Hacking Is my drive corrupt?

WiiFan2012

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried FAT32, NTFS, and WBFS on one of the partitions of my Seagate FreeAgent GO 320GB external hard drive. Every time I plug it in and load up USB Loader, I get this annoying message:
Sorry for the BIG photo, took it from my iPhone

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/W...pg?t=1274580213

So, I assume this means my drive could be corrupt. Looks like I'll be buying another one...

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
try this

in the pc, format the drive to wbfs, then unplug from pc and plug to wii without turning disc off,
turn on the wii and test,
tell me if it does the same

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you turn off the sleep mode using the Freeagent utility?

Can you delete all the partitions, format it NTFS and copy files to it on your PC? If so, the drive is probably fine.

When you created the partitions, did you make sure to make them ALL Primary? What OS are you using? XP is very explicit, but I think Vista and Windows 7 are a little trickier.

WiiFan2012

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep I turned of the sleep mode the first day I got it, which it worked perfectly. Now it doesn't.

Yep, I can format and use the partitions I create.

I did not, but the disc utility did, and I am running Windows 7.

The funny thing is, my Flash drive works perfectly.

Any ideas?

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try rebuilding the partition table/MBR from scratch. PartitionMagic had a CLI option for this; there are other methods, but i haven't had to do this in a while so I don't recall. Basically, if this is the case, the partition table is close enough that the PC can read it ok, but the Wii spazzes.

Also, you're not doing a dynamic disk or any EFI crap, are you??

WiiFan2012

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea if I am doing a dynamic disc or EFI....

Edit: Went into Disc Utility and found a EFI System Partition.

WiiFan2012

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't use that. Tried to burn the ISO to a DVD and no .exe was found in the DVD. Downloaded the .exe and could not install it..... The drive selection combo box wouldn't list ANY of my drives. Trying the KillDisc app. THAT won't detect my drive.... I'm getting to the point of buying another one.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
sounds like the USB part is fubar.

Pop up the freedrive and out the harddrive and see if Windows work fine with it.
If so, just get a external cabinette and put the HDD in it. Tada, new external drive.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
linuxares said:
sounds like the USB part is fubar.

No, or else he wouldn't have been able to format it in the first place, silly
biggrin.gif

Go download this: http://www.partition-manager.com/ plug in the drive, start the app and post a screenshot.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yup, that's your problem: you have it partitioned as a GPT disk. Most computers and devices still don't support these. When you hook them up to an unsupported device, you just see one huge unusable partition (on the original implementation). I forget how to do this in Partition Manager, but in the Windows Disk Manager (the thing built-in to Windows; right-click on My Computer and hit Manage). Lifted from the help file:

QUOTE said:
To change a GUID partition table disk into a master boot record disk using the Windows interface

Back up or move all volumes on the basic GUID partition table (GPT) disk you want to convert into a master boot record (MBR) disk.

If the disk contains any partitions or volumes, right-click any volumes on the disk and then click Delete Volume.

Right-click the GPT disk that you want to change into an MBR disk, and then click Convert to MBR disk.

Once it's a MBR disk, partition it and you are done! Depending on what you are trying to do with it, you may want to do FAT32, NTFS or 2 partitions, FAT32 (marked as active, this will hold your homebrew, UNEEK etc) -then- NTFS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2