Homebrew Is anyone trying this to run homebrew on DSi?

Jorad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there!

I'm sure this is going to catch a lot of flack from a lot of the people who are sick of people posting ideas and questions about homebrew but I hope that some people will take this into consideration as a possible work around.

I'm not going to pretend to know a whole lot about homebrewing and the such but I recently had an idea that may be an avenue for running unsigned code on the DSi.

The DSi uses an online store that serves it with installable applications. I don't know if these are anything like wii channels or not but whatever. Instead of trying to find a savegame exploit (which is difficult because the game is separate from the DSi menu) why not try to emulate the DSi store by changing the DNS on your home router to an emulated store server connected to your network. I'm not sure if anyone knows the IP of the DSi store but I'm sure it could be found by monitoring the outgoing traffic on the router. Then you would be free to possibly save the packets going to the DSi from the official server and later break apart the given application and package your own with the same signatures.

So what do you think Possible?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'd need Nintendo's private signature to be able to create a channel which could be installed i.e. its practically impossible. That signature is probably RSA-256 or something, i.e. it'd take thousands of years to crack (in a random bruteforce, if it was the last to be tried. On the other hand, it could be the first and be cracked in seconds, but that's incredibly unlikely considering the number of possibilities)

Jorad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not saying anything about weather or not you can get the common key or not. But lets say our friends do have or can get the common key and they still want to combat piracy. this could possibly be a way to shunt all homebrew apps through themselves by keeping control of the key, and setting up a repository where you send your DNS to route outgoing IPs to. Just a thought. I'm not saying it would work, just making my idea known in case it has any merit.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Jorad said:
I'm not saying anything about weather or not you can get the common key or not. But lets say our friends do have or can get the common key and they still want to combat piracy. this could possibly be a way to shunt all homebrew apps through themselves by keeping control of the key, and setting up a repository where you send your DNS to route outgoing IPs to. Just a thought. I'm not saying it would work, just making my idea known in case it has any merit.

That still destroys homebrew. Who should decide quality? and the person who finds the key isn't an answer. We could have someone who is to tight with there roll.
The reason why a scene thrives is because there is no limit on anything, sure there's crap homebrew but that has as much right to be available as any other.

Also explain
QUOTEsetting up a repository where you send your DNS to route outgoing IPs to
Because i cannot see any logic in it.

People set up repos as a storage location.

DNS stands for Domain Name System. It assigns a site's ip address with a text link. example: 91.121.42.111 is assigned www.gbatemp.net

So basically you want to send the domain name system to a place to store things to route outgoing IPs to. WHAT?! (I can't even understand the last part so I'm not even going to try.)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jorad said:
Common key wouldn't allow anyone to do anything like this anyway, you'd need private key for that, which would be much harder to come by, and the crap you are talking shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about: "setting up a repository where you can send your DNS to route outgoing IPs to"? lol.

Jorad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I fully understand that DNS means dynamic name server. what I am saying is redirect requests coming from local clients (your dsi) looking for the Nintendo store IP to an IP that has a sort of cloned dsiware store... I'm also not talking about screening bad homebrew out... I'm talking about stopping anything that is a blatant piracy attempt... much like the early iphone repositories of homebrew apps pre appstore...

P.S I didn't ever say I knew anything about software based hacking at all... I just thought I'd throw an idea out there because yes you can reroute IP addresses and mask them as others therefor it could be possible to do something like this....

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Jorad said:
I fully understand that DNS means dynamic name server.

XD. DOMAIN name server.

Jorad said:
what I am saying is redirect requests coming from local clients (your dsi) looking for the Nintendo store IP

This is fine, we've done this before and got more free dsi points than we should have by hooking up ntsc, pal, etc shops.

Jorad said:
to an IP that has a sort of cloned dsiware store...

You mean a cloned map of the repo. If you try to clone the dsiware store then that will surely border on legality issues.

QUOTE(Jorad @ Aug 9 2010, 10:52 PM) I'm also not talking about screening bad homebrew out... I'm talking about stopping anything that is a blatant piracy attempt... much like the early iphone repositories of homebrew apps pre appstore...

And how that failed. Recently a 15 year old kid snuck a thethered wifi app into the store disguised as a flashlight app. People will create loaders and hide them in harmless software until say a combanation was pressed. This will ALWAYS happen.

QUOTE(Jorad @ Aug 9 2010, 10:52 PM)
P.S I didn't ever say I knew anything about software based hacking at all... I just thought I'd throw an idea out there because yes you can reroute IP addresses and mask them as others therefor it could be possible to do something like this....

Why and how the hell would you spoof a server side IP? As an example I'll use 91.121.42.111 and 172.194.36.104, and lets just say for arguements sake google doesn't exist. You can redirect one site to another (so 172.194.36.104 sends you to 91.121.42.111 as soon as you go on it) but it still will go through to the cloned map site with it's original IP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66