utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
my gf is looking for a new flashcard and she wants the best one on the market so far.
a few questions:

1. is Cyclo DS still the best now? If not, what is?

2. is the 4GB SDHC slower compared to the 2GB SD? (loading time, etc)

3. will there be any problem playing multiplayer with my R4DS? say, Mario Kart or FFCC.

Thanks guys!

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1- Yes it is still the best
2- It depends on which class SDHC you get. The higher the class, the higher the speed
wink.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
utz030303 said:
Hi,
my gf is looking for a new flashcard and she wants the best one on the market so far.
a few questions:

Yep still the best. I have a Supercard DS-One and like it, but had an error that the team won't seem to fix. So I suggest this one since they have an awesome support team.

microSD speeds are dependent on write speeds. The size doesn't matter. Class 6 is the best speed you can get.

3. will there be any problem playing multiplayer with my R4DS? say, Mario Kart or FFCC.
Can't really answer this as I don't use multiplayer. Should be fine though as I haven't heard any complaints.

Thanks guys!

Answers in bold.

Votkrath

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
utz030303 said:
Hi,
a few questions:

Yep still the best. I have a Supercard DS-One and like it, but had an error that the team won't seem to fix. So I suggest this one since they have an awesome support team.

microSD speeds are dependent on write speeds. The size doesn't matter. Class 6 is the best speed you can get.

Can't really answer this as I don't use multiplayer. Should be fine though as I haven't heard any complaints.

Thanks guys!

Answers in bold.

If your gf is still unsure I agree with the post I quoted.

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that was really helpful
smile.gif

1. Ok, now I'm sure it's still the best. Very positive.

2. Sorry I don't understand this one, so how can I know which class it is? Does it depend on brand?
can you guys recommend the fastest 4gb sdhc please?
And if it's not capacity-related, does that mean it'll be just as fast as my Kingston 2gb?

3. This is the only point I'm still curious about, because I've heard in the past that if we use different flashcard there might be multiplayer problems. She had some problems once when her sister was still using a primitive slot-2 flashcard.

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
utz030303 said:
Hi,
a few questions:

Thanks guys!
YES
No if you get a class 6 4gig A-data Turbo like a little over 10 bucks at Newegg, but make sure it says turbo. IMO
No my wife has an R4 and we play all thoose games with no catch.
Hope it helps...

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, now that #1 and #3 are answered, I only need to find the right SDHC for her.

is this one any good?
http://www.ozmodchips.com/genuine-kingston...-card-p-51.html

I'm in Australia so if possible I want to get it from Australian store - simply because the shipping is cheaper and faster. However, if the product above is not good, then I newegg is fine too. Would you mind posting the URL of the SDHC you use? or the keywords?

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your info says your in the USA umm if so id go to this ,it's cheap but i have purchased 5 of em with no problems at all. Even on POR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211196
I hope this isn't considered spam.
hope it helps
(EDIT) Sorry didn't see the Australia part before disregard please.
I would check shipping still might come out cheaper. I have never heard a complaint on a good kingston chip.

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
budrow66 said:
No if you get a class 6 4gig A-data Turbo like a little over 10 bucks at Newegg, but make sure it says turbo. IMO
A-DATA is a hit and miss. Many are reported DOA. Not suggested.
Start to read...
^ Click the above link for all other thoughts on SD cards.

Enjoy
lecture.gif

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Priss said:
budrow66 said:
A-DATA is a hit and miss. Many are reported DOA. Not suggested.

mmm.. so any recommendation which one I should get?

Thanks for the link
smile.gif

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mmm... yup! It's still the best. No problem playing multiplayer with R4DS, but get a CycloDS because it's the best.

Note that the CycloDS is also extremely expensive.. as it's the best. So choose wisely.

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
utz030303 said:
Thanks, now that #1 and #3 are answered, I only need to find the right SDHC for her.

is this one any good?
http://www.ozmodchips.com/genuine-kingston...-card-p-51.html

I'm in Australia so if possible I want to get it from Australian store - simply because the shipping is cheaper and faster. However, if the product above is not good, then I newegg is fine too. Would you mind posting the URL of the SDHC you use? or the keywords?
Kind've expensive compared to other places. A A-Data 4GB card is $25 at MSY

Btw, Newegg doesn't ship to Australia

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I'm now convinced to get her a CycloDS + whatever good class 6 SDHC I can find.
And it's good to hear that it's compatible with R4DS so I can still play with my gf
smile.gif

As for A-Data, I dont know, but after reading Priss' comment, I'm a bit concerned about getting it.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can anyone tell me why the CycloDS Evolution is better than the M3 Real? I see that a lot of people here prefer the CycloDS Evolution (which is not too strange, as it's one of the best carts on the market), but I don't understand why the M3 Real (which is a lot cheaper as well) would be worse.

Right now, the M3 Real has two menus: an old, slow one which has all of the features the CDSE has and a new one (Sakura) which is, let's face it, better than any other menu. Now, if the M3 Team adds RTS to Sakura (and I'm certain that they will), what features would the CycloDS Evolution have? Sure, the support is good, but M3 Teams support is very good as well. Actually, in the early days of the M3 Real they have helped me a lot, improved the compatibility a lot and best of all: their support is on this forum, not on another forum where you can't say another cart is better without taking the risk of getting banned.

Add the wonderful GBA support of the M3 Real (which is unbeatable at the moment) and I don't see why the CycloDS Evolution is so popular.

