Hardware Is my non-xl New 3DS dead?

juan_3579

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese non-xl New 3DS and I tried to hard mod it. I was able to complete the hardmod and I backed up my NAND three times to confirm that it was working. I didn't like the mod I had done (it was my first time doing it on my own and it didn't look so good either), so I removed the solder and wires, but now my 3ds only boots when I plug it in to charge (it won't even light up if I press the power button). And when it does boot (when its plugged in), the Super Stable 3d is turned on and messed up, even if the slider is all the way down. On top of that, my 3ds will shut off randomly or if I press any of the buttons on the 3ds. I think I might have damaged the board or maybe removed some of the contacts near the nand, or maybe the nand is damaged or something, but it still boots to the home menu so maybe it's something else.

So, my question to everyone is, is my 3ds completely dead or can I fix it by replacing something? I remember a thread a while back mentioning something about the daughterboard but I can't confirm if that's whats wrong. I don't have a camera or my 3ds with me at the moment but I would like some insight in case someone has had this happen before. If I recall, none of the ribbons are damaged but maybe they aren't making contact (which would explain the 3d being messed up?).

If anyone has any insight please let me know. I will try to add some pictures later when I get the chance. I don't mind fixing it by purchasing a part or so, but I can always buy another one and have someone hard mod it for me next time.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Check the battery mate. You maybe assembled it wrong or something. Looks like the motherboard is fine, but powerless. Also check the data cables and every button pad is correctly placed.

Did you rush the assembly?

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

juan_3579

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did rush the assembly initially, which is how I noticed it in the first place, but I also reassembled it three times to make sure I didn't forget anything. I'll probably try booting it up without the battery since I don't have a spare, but I think the problem will still persist. I will open it up again later today and check to see if I probably missed something.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I did rush the assembly initially, which is how I noticed it in the first place, but I also reassembled it three times to make sure I didn't forget anything. I'll probably try booting it up without the battery since I don't have a spare, but I think the problem will still persist. I will open it up again later today and check to see if I probably missed something.

Yeah, the rushes can be fatal. I blame the controller issues to a bad connection of the data cables in the motherboard. Make sure every data cable is perfectly connected to each wide data connector. Also try to notice if the shutdown on press occurs in every button or just a few to locate the "faulty" buttons.

I blame the power up issues on the battery connection. Looks like the battery is fine but not connected, or directly fried. If you can check the battery with a multimeter (just to check the voltage output) that would be great.

The thing is you are able under certain conditions to boot the system. This means the nand is somehow in good shape enough to boot. So the issue must be someplace else.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

juan_3579

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reassembled it last night, but prior to reassembling it, it would not boot when plugged in. So it doesn't boot anymore, the power light stays on for a bit and then shuts off, none of the screens light up. I think it's dead now, I've spent hours double checking cables, so I don't know what's wrong with it anymore.

slslasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Check the zip connectors. My New 3DS kept shutting down because the connectors are loose. Its those without the clip, its black in colour n u just have to push ur ribbon cables in. Try to apply some pressure on those connectors to make sure they are secure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs