Gaming Is it actually a good idea to trim ROMs?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dark^'^Knight said:
ZeWarrior said:
And the new Warioware, it trims it from 128MB to just 16.5!
Just checked and this is accurate. Now, would anyone care to explain why this is so?
I thought trimming removed the empty packed space of a rom, for eg. if the game data was over 65,536 KB, then it would need to to go to next size rom of 131,072 KB. Therefore, any trimming would only reduce it to something over 65,536 KB. But this game's rom has been packed with approx 115,000 KB of empty space....correct?
if i understand correctly, DIY doesn't use a standard model gamecard.
instead it uses one with extended save-storage(32Mb i think?)
they wouldn't want to waste time developing several types of 32Mb-save gamecards because very few games would ever need that much save-space, so they made a "one-size-fits-all" gamecard that could pretty much house any game that needs 32Mb save space.

stuffnflufff

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just trimmed 728MB using TinyTrimmer. 5 seconds for 61 games
biggrin.gif

s3k7i0n8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
ZeWarrior said:
Just checked and this is accurate. Now, would anyone care to explain why this is so?
I thought trimming removed the empty packed space of a rom, for eg. if the game data was over 65,536 KB, then it would need to to go to next size rom of 131,072 KB. Therefore, any trimming would only reduce it to something over 65,536 KB. But this game's rom has been packed with approx 115,000 KB of empty space....correct?
It has to do with the way the ROMs are dumped you can only dump a ROM at a set size now there is much biggger games and they are being saved as 128mb files so it the rom was dumped as a 128mb file even though it only is about 16 mb

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
s3k7i0n8 said:
Dark^'^Knight said:
ZeWarrior said:
It has to do with the way the ROMs are dumped you can only dump a ROM at a set size now there is much biggger games and they are being saved as 128mb files so it the rom was dumped as a 128mb file even though it only is about 16 mb
No, when that happens it's known as an "overdump" and is considered a bad rom and a redump has to be done.

With warioware DIY, it really is 128 megs of mostly empty data, which is why people are so curious.

Exbaddude

The Prince.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
s3k7i0n8 said:
Dark^'^Knight said:
ZeWarrior said:
No, when that happens it's known as an "overdump" and is considered a bad rom and a redump has to be done.

With warioware DIY, it really is 128 megs of mostly empty data, which is why people are so curious.
Your Correct. It seem like the dumpers round the ROMs to 8MB, 16MB, 32MB 64MB Etc.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Exbaddude said:
Rydian said:
s3k7i0n8 said:
Dark^'^Knight said:
ZeWarrior said:

Your Correct. It seem like the dumpers round the ROMs to 8MB, 16MB, 32MB 64MB Etc.

Not the dumpers, the manufacturers. Carts are a set size. Look at it this way, if you made a game and it was 400meg you could put it on a 700meg CD, if it was 1.2gb you'd have to put it on a 4.2gb DVD, if it was 7 gig you'd have to put it on a DVD 9, etc. Dumpers dump the whole cart, and that emans you get 8MB, 16MB, 32MB or whatever of numbers, even if x amount of those numbers are 0s, the blank data left at the end of the cart.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using NDSTokyoTrim for a long time now without issue, but I may give TinyTrim a look.....if it really is faster and easier to use.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
biggrin.gif
I've never trimmed my games (I was always cautious because I often patched my games). Today, I trimmed my 5.5GB of ROMs (using TinyTrimmer) and managed to save 730MB of space.

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
biggrin.gif
I've never trimmed my games (I was always cautious because I often patched my games). Today, I trimmed my 5.5GB of ROMs and managed to save 730MB of space.
You really never trimmed any of your ROMs before
wtf.gif

If you were worried about patching, you could have just not trimmed the ones that needed patching until after.

QUOTE(DeMoN @ Mar 25 2010, 11:42 AM) Does anyone know how good the built-in trimmer for the CycloDS EvoTools is?
And do any of these programs work on a 64-bit computer?
Yeah, I was using until just a few hours ago, it's pretty good but doesn't trim certain games(such as ACII).
Now I use both TinyTrimmer(more thorough) and the Evo Tools(automatic) one for maximum effect!!
yay.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
iYoshi- said:
Last time i trimmed, a few of my games stopped working, i dont really need to trim seeing as i only have a few games
I presume you tried trimming DSi Enhanced games? Because those should be the only ones giving problems after being trimmed, they don't work anymore and just give white screens while loading. Other games should be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.