Gaming Is Anyone Else In A DS Gaming Funk?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't forget that the Nintendo systems are geared towards a younger audience, with an exception to the Wii. Some games on the Wii are worthy of being manly games, like TLoZ:TP but other than that... Hell, if you like manly games, I'm sure the XBox 360 or a PS3 is out there for you. Yes, I understand that games at the moment suck but you have to remember that there are a very small few who may enjoy these games. But seriously, if you do not like the DS, please just get rid of it or sell it. I'm just stating my opinion, but flame me all you want. My opinion towards the DS will stay the same.

ViRGE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Joey Ravn said:
ViRGE said:
Yep. I've played the essentials list (and most of the good stuff out of the recommended list). I'm not looking for old things to play, I'm looking at what's going to be new. Thus far I'm lamenting the fact that that there's precious little on the upcoming games list that isn't casual crap or an RPG.

That doesn't make any sense. We can only speculate about how good (or bad) a game will be if it's not released yet.
We can easily know how good a game is going to be before it's released. Here's the upcoming games list from GameFAQs:
Code:
05/19ÂÂ I Love Beauty: Hollywood Makeover
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂJagged Alliance
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂPuchi Puchi Virus
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSpace Camp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSteal Princess
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂYu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Stardust Ac...
05/20ÂÂ Imagine: Makeup Artist
05/26ÂÂ Jake Hunter Detective Story: Me...
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂNaruto Shippuden: Ninja Council 4
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂPersonal Trainer: Walking
05/27ÂÂ Imagine: Boutique Owner
05/28ÂÂ Crazy Chicken: Atlantis Quest
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂCrazy Chicken: Pharaoh's T...
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂCrazy Chicken: Star Karts
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂJohnny Bravo: Date-O-Rama!
06/02ÂÂ Fashion Week: Junior Stylist
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂKnights in the Nightmare
06/03ÂÂ Petz Fashion: Dogz & Catz
06/08ÂÂ Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂC.O.R.E.
Now we can remove every game that's going to be shovelware, casual, or crap due to its genre. Technically we could also throw out most imports, since we already know how they play.
CODE
Jagged Alliance
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Me...
C.O.R.E.
This leaