Hacking Is that safe to update to 11.6 while I'm still using themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5

Cat Scarlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
Is that safe to update to 11.6 while I'm still using themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5
My O3ds is in themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5, and the system version in emunand is 11.5.

I already know that it's safe with B9s and the newest Luma.

I don't want to upgrade to B9s because I'm lazy and themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5 can still satisfy my usage.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that safe to update to 11.6 while I'm still using themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5
My O3ds is in themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5, and the system version in emunand is 11.5.

I don't want to upgrade to B9s because I'm lazy and themehax+emunand+Luma_v7.0.5 can still satisfy my usage.
You can update your emuNAND of course, just not your sysNAND. Your Luma provides firm protection so as long as you don't update your sysNAND, your themehax won't be patched.

Cat Scarlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
You can update your emuNAND of course, just not your sysNAND. Your Luma provides firm protection so as long as you don't update your sysNAND, your themehax won't be patched.
OK, thank you.

My sysNAND is always 9.2 with hax.
I use Cakes3DS ago, and after an update, Cakes3DS won't work, then I changed to use Luma3DS instead. I'm afraid of having the same problem today.

Deleted member 371699

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pretty much the same setup (Menuhax, Emunand, Luma) here.

11.6 works fine on the emunand. I should get around to switching to B9S, but like you, my current setup does all I need it to do.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, thank you.

I use Cakes3DS ago, and after an update, Cakes3DS won't work, then I changed to use Luma3DS instead. I'm afraid of having the same problem today.
Nah Luma and Corbenik (for the most part) are mostly updated ASAP when new firms come out, or are already configured to work with newer firms assuming tons of changes aren't made to internal file structures or something. Those two should always work, now and in the future as long as they remain "live".

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
OK, thank you.

Make a backup of your emuNAND though. Not sure if older Luma payloads support newer system versions.

Why not upgrade to B9S though?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Cat Scarlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah Luma and Corbenik (for the most part) are mostly updated ASAP when new firms come out, or are already configured to work with newer firms assuming tons of changes aren't made to internal file structures or something. Those two should always work, now and in the future as long as they remain "live".

I'm not sure. After B9s came out, Luma3DS released version 7.1, they said `all older entrypoints, including ARM9LoaderHax and menuhax, are no longer supported`, so if there will be something wrong, only new version will be supported. Old version like 7.0.5 without B9s may be history.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. After B9s came out, Luma3DS released version 7.1, they said `all older entrypoints, including ARM9LoaderHax and menuhax, are no longer supported`, so if there will be something wrong, only new version will be supported. Old version like 7.0.5 without B9s may be history.
Well you're right about that, but the way Luma works it's almost guaranteed to continue working unless the aforementioned conditions are met. Nintendo is not likely to overhaul their entire internal file structure.

If that does ever happen, which again isn't likely then it really won't kill you to update to B9S; it takes less than 10 minutes.

Cat Scarlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
Make a backup of your emuNAND though. Not sure if older Luma payloads support newer system versions.

Why not upgrade to B9S though?
Because I'm too lazy.
I have one and only one o3DS. I bought it in the late 2011. It was broken times and I fixed it by myself. I don't want to do anything dangerous to it any more. Just play it easy for the rest of its life.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I'm too lazy.
I have one and only one o3DS. I bought it in the late 2011. It was broken times and I fixed it by myself. I don't want to do anything dangerous to it any more. Just play it easy for the rest of its life.
Well you really won't have a choice if ALL CFW drops support for old firmware right? No one is THAT lazy. B9S isn't like A9LH, you don't have to take any risky steps, you don't have to downgrade and the program double checks your files to make sure they will work BEFORE it even lets you install it, and that's after you input a button combination. The installs happens in literal seconds, then you just download the new Luma and never have to worry about it again.

Like I said, Luma should continue working so it doesn't matter. If v7.0.5 DOES however stop working on a newer update, you're going to have no choice unless you just uninstall it altogether if you want a working system. Your choice.

Cat Scarlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
Well you really won't have a choice if ALL CFW drops support for old firmware right? No one is THAT lazy. B9S isn't like A9LH, you don't have to take any risky steps, you don't have to downgrade and the program double checks your files to make sure they will work BEFORE it even lets you install it, and that's after you input a button combination. The installs happens in literal seconds, then you just download the new Luma and never have to worry about it again.

Like I said, Luma should continue working so it doesn't matter. If v7.0.5 DOES however stop working on a newer update, you're going to have no choice unless you just uninstall it altogether if you want a working system. Your choice.

You are right.
Actually the thing makes me not to use A9 or B9s is emuNAND. emuNAND is a good idea, I can do anything on it and still have a normal system in sysNAND. It makes me relieved. Both A9 and B9s would write something into sysNAND and if something wrong happened, it would make my o3ds be brick.

Just now I read the ntrboot article. There is a way to unbrick any 3DS model nowaday, but I only have a Supercard DSTWO, seems not support ntrboot.
But just as I replied to pustal, I have one and only one o3DS. I bought it in the late 2011. It was broken times and I fixed it by myself. I don't want to do anything dangerous to it any more. Just play it easy for the rest of its life.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right.
Actually the thing makes me not to use A9 or B9s is emuNAND. emuNAND is a good idea, I can do anything on it and still have a normal system in sysNAND. It makes me relieved. Both A9 and B9s would write something into sysNAND and if something wrong happened, it would make my o3ds be brick.

Just now I read the ntrboot article. There is a way to unbrick any 3DS model nowaday, but I only have a Supercard DSTWO, seems not support ntrboot.
But just as I replied to pustal, I have one and only one o3DS. I bought it in the late 2011. It was broken times and I fixed it by myself. I don't want to do anything dangerous to it any more. Just play it easy for the rest of its life.
Nah, you misunderstand. A9LH/B9S doesn't write to your sysNAND it writes to part of your console that boots before your NAND even boots. The cnahes of bricking are less than 1% and that's not an exaggeration; it's a fact. When using B9S, your system functions completely normally without the need to boot into another partition. Additionally, you can't brick after it's already been installed with normal system use. You would have to brick it on purpose.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if there is a single confirmed brick caused by installing B9S (using SafeB9SInstaller as the guide instructs). It's as safe as you can get.

If it helps, you don't even have to stop using an EmuNAND, you can keep SysNAND as it is and have Luma boot you to EmuNAND by default. Moving to SysNAND isn't dangerous, but if that's something you don't want to do, you don't have to.

But yes, for now, Luma 7.0.5 works fine with 11.6.

Last edited by Cuphat,
Reactions: emuashui

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not sure if there is a single confirmed brick caused by installing B9S (using SafeB9SInstaller as the guide instructs). It's as safe as you can get.

If it helps, you don't even have to stop using an EmuNAND, you can keep SysNAND as it is and have Luma boot you to EmuNAND by default. Moving to SysNAND isn't dangerous, but if that's something you don't want to do, you don't have to.

But yes, for now, Luma 7.0.5 works fine with 11.6.
There are zero confirmed bricks caused by any method used to install B9S or B9S itself, outside of human error.
Honestly we as a community should encourage everyone to update to B9S. Everything either has or will be dropping support for pre-B9S entrypoints.
@OP There is nothing to lose by updating and it’s completely safe to do so. It’s also extremely easy to update and completely worth it. Just get familiar with The Guide, it even tell you how to flash your emuNAND to your sysNAND.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Cat Scarlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.catscarlet.com
XP
Country
United States
Nah, you misunderstand. A9LH/B9S doesn't write to your sysNAND it writes to part of your console that boots before your NAND even boots. The cnahes of bricking are less than 1% and that's not an exaggeration; it's a fact. When using B9S, your system functions completely normally without the need to boot into another partition. Additionally, you can't brick after it's already been installed with normal system use. You would have to brick it on purpose.
I know it. The thing is, I have to install things in sysNAND by using A9LH/B9S. I still want a clean sysNAND.

Disharmony16

~DooM-BringeR~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that your question was answered and you should Say thanks and bye, if you don't want to upgrade stop replying.
Just my opinion if you don't like it you can continue getting more "update to b9s" replys.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
I know it. The thing is, I have to install things in sysNAND by using A9LH/B9S. I still want a clean sysNAND.

just to be clear. except for b9s which is essentially written to what you can call be bootloader of your console, your actual sysnand partitions will be left 100% intact.

you can boot your 3DS straight to Emunand if you want. never touching your sysnand again leaving it forever a virgin lol

Disharmony16

~DooM-BringeR~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to be clear. except for b9s which is essentially written to what you can call be bootloader of your console, your actual sysnand partitions will be left 100% intact.

you can boot your 3DS straight to Emunand if you want. never touching your sysnand again leaving it forever a virgin lol
Not virgin at all because it Will need a .firm to boot on ctrnand forever if he want to boot it without sdcard.
But how all say's you must upgrade to b9s, but if you don't want you don't have to worry about it.

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

OP may i ask, is your nnid currently in emunand (11.6 already?) , or in sysnand (9.2?), or still linked to both nands?
i wonder any changes/update in your emunand may also modify things in sysnand?
And how do you backup the nands, both or only emunand?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
if you took the time to make this thread and also participate in this thread, and rather put it towards doing the b9s guide, you would be done by now

if you're really lazy, you can use ocs as it does everything for you

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...