Homebrew Question Is GC/Wii emulation on the Switch a stupid idea? Because it sure looks that way...

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... Wouldn’t the switch be useless without a way to use it (I.e. joycons)?
The whole argument is that the switch is weak considering it’s value.

If the PS4 retailed at $10000, people would say it is weak.
The fact that the Nintendo switch is only somewhat powerful for $150 dollars and yet you need to throw down $100 more just to play it.

By that logic, saying the switch is weak makes perfect sense to me.
Compared to other things, yea, its weak. But for a PORTABLE CONSOLE it's powerful

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Monti64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It,s funny in which way the first comment started this but thankfully the switch is way more capable than you originally thought :D
By now Lakka is very good in Dolphin emulation. I use Vulkan and with that I can play Crazy Taxi with just boost oc and Wario World works smoothly too oh and Animal Crossing also. I am very optimistic on how this will end because by now most games work preety nicely without “unstable overclock“ :) (oh and also four swords adventures works smoothly too, I love that game :D)
And i tried a wind waker randomizer with open gl which already worked nearly perfect, so it will probably work even better with vulkan, which means less overclock is necessary but I haven't tried yet.
Also thanks for this discution I enjoyed reading through all that ^^

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It,s funny in which way the first comment started this but thankfully the switch is way more capable than you originally thought :D
By now Lakka is very good in Dolphin emulation. I use Vulkan and with that I can play Crazy Taxi with just boost oc and Wario World works smoothly too oh and Animal Crossing also. I am very optimistic on how this will end because by now most games work preety nicely without “unstable overclock“ :) (oh and also four swords adventures works smoothly too, I love that game :D)
And i tried a wind waker randomizer with open gl which already worked nearly perfect, so it will probably work even better with vulkan, which means less overclock is necessary but I haven't tried yet.
Also thanks for this discution I enjoyed reading through all that ^^

This thread is one of my many digital footprints that I would rather forget :blink:

Reactions: Monti64 and Csmrcc
D

Deleted User

How did this guy miss my linux series where i am playing gamecube and wii games via dolphin like wha?? Que jackie chan meme! I even booted morrowwind!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
God I wish they would let you delete threads :wtf:
We can lock it for you if you want, seeing that the question was already answered. :P

Long story short, for those who are tuning in late - is it possible on a stock Switch at stock clocks? No, not really - it wouldn't be particularly playable. Is it possible on an overclocked Switch? Absolutely, you can already do it via Lakka, and I imagine it would work even better in a native application due to smaller overhead.

Reactions: CORE

Qubarf

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Could somebody explain how to emulate on lakka, i have it setup up but am confused as to how to get what you guys are describing setup.

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also don’t fucking tell me to buy an FPGA and piss on it until it becomes a fucking RTX 2080ti, I’m sick of all these computer [removed word]s trying to shove their knowledge in my face just to prove that they’re smarter than me. I just wanna know what fucking cpu to buy.

What the fuck was I on when I wrote this? :rofl2:

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
I accidentally made this a question thread, whoops.
View attachment 157871
Before you reply to the thread, read it first. If I do say anything that isint correct or is misleading then please correct me.

I had a switch for about 4 months before selling it, so I don’t claim to be an expert on anything.

The only thing I’m basing my claim on is my understanding of the system specs. So again, please feel free to correct me.

Alright,
So the first thing I did when I got a switch was safely open the system up and look at its technical side. I wanted to know how much of a step up from the Wii U it was.

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed.

Though the GPU spec was better than the Wii U’s, it was limited by the flimsy small design of the console, making the actual preformance close to the same as the Wii U. On the other hand, the CPU spec of the RPU was actually just the same as the Wii U, which meant that the small environment for it would basically make the Wii U CPU far better.

“But wait!” I hear you say, “the Wii U can still emulate GCN games!”
And you’d be correct to only a very small extent.
For one, Nintendont is a loader, not an emulator, it just uses the GC system built into the Wii’s OS to play the games. So that is completely excluded.
The only real emulator type thing for GC on Wii U is the over clocked emulator, which is out of the water because it (hence the name) overclocks the specs. And over clocking is pretty much a lost cause on the switch for obvious reasons (the system would melt because it’s so small!). And even with overclocking the Wii U, the performance on the emulator was ASININE.

*Keep in mind that emulation is mainly CPU extensive. And the switch has a worse preforming CPU spec than the Wii U!

So, to get back on the subject, why would anybody invest in a GCN emulator for a Switch? Let alone a Wii emulator! It’s absurd to suggest that the performance would be anything but awful.

The whole thing would equate to nothing but a bunch of wasted time.

The geniuses that developed the home brew for the switch in the past should know better than to waste their time fighting a battle that they can’t win.

If people are still hellbent on getting 5fps on a dysfunctional GC emulator then I think the best course of action would be to develop more realistic brew until Nintendo utilized the E-Shop more.
The fact that Nintendo only has shovelware and NES games on the e-shop should be a dead giveaway that the Switch can’t handle much.

It’s pretty obvious why I sold my switch now, the specs are so disappointing that it’s actually better to just wait for YUZU to emulate a bit better than o by Nintendo’s shitty console.

If this type of emulation is possible than please enlighten me. Even if you have nothing much to add I still would like to know if you think it would be worthwhile for the Switch Devs to try to take on GC/Wii Emulation, because to me it seems crazy.

With emulation working very well in Lakka and L4t, I feel this thread should now be locked.

Reactions: Paolosworld

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c