Is N64 Music Emulation Possible on 3DS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PandaPandel
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 1,205
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Likes Likes 1

PandaPandel

The 3DS Theme Girl!
Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2024
Messages
276
Reaction score
245
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
WA
XP
661
Country
United States
What is everyone's thoughts on emulation of Nintendo Music native on the 3DS?

I have been thinking about this for quite some time.
Alot of formats are covered in several useful CIA/Homebrew apps I use to this day: BlargSPC, 3DSVgmStream and, BCSTM Player 3DS.

There is one problem that no one is yet to solve: how should we go about playing dumped Nintendo 64 music on 3DS?

On Zophars Domain you can find here archived thousands of Nintendo 64 .USF and .MiniUSF.

These are the raw audio formats used on the Nintendo 64. It would take Days, months, and possibly years to archive all this music into first BRSTM format, then down into BCSTM format to be played on one of the pre existing players we have.

Barring what would feel like a could be a century of work for an audio engineer like myself, I feel the simplest solution would be to somehow find a way to play them on the 3DS, maybe with a fork of DaedalusX64.

BlargSPC was made from BlargSNES, a pre existing emulator for Super Nintendo. I found a way to compile the source into a working CIA with no banner.
I am realizing with no audio loving people in 3DS homebrew, it never advances.

If anyone would like the working CIA of BlargSPC I have compiled to play .SPC files let me know, as I think the original creator does not post anymore.

I personally use these CIA everyday, and play music through my headphones into a soundcard.

-Happy Homebrew!

Edit: Barring Mp3s and Flacs, Dumps are just fun, abundant already and kinda a vibe for archival purposes.
 
Last edited by PandaPandel,
  • Like
Reactions: balemoc
"Everything is theoretically impossible until it is done." -Robert A. Heinlein

But I think most people would suggest you just use MP3s (or FLACs).
Ah yes.

I think that would be the most sane thing to make flacs, but something about looping media does it for me.

spc, and BCTSM are lovely because they loop forever and its kinda just a vibe playing the dumps
 
:o Thanks for sharing an SPC player for 3DS. I felt so bad the other day for downloading a 300+MB archive from Zophar (MP3 was an option) when the rom with all that music and more was literally under 1% that size. But all I have is a Vita (and 2DS LL), no PC, so SPC wasn't an option yet. I'd love more digital players like N64 on 3DS (and Vita).
 
  • Like
Reactions: PandaPandel
:o Thanks for sharing an SPC player for 3DS. I felt so bad the other day for downloading a 300+MB archive from Zophar (MP3 was an option) when the rom with all that music and more was literally under 1% that size. But all I have is a Vita (and 2DS LL), no PC, so SPC wasn't an option yet. I'd love more digital players like N64 on 3DS (and Vita).
Stay tuned im working on something big right now just for people like you and me!
 

Site & Scene News