and Lite, you will be required to lift the chip. But why even bother at that point if you're going to expose the points in order to retrieve the eMMC data.

Reactions: Nephiel

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm not sure why you want to connect wires to backup the eMMC, just get the alixpress adapter you can directly connect it to a card reader. This works very well for V1/V2 since the eMMC lives on a daughterboard.

For OLED and Lite, you will be required to lift the chip. But why even bother at that point if you're going to expose the points in order to retrieve the eMMC data.
but you need to de-solder the chip from the motherboard (on OLED and Lite) but I don't think you can connect wires to board and read the eMMC because once the SD Adapter inject 3.3V to the board the console will start... I think.

On V1 models YEAH, is so easy as remove the eMMC module from the SOC and you can read it using the adapter (stated on my first post):

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
but you need to de-solder the chip from the motherboard (on OLED and Lite) but I don't think you can connect wires to board and read the eMMC because once the SD Adapter inject 3.3V to the board the console will start... I think.

On V1 models YEAH, is so easy as remove the eMMC module from the SOC and you can read it using the adapter (stated on my first post):
For OLED, lifting the chip is not a option.

• Wow
Reactions: Nephiel and impeeza

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Emmc is the same in v1 and v2. You can detach it. Picofly you just remove the chip and solder SPI cables. Backing up is going to be way more risky because it involves more soldering. If people are bricking from a poor installation, having to solder more is just going to increase the risk right?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Emmc is the same in v1 and v2. You can detach it. Picofly you just remove the chip and solder SPI cables. Backing up is going to be way more risky because it involves more soldering. If people are bricking from a poor installation, having to solder more is just going to increase the risk right?
Yes, if you have a dedicated motherboard or a reader, it's less risky. But not always an option, for OLED there's reballing involved, which just adds more risk, thermal stress, etc.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Not an issue. Solder in the wires for the modchip install, connect to your card reader excluding both VCC/VCCQ. Then turn the Switch on. It should not be able to boot possibly getting stuck in RCM mode. At this point connect the card reader to your PC and see if it works. The Switch mainboard is powering the eMMC and the PC powers the reader but since only ground is connected no power will backfeed.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza and BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright