Apple Is the iPad/MacBook charger considered a 'Quick Charge' charger

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The iPhone 8/8+ and X both support a new fast charging method called Quick Charge. However, the charger included in the box is not a Quick Charge charger. Is the iPad/MacBook charger (the big, chunky one) considered a Quick Charge charger?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The iPhone 8/8+ and X both support a new fast charging method called Quick Charge. However, the charger included in the box is not a Quick Charge charger. Is the iPad/MacBook charger (the big, chunky one) considered a Quick Charge charger?
The newest MacBook uses USB-PD I believe, which is a form of quick charging but it might be different from what the iPhone supports.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Quick Charge is the name for Qualcomm's quick-charging solution. It's usually denoted by an orange USB port, and/or a Q with a lightning bolt. It's not limited to Android devices, but it's typically found on them. Apple devices do not support Qualcomm's Quick Charge.

Apple devices do have fast-charging options, however. Apple's USB-C chargers (their MacBook chargers) use a fast-charging standard known as USB-PD. You can use Apple's, or any other manufacturer's USB-PD charger, but you need Apple's USB-C to Lightning cable (1 meter, 2 meters) to get USB-PD charging speeds.

The 10-watt and 12-watt iPad chargers were designed before the USB-PD standard so I doubt they are USB-PD compliant. However, the iPad chargers are still faster than the iPhone's included 5 watt charger.

tl;dr: Charging solutions are confusing. The iPhone 8/8 Plus/X can use any of Apple's chargers, or anything that is compliant with USB-PD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(