Gaming Is downgrading still necessary?

abrack08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see threads everywhere about how you can install a CFW without using a Pandora battery, but do you still have to downgrade your OFW first? I got my PSP 2001 from a guy on craigslist and he has it updated to 6.2. Do I have to downgrade first before I can use this new method? Or does the ChickHEN and all that work no matter the OFW?

Also, if I do have to downgrade, is there a way to downgrade without using a Pandora battery?

EDIT: Corrected OFW, originally put 6.5.

abrack08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 6.2, sorry. I had it plugged in to the computer in USB mode, didn't feel like unplugging it and checking it again.

So, ChickHen only works on 5.03. So my options are:

A) Don't downgrade, just use a Pandora.

B) Use a Pandora to downgrade and use ChickHen.

There isn't one that doesn't involve a Pandora then?

Also, I don't know if it's hackable, I don't know what kind of motherboard it has. I've seen several different guides, but I bought the thing on craigslist so I don't have the original box or any of that stuff, don't know what the OFW is, and when I open the UMD drive there's no little code in the upper right corner. The only other way I saw involved using a Pandora, which I wanted to avoid...

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
You can check on what kind of motherboard using PSPIdent, I think it was called. If your PSP's fully hackable, go for the Pandora. If it's semi-hackable, your only choice is to downgrade to 5.03 and use HEN.

And the OFW is as you said, 6.20. That's the OFW. (Official Firmware, refers to whatever official firmware is installed on the PSP at the moment.)

abrack08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, the for that "OFW", I meant original firmware. Like what it was out of the box. A lot of tutorials/guides go by what the firmware was out of the box, I was saying I didn't know it. I don't know that because I got it from someone else on craigslist. I know that OFW (official) is currently 6.2. Sorry for the misunderstanding

EDIT: And as far as I know about PSPIdent, I would have to already be hacked/downgrade and use chickHEN to use it, which defeats the point since I would be using it to know if I even should bother trying to hack it.

But I just remembered that I saw the box at the guys house when I got the PSP, and it was the special Daxter bundle. That means it is hackable, right?

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ragingchaosgod said:
You can check on what kind of motherboard using PSPIdent, I think it was called. If your PSP's fully hackable, go for the Pandora. If it's semi-hackable, your only choice is to downgrade to 5.03 and use HEN.

And the OFW is as you said, 6.20. That's the OFW. (Official Firmware, refers to whatever official firmware is installed on the PSP at the moment.)
If it is semi-hackable it cannot be downgraded.

abrack08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgghjjkll said:
Downgrading on TA088v3 firmware = Brick. do NOT downgrade.

Yeah, but I don't know which motherboard it is for sure, but I saw this: QUOTEDaxter Limited Edition Pack, comes with 3.80 OFW & a TA-085v2 Motherboard, and is hackable.
on another website.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Use a pandora. If it boots to the MMS, its hackable. If it doesn't, it's semi-hackable.

Before Rydian or xist comes here to object to me, he apparently uses 6.20. So PSPIdent wouldn't work
smile.gif

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
fgghjjkll said:
Use a pandora. If it boots to the MMS, its hackable. If it doesn't, it's semi-hackable.
This, answers everything you need to know. Nothing else said here is...correct. Well, completely correct.

Any slim downgraded under 3.71 is bricked, ta-088v3 brick no matter the version you downgrade to. 3k is same as 88v3 in that regard.

You don't need to downgrade anymore. Heck, there's even a MMS maker that installs the software for 5.50 GEN-D3 on it. Make a MMS with it, put in Pandora battery, ???, profit! (with a completely hackable PSP)

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Jolan said:
fgghjjkll said:
This, answers everything you need to know. Nothing else said here is...correct. Well, completely correct.

Any slim downgraded under 3.71 is bricked, ta-088v3 brick no matter the version you downgrade to. 3k is same as 88v3 in that regard.

You don't need to downgrade anymore. Heck, there's even a MMS maker that installs the software for 5.50 GEN-D3 on it. Make a MMS with it, put in Pandora battery, ???, profit! (with a completely hackable PSP)
That's why people use Time Machine
smile.gif

abrack08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there's no reason to downgrade, but there's no choice but to use a Pandora. I'm not sure I want to do that... I'll wait until I finish Peace Walker at least, don't want to mess anything up.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, currently pandora is the only way for 6.20. When you're ready, I have a guide here to help, if you'd like. If it needs improving at all, just post in the thread and I'll adjust it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock