Is buying a DSi XL worth for a girl with bad eyesight?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by .psyched, Aug 16, 2010.

1. .psyched
    OP

Member .psyched GBAtemp Regular

France
    Yeah, well, my question is more or less the topic title. I'm thinking of replacing my DSL with a DSi XL. Worth it or not?

2. agimann

Member agimann GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    i`ll say its worth it, i have a quite bad eyesight myself and dsi xl is of much help becouse of the screens are both bigger and sharper.
    if you can trade in your dsi for an dsi xl plus some extra euros that would be great.

3. .psyched
    OP

France
    It's a DS Lite. I'll have a super uber bad chance at selling it. Otherwise, that's what I was thinking about the DSi XL too. My dad wants me to get an Ipad instead, and, honestly, I don't see the point.

4. agimann

Member agimann GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    no, you got a good chance at selling it. i sold both me and my fathers ds lites to families that had small kids.
    does your father know you cant play .ds games on an ipad? why would you need an ipad then? i got 500 NKR for my red ds lite, and dsi xl costed 1300nkr and it`s worth it.

5. .psyched
    OP

France
    He just wants the Ipad because it has a bigger screen >.>
    But yeah, I'll see other people's advice, and thanks to you =D

6. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    ipads arent for games if you like playing games that wouldnt make any sense at all.

my little brother has terrible eyesight he used to hold the dslite only about two inches away from his face even with his glasses on and still squint the dsi xl he holds about six inches away no squinting.

i'm no expert on whether or not people with bad eyes should be playing video games but thankfully thats not what you asked.

to answer your question simply yes for someone with bad eyes the dsi xl will almost surely make a significant difference.

7. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    I would go for it... I have a bad eye myself (well, sometimes it's fine, and some times, I can't make out who is standing 3 ft in front of me...), and the other one gets lazy when I'm tired, so I'm stuck playing games with my bad eye, and I can still see perfectly (well, I can read perfectly while using the DSi Browser, so yeah...)...

Also, sorta off-topic, but Wine Red/Burgundy is great, I love it [​IMG]

Also, it's ~1/3 the price of an iPad [​IMG]

In case you haven't read this already, DSi 1.4 flash carts work fine on it...

8. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    I say go and get glasses for more clear sight? That way the screen wont really matter unless you are used to zoom your head all the way in on the screen

9. .psyched
    OP

France
    I never was into an Ipad, it's just my dad and those silly little games like Tap Tap and... well, yeah.
    So now I'll have to try and convince my dad, because, frankly, he's so into Apple it's scary.
    So, how many times is the screen bigger than the DSL's?

DarkStriker -> I do wear glasses. That's why I was wondering if the DSi XL would be better for my poor, poor eyes. Did I mention all my family wears glasses?

10. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    I think it's 93% larger surface area...

You will DEFINITELY notice the difference when you get it...

4.2 inches (10.67 CM) size from one corner of the screen to the opposite side...

It's a monstrosity, but it will fit in most decently-sized pockets... Basically, if you can get your DS Lite and a small candy bar phone (Nokia 6030, 2610 or similar sized phone), you'll get it in there...

The big pen stylus is huge and you'll get spoiled by it quickly and you will hate your regular DS Lite styli just as quickly... Careful though, because it has to stay loose from the DS because it's too big to fit inside... Not a con, but be careful with it... You can get one for about 2 USD on eBay with free shipping (I did, had to replace mine [​IMG]) (about 1.3 euro or so... don't know that conversion [​IMG]).

Hope this helps!

11. xxteargodxx

Member xxteargodxx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If your eyes are that bad, then I say get it replaced. However if you can play it just fine and it doesn't bother your eyes too much then just stick with your DS Lite.

If you are however going to sell your console, definitely look into selling it to a friend or family member or anywhere else before you go to GameStop. They will offer you crap for your DS Lite.

12. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    I doubt there's a GameStop in France.

However, if you have enough to do it, I say why not, It'll be better than an iPad anyway.

13. .psyched
    OP

France
    Right, then I guess this is solved. Thanks, guys.

14. sporkonomix

Newcomer sporkonomix Advanced Member

United States
    It's worth it if you have no plans of buying a 3DS. I'm sort of "meh" toward my DS Lite as well, and the DSi's buttons feel much better, but I'm holding out for a 3DS. No need to waste my money on something I'll only get to use for a few months before the successor comes out.

The 3DS will be out by March of next year; it's up to you if you can wait on it.

15. .psyched
    OP

France
    I'm pretty sure the 3DS isn't in my must-buy list. Somehow.

16. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
  17. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's not just the size to consider. Most agree the screen on the standard DSi is a lot better than on the DSL, it clearer/ brighter and feels a lot easier on my eyes.

It's also going to depend on your glasses. If you have them for distance, it makes your eyes work very hard if you have to work upclose. You will be able to hold the DSi XL futher from your eyes which should make it easier. If you have them for your near vison, then it should still reduce eyestrain. Focusing upclose for any extended period of time always compromises your eyesight, especially if you are tired.

18. carlpk

Newcomer carlpk Member

United States
    welll if your willing to pay a little more for a bigger screen i think it worth it becuz u can miss out on a lot with bad eyesight