Homebrew Is forcing ds games into widescreen possible?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
twlBg (and agbBg as well I suppose if you wanted to mod AGB_FIRM too) handles sending framebuffer stuff from arm9 to arm11 for display. (arm7 for AGB_FIRM. I'm not sure arm9 does anything in AGB mode aside from handling transfer of saves to/from AGBSAVE partition on NAND) So yeah, things like scaling filters and aspect ratio can be modified via twlBg/agbBg.

twlBg/agbBg are the arm11 sections of the FIRM of TWL_FIRM/AGB_FIRM.

The only thing I've ever messed with with twlBg was the dev launcher SRL buried in the .code.

So I'm not the person to ask on how to make said changes. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
twlBg (and agbBg as well I suppose if you wanted to mod AGB_FIRM too) handles sending framebuffer stuff from arm9 to arm11 for display. (arm7 for AGB_FIRM. I'm not sure arm9 does anything in AGB mode aside from handling transfer of saves to/from AGBSAVE partition on NAND) So yeah, things like scaling filters and aspect ratio can be modified via twlBg/agbBg.

The only thing I've ever messed with with twlBg was the dev launcher SRL buried in the .code.

So do you think it would be easy to do this?, and who could we get to do this job?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I'd like to see an AGB_FIRM patch to fix the awful darkened/blurry colour palette before any TWL_FIRM patches. DS Games would just look bad stretched to widescreen without any filters available.

I would also like to see an AGB_FIRM patch to switch a and b with b and y.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Join forces with CarlKenner and make nds VR capable please

D

Deleted User

This would be great, using the smaller screen just to play nds games without them being blurry is a pain sometimes.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a fantastic idea, can't believe it hasn't been suggested sooner. You'd think Nintendo themselves would have put a feature in for this, they let you do it in the old GBA games with GB/GBC games in a GBA. I hope someone is able to make this happen.

hotdogturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I misunderstanding the question here? Why would anyone want this? You are trying to make DS resolution (256x192, 4:3) fit into 3DS resolution (400x240, 5:3)? That's just going to stretch them horizontally, not improve the quality or make them "less blurry" like some posters are saying. It would make them more blurry.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Khangaroo

$ORIGINALTITLE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I misunderstanding the question here? Why would anyone want this? You are trying to make DS resolution (256x192, 4:3) fit into 3DS resolution (400x240, 5:3)? That's just going to stretch them horizontally, not improve the quality or make them "less blurry" like some posters are saying. It would make them more blurry.

Widescreen hacks and sharpening?

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina

The true is everybody hates the black bars. I personally don't mind if the picture will stretch...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd like to see an AGB_FIRM patch to fix the awful darkened/blurry colour palette before any TWL_FIRM patches. DS Games would just look bad stretched to widescreen without any filters available.
Ds games already look good on a 3DS, even with the resolution stretched and filtered.

Reactions: Deleted-481927
D

Deleted User

Maybe instead of this- we could work towards editing TWL firm somehow to be able to patch the ability to run DS games off the SD card. Just holding my peace here :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: also happy birthday @Xdqwerty