Hacking Hardware Is 70% of IPA available for PCB flux and thermal cleaning?

DawnWorkout

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hello Friends
Multiple Hwfly installation videos use Ipa99% for pcb cleaning.
But it's hard to get it in my city.
70% of IPA (for disinfection) is available.
Can this also be used for thermal paste and flux cleaning? I have an alcohol swap (cotton) and it's an ipa 70% configuration but it's well-thermal cleaned. But cotton soon dries up, so it's hard to use. If I buy it as a liquid, I think I can easily use it as a brush.
I couldn't see a 70% IPA user anywhere. Is this impossible?
(Actually, 70% of IPA is slightly concerned about the occurrence of corrosion due to the mixing of water.)
I wonder if there is a better alternative to this question. Thank you.

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello Friends
Can this also be used for thermal paste and flux cleaning? I have an alcohol swap (cotton) and it's an ipa 70% configuration but it's well-thermal cleaned. But cotton soon dries up, so it's hard to use. If I buy it as a liquid, I think I can easily use it as a brush.
(Actually, 70% of IPA is slightly concerned about the occurrence of corrosion due to the mixing of water.)

The higher IPA the less water content
The 99% is used because it have almost no water on it so it evaporate completely and leave no traces, the 70% leave traces of water which you may know are bad for electronics.

If you must use then you should remove the water using compressed air.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
70% works but as said above you must make sure the water dries and it doesn't get under chips or hard to reach places. You will not get the water out easily once it got under chips.

Reactions: impeeza

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was stunned to find recently that people are using ultrasonic cleaners with distilled water for cleaning PCBs. It makes sense if you have a very good method for guaranteeing a completely dry motherboard afterwards, but yikes.

I've used whatever the cheap isopropyl is around here for repasting. It takes some scrubbing, but as long as you can get a good polish you're fine in that particular case. I wouldn't let it get anywhere you can't guarantee you can get it out of though

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was stunned to find recently that people are using ultrasonic cleaners with distilled water for cleaning PCBs. It makes sense if you have a very good method for guaranteeing a completely dry motherboard afterwards, but yikes.

I've used whatever the cheap isopropyl is around here for repasting. It takes some scrubbing, but as long as you can get a good polish you're fine in that particular case. I wouldn't let it get anywhere you can't guarantee you can get it out of though
Distilled water isn't dangerous to electronics, it's non conductive. It won't stay non conductive though, any crap that is on the board that gets dissolved can make it conductive (but all that should be washed off in the ultrasonic cleaner), but it won't easily corrode components unless it sits around and gets dirty.
I wouldn't power the board until it's completely dry, but blowing a fan on it will make short work of it.

I have even seen people rinse boards under the tap. It's actually not the worst idea if you don't have anything better, but you do need to dry it off quickly in that case since tap water is conductive and it will corrode components.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
That's actually common in electronics repair because the flux makes a huge mess and can also corrode pads and traces over time. The difference is they make extra sure it's completely dry and they use distilled water with special cleaning solutions. There are cases where this will not work like boards with switches. Water will get in there and it's very hard to dry tightly closed components like these.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
70% IPA is not suitable...
I'll look for another alternative
Thank you very much, everyone
There are electronic cleaners on can, they are basically 99% ipa on a pressure can, normally overpriced but if not alternative...

Sometime I see some guy cleaning a main-board on a pool :wtf:

My grandpa used paint thinner to clean PCBs but after that he always remove any leftover with compressed air.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
Hello Friends

70% alcohol will work just fine. I've cleaned many components with it.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello Friends
Yeah and even 50% works just make sure to dry before powering on. I use acetone since its slightly cheaper, dries super quick and works better :)

• Love

DawnWorkout

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
70% alcohol will work just fine. I've cleaned many components with it.
Good news! Hasn't there been any corrosion issues?
Post automatically merged:

Yeah and even 50% works just make sure to dry before powering on. I use acetone since its slightly cheaper, dries super quick and works better :)
Acetone? Is that possible?
I can get it easily
Are there any corrosion and any disadvantages?
Why didn't I see it on the website?
Thank you!

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Good news! Hasn't there been any corrosion issues?
Post automatically merged:

Acetone? Is that possible?
I can get it easily
Are there any corrosion and any disadvantages?
Why didn't I see it on the website?
Thank you!
No corrosion. Acetone works best just stay away from plastic.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Acetone is not recommended. It will not do any harm to your board but it can dissolve plastic. Keep it far away from wires and plastic components.
I use acetone in an ultra sonic cleaner to clean switch motherbaords - Works about 5 times better than IPA 99%, dries quicker and no harm to plastic components. Not recommended to use as cleaner for backplate, front plate etc as it will stain those. Works amazing for liquid damage motherboards.

Keep in mind that not all acetone are the same and do a quick test first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo