Is burn in an issue with the 2ds xl or any 3ds model when playing emulated games?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Grin59, Oct 11, 2019 at 1:31 AM.

1. Grin59
    OP

Grin59 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    I was going to load up a rom hack of Link to the Past, parallel worlds, which looks amazing. I am kinda concerned of burn in, I was on a rom website looking at game injects and saw an issue some were having was ghosting and image burn in, or retention to be correct since we're dealing with lcd displays and not oleds.

So, any chance of this happening? I was just going to use retroarch.

2. Rj.MoG

Rj.MoG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    Yes. Burn in can happen on LCDs and is permanent. Dont leave the screen on all night and day after playing, just close it

3. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    The only issue I've heard is with some games that rapidly alternate color every other frame. Apparently there were some GBA games when injected that used this technique to simulate transparency on the slow GBA screens, these could cause retention on 3DS. If you found a similar technique for another emulated system you might hit the same issue.

4. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    It's not permanent. Some types of LCDs used on 3/2DS don't like rapid flickering graphics and the result is a burn in effect that vanishes after a hour or so max. It does not damage the LCDs at all but it's ugly of course.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted