Is medical alcohol good for cleaning electronics and motherboards???

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most definitely, although like AlanJohn said, go for something 97% or above, and make sure it dries quickly. I've cleaned many, many pieces of electronics with isopropyl alcohol (particularly console MOBOs, and controllers) without any adverse effects.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Working in a campsite, universal tv remotes get greasy over the season, and they end not working, been using alcohol to cleanse them internally for like, 10 years, and they still work like the first day.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Generally speaking chemical purity ratings are:

Cheap shit < Technical < Laboratory < Food & Pharma < Reagent

Even technical (which on absolute scale isn't as bad as it looks) is probably enough for this application, open any TV or PC owned by a common person and see how much crap is inside :D

Danook28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
I wll add photo i think i chose the wrong alcohol... And only clean small controller motherboard... I well try some thing big if i know im safe to use this alcohol...

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It depends on the concentration, because if is less of 97% it will have so much water on it. The advantage of isopropyl alcohol is what leaves almost none residues and dry very fast. The ethylic alcohol takes a little bit longer to dry, if you wait enough for the alcohol dryes before put current on the electronic will be no issue at all. I did some time have to restore a computer main board using a pool (the Cl on it help to remove debriss inside the sockets). Obviously later I did have to clean using alcohol and a hair dryer to ensure no water on it before use.

My grandpa used paint thinner on his electronic repair shop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol