Homebrew Is DS homebrew officialy dead?

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last year, the DS scene yielded many menus for games and I remember that I contributed "connectors" between such menus and official kernels (for several flashcarts).
I think those menus are dead, but maybe homebrew-games are still alive.

By the way, talking about http://gbatemp.net/topic/335731-whytechnically-dont-some-menus-load-commercial-roms/
Nowadays ARM7 is practically ignored unless you really, really, really want to write a custom core for it or improve upon the existing one.
sadly (since hbmenu is licensed under GPL, to avoid it) homebrew loaders require custom arm7...

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm a bit late but I do think that the DS homebrew "scene" is kind of dead. At least, it's nowhere near as big as it used to be. But it's not like that's something to be scared of or sad about. The DS had a great run, it only makes sense that it would have to die out eventually.
What's more important is why you'd even care about such a thing. I mean sure it sucks that there aren't many new games coming out for the DS, but that shouldn't stop you (or anyone) from trying to make stuff for the DS. I personally think there's still a lot that's never been done with the DS that can be done. (hopefully I'll be able to prove that with my next project :P)

Reactions: 1 person

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am now programming in C with the Ds programming 101 tutorial. It's better than LUA, and has A LOT more functions. It's also very simple to learn. I will post a ds homebrew soon, if it's something acceptable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The suppository is his favorites