I don't want to start any flame wars here, but I'd like to hear why people think the CycloDS Evolution is better, that's all.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
The interface is more streamlined, no mess no BS clean and simple. There are also frequent updates (talking about Beta's here as well) and the support team actively discusses problems with the users. There's also the large support forum. And add to that list a good list of features: RTS, game guide, GBA support (with the beta), custom save folders (beta), slow-motion. The few that came to mind anyway.

BTW, doesn't the M3Real have RTS now? Or did I read wrong somewhere?

@OP:
Stay away from the Adata, there are seriously a large number of mixed reviews, some people find it runs fine, some people find it lags and freezes. As for me I bought an Adata 4GB off MSY a good number of months back, needless to say it lagged (in the menus), froze ingame and it took a good 3-4 seconds to load up the enhanced menu, compared to my current Sandisk 8GB - ~1-2 seconds. Trust me it's a PAIN IN THE ASS to wait that long, especially if you use menu features a lot. I'd also suggest MSY, pay $2 more and grab the 4GB Kingston, i've had no problems in the past with my old one. Make sure it's made in Japan though, their stock changes quite frequently. By the way, if it's made in Japan or not won't matter I think, it's for your GF right? Does she intend to play castlevania:PoR or Tony hawk skating games anytime soon? If not then taiwan/china/japan doesn't matter. ;P

And for the record, all this Class ratings is good/bad is complete and UTTER CRAP. If you're using it in a flashcart you're looking for RANDOM ACCESS times and READ speeds. Class ratings were meant for high thoroughput WRITE operations such as what digital cameras (and surprise surprise, phones) do. That class rating refers to WRITE speed, NOT READ. This is seriously the 10000000x time i've had to say this, might have to sig it
mad.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sticks said:
The interface is more streamlined, no mess no BS clean and simple. There are also frequent updates (talking about Beta's here as well) and the support team actively discusses problems with the users. There's also the large support forum. And add to that list a good list of features: RTS, game guide, GBA support (with the beta), custom save folders (beta), slow-motion. The few that came to mind anyway.

BTW, doesn't the M3Real have RTS now? Or did I read wrong somewhere?
Alright, I guess the interface is just a matter of preference. Frequent updates... I don't know about that one. The betas of the CycloDS Evolution software are older than the M3 Real updates. Alright, the support seems a bit better, but nothing big here either...

Then the features you're talking about. The M3 Real indeed has an RTS function since v4.0. The GBA support is actually better, because the CycloDS Evolution simply doesn't have as many features. I'm talking about RTS for GBA roms here. The M3 Real has Slow Motion as well.

I don't know about the custom save folders. I do know that the M3 Real doesn't have a game guide feature (at least you can't read a walkthrough using the ingame menu, and I guess that's what you mean).

Anyway, it's nice to see the pros and cons listed here
smile.gif
Thanks for your answer.

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
I would have to say in my opinion that the M3 Real and the CycloDS are the best 2 cards on the market.

Both have good support. CycloDS has an active forum in English and M3 release updats and make improvements often enough /when required (RTS new feature release not so long ago).

M3 has 3 x RTS Slots for each NDS Game
CyloDS has 1 x RTS slot for each NDS Game

M3 Real has RTS for GBA
CycloDS does not has RTS for GBA

In Aus M3 Real $59 for an extra $20.50 (at time of purcahse otherwise $35) you get GBA Expansion Pak - Total $79.50
In Aus CycloDS $79 for an Extra $35 (at time of purchase or later on) you buy an EZ 3 in 1 for GBA Expansion - Total $114

M3 Real - Sakura nice, fast responsive menu, great movie playback, Old Sofwtare slow, unresponsive but still quite usable
CycloDS - Very responsive, quick and easy to use menu system

M3 Real - no in game light change
CycloDS - in game light change

M3 Real - no in game guide / txt reader
CycloDS - in game guide / text reader

There are pros and cons to both cards and there are other small differences too like you can auto boot into the last game played on the CycloDS but not on the M3 Real etc.

I have both cards and would no give either up for anything. CycloDS is my main NDS game card because it had RTS before M3 Real so my games are on that. M3 Real had inbuilt GBA support before CycloDS so my GBA games are on that - AND M3 Real has RTS for GBA games and I would never give that up.

The menu system is a matter of choice - I am still getting use to Sakura but at this moment I still much prefer the old menu system. Two reasons - I am use to it and it is not all that bad for me as I can spare the few extra seconds when I want to change game folders etc (although very annoying) and MAINLY the old menu system has 3 x RTS slots for each NDS game.

As far as I am concerned the M3 Real rivals the CycloDS on a NDS Game level but as far as I am concerned M3 Real blows CycloDS out of the water for GBA gaming.

Overall it is hard to say which is the BEST as it depends on exactly what you are looking for in a card. It all comes down to personal choice. Do you want 3 x RTS slot, or a faster GUI, background light changing or GBA support with RTS, is price a consideration / value for money etc etc etc. Once you can figure out what it is you definitely want and what you can live without then you can work out which card to purchase

I will add I would never have purchased the CycloDS if the M3 Real had RTS included for NDS Games before I bought the CycloDS - however I will NEVER get rid of my CycloDS and will ALWAYS keep my M3 Real too.

smile.gif

P.s. If anyone was to purchase from Aus I would highly recommend OzModChips with complete confidence and no hesitation what so ever.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated