1. DevannB

OP DevannB Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey everyone,

I kinda hate the 3DS's camera app. Even after I upgraded to a 3ds in 2011 I kept my DSi around just to fiddle with its camera app. Is it possible to install the DSi camera app onto the 3DS? Surely it's just a simple DSiWare title that's preinstalled standard in the system files, right?

2. TurdPooCharger

United States
    1. Download the Nintendo DSi Camera (USA) (Rev 4).nds (4.26 MB - CRC32: 1F25A3F1).
    2. Convert this into the DSiWare CIA using one of these options:
    3. Download HxD hex editor. Search and change these values at these two (2) locations:
      • 00 04 80 05 48 4E 49 4500 04 80 04 48 4E 49 45
      • Instance #1 block offset: 0x2C1C-2C23
      • Instance #2 block offset: 0x2F4C-2F53
      • If you do not change the 0504, this app will not appear on HOME Menu.
    4. Install the edited CIA with FBI. Enjoy.

3. DevannB

OP DevannB Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thank you so much for the response. I'm having an extremely hard time (spent over 2 hours) finding [working] downloads for any DSi system menu software. Is it possible to dump my own in any way? I have a DSi and a DSi XL, neither of them are modded but I have an old flash cart for it.

Last edited by DevannB, Sep 2, 2019
  4. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    This can be done – I did it right after Memory Pit was released because I was curios if this worked as well.

What you need is a NAND image of one of your DSi consoles. Refer to https://dsi.cfw.guide/ – if you do NOT want to install CFW on the DSi you can stop right after creating the NAND image – no changes on the DSi software will be done.
    1. Setup ninfs and mount the NAND image on your computer
    2. Get the camera title id from https://dsibrew.org/wiki/Title_list and navigate to the folder on the NAND dump
      • For US DSi this should be NAND:/title/00030005/484e4945
    3. Copy the .app file inside content and rename it to whatever.nds
    4. Convert to .CIA like explained above. If you do not hex-edit the file, the camera app can still be started from FBI.

5. DevannB

OP DevannB Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Edit: Never mind, I did 10 more seconds of research and found I needed to mount twl_main.img with OSFMount.

Edit2: After freeing up some space on my system memory it installed and works perfectly. Thank you guys so much for your help. This is so awesome.

Last edited by DevannB, Sep 3, 2019
  6. igdegoo

igdegoo Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    where is twl_main.img

7. Androidian

Androidian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Is there any place on the internet that has these for download? I spent hours looking for it and never found it. I personally don't have a DSi anymore (due to the touchscreen not working), but would really like to use the software again.

8. TurdPooCharger

United States
    Can't directly say where due to forum rules against piracy and warez. Search by the *.nds rom by name and hash.

9. HIDE810

HIDE810 Member
    Newcomer

Japan
    Thank you for your good post.
    How does this work? (about 05 → 04)
    I'm interested in how it works.

10. TurdPooCharger

United States
    The Nintendo DSi Camera is a TWL system title with an internal TitleID of 00030005484E4945.

When the *.nds gets converted into *.cia, it doesn't gets dumped with the typical DSiWare game's high TID of (0004804), or for those installed on in the TWLN (00030004).

These two (2) edits are done to the CIA's ticket and *.tmd, so that FBI installs it as that. Only DSiWare titles with that specific high TID are shown on HOME Menu. Everything else would require FBI to launch through its Titles list.

DSiWare titles are flexible when to comes to swapping their *.nds/*.app around. Why this is? Ask Nintendo.

Nintendo DSi Camera - TitleID edit.png

11. daemonspudguy

daemonspudguy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It might be on that iso site...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

12. dude1709

dude1709 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    [EUR] versions ready to install cia's are on that iso site. [US] I don't know.

Last edited by dude1709, Sep 16, 2019
  13. zarat

zarat Newbie
    Newcomer

Belgium
    If you transfer a game from your DSi to your 3DS, you will lose all progress in that game. The game will be as if it were new. Keep this in mind.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited by zarat, Sep 20, 2019
  14. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    Huh? How is the camera app a game?

The loss of progress is true for the official way of transferring paid DSiWare from a DSi to a 2|3DS. For whatever reason Nintendo did not implement a transfer for the saves (pretty dumb – DSiWare saves are moved like any other data when using System Transfer between two 2|3DS systems).

When extracting a game .app file from a NAND image, it is also possible to extract the save data with it and move it with GodMode9 to the appropriate location on [2:] SYSNAND TWLN.

TurdPooCharger and alexander1970 like this.
  15. Androidian

Androidian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Two things:
    1. I got the DSi Camera app installed! Thanks TurdPooCharger!

2. Just for sh!ts and giggles, I tried the memory pit exploit, and surprisingly, it worked! Does anyone think I can install Unlaunch or HiyaCFW? XD

16. kai98yoshi

kai98yoshi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    How can I use this method for other DSiWare games? Where do I get the number?

17. TurdPooCharger

United States
    This method is only used for DSi system titles that don't naturally have title IDs 00048004#######.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (N)3DS(XL), possible, install