Hacking Is it possible to cancel the flashcard autoboot? ds lite

heretic97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
hello, I want to know if you can cancel the autoboot of the flashcards when turning on the dslite, when I put original cartridges first it enters the menu, as I have it configured in the options, while the r4 skips that protocol and starts

my flashcard is the R4 from the www.r4igold.cc (the first model, with the 1st sticker)

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The autoboot function is built into the flashcart, so no you can't really cancel it. All you can do is eject the flashcart before you start the DSL.

The flashcart with the autoboot feature is a flashcart prior the introduction of the DSi. That is because of the way the DSi checks the flashcart and blacklists it if it is something it can identify. Flashcarts that are compatible to the DSi and higher basically don't use the autoboot feature anymore.

Reactions: Seriel

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way to have it not autoboot would be to get a newer card. Cards back then were just built like that, as nobody realised you could just take parts of a game & use them to pretend to be that game until the DSi forced them to do that.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kind of actually. Carts without headers will autoboot directly into the cart, carts with headers can boot normally like a game.
Now there actually is a homebrew firmwares that actually can disable this auto-boot funtion, but sometimes have issues with DSi carts like the Ak2i
FWNitro
HBfirmware
These Firmwares can actually stop the auto-boot function, but do run the risk of not being compatible with your cart. This means you either need compatible cart to re-run the Flashme installer or switch out the bios chip.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kind of actually. Carts without headers will autoboot directly into the cart, carts with headers can boot normally like a game.
That's not true. All cards have a header. There is a flag in the header to enable autoboot.

01Fh 1 Autostart (Bit2: Skip "Press Button" after Health and Safety)
(Also skips bootmenu, even in Manual mode & even Start pressed)

Source: http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeheader

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's not true. All cards have a header. There is a flag in the header to enable autoboot.

01Fh 1 Autostart (Bit2: Skip "Press Button" after Health and Safety)
(Also skips bootmenu, even in Manual mode & even Start pressed)

Source: http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeheader
It used to be said that they lacked headers and that was the common explanation back in the day. It appears that explanation was incorrect, thank you for correcting me.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It used to be said that they lacked headers and that was the common explanation back in the day. It appears that explanation was incorrect, thank you for correcting me.
Well, it's an unsigned header and one not in the whitelist, so probably a DSi would have nothing really to show (and if you actually try to preview flashcard roms in... flashcards or "nds top system", you will be surprised at how many things you can get wrong and still pass on a DS/lite with the autoboot flag)

(I tried once, with obvious results, to unbrick a r4isdhc by converting the updater to DSiWare... the resulting cia required 3 GB of twlnand)

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I'm interested in doing the opposite: making my R4i-SDHC card become able to force autoboot. The card is re-flashable and I am able to dump the ROM with GodMode9. Would I be safe to just dump the card's internal ROM, modify said address, flash it back and it will work, or do I have to go through any encryption/decryption scheme? The immediately dumped ROM does not even remotely resemble the Bomberman it claims to emulate. What steps should I follow?

Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm interested in doing the opposite: making my R4i-SDHC card become able to force autoboot. The card is re-flashable and I am able to dump the ROM with GodMode9. Would I be safe to just dump the card's internal ROM, modify said address, flash it back and it will work, or do I have to go through any encryption/decryption scheme? The immediately dumped ROM does not even remotely resemble the Bomberman it claims to emulate. What steps should I follow?
On a DS/ Lite/Phat, you can actually just change the system settings to auto-boot into the cart. You don't even have to modify the cart to make the system auto-boot into it.
DSi and onward removed auto-boot function and it would have to be added externally.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
On a DS/ Lite/Phat, you can actually just change the system settings to auto-boot into the cart. You don't even have to modify the cart to make the system auto-boot into it.
DSi and onward removed auto-boot function and it would have to be added externally.

My setup is: R4i RTS card top, EZflash 3in1 bottom.

If I leave settings to manual, I have to boot the R4 flashcart manually everytime I power on. I don't wanna have to do the extra presses on every boot.

If I put settings to auto, it will boot the R4. But here's the gist: I wanna always boot the R4 and only go into settings when I need to manually by starting the standalone firmware app. If I leave this set to auto, I have to remove both cards before booting, but that's a hassle. And the firmware app autoboots GBA.

With an autoboot flag set on the R4, I can always boot into the R4 and then manually run the firmware app everytime I go into settings, eliminating the need to ever have to remove either card. This was my old setup on the Supercard DSONE, because it autoboots. I'd like to do the same to the R4.

Last edited by Searinox,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My setup is: R4i RTS card top, EZflash 3in1 bottom.

If I leave settings to manual, I have to boot the R4 flashcart manually everytime I power on. I don't wanna have to do the extra presses on every boot.

If I put settings to auto, it will boot the R4. But here's the gist: I wanna always boot the R4 and only go into settings when I need to manually by starting the standalone firmware app. If I leave this set to auto, I have to remove both cards before booting, but that's a hassle. And the firmware app autoboots GBA.

With an autoboot flag set on the R4, I can always boot into the R4 and then manually run the firmware app everytime I go into settings, eliminating the need to ever have to remove either card. This was my old setup on the Supercard DSONE, because it autoboots. I'd like to do the same to the R4.
Ok, so if I am understanding what your situation, you want the cart itself to have the auto-boot flag like the old R4 and M3 carts had. Basically the cart superseding the system settings and auto-booting regardless if the system is set up to do that or not. If I am understanding this right, then in theory this process could be possibly done with any headers by simply changing the header to use to the auto-boot option. But as far as I know there's no tool nor method to do this and flashcart headers aren't really open source. So in theory we just need a method to set the header to auto-boot, which is something I don't know how to do.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
There is software out for flashing some of these cards including my R4 clone with ntrboothax and then flashing back the original firmware to make them work again correct? But I never used it. Would I be able to use those to put a modified firmware back on? The main problem I have with confidence is that I dumped my card which carries a 32MB dummy ROM of a Bomberman game to bypass DSi and 3DS security. But it looked nothing like it does when the card is in(the icon and title/description are corrupt), suppose I did try something, would I be able to flash the original firmware back if I brick it? In fact, does this ROM dump method even dump the whole thing or is the header you mention in a separate place?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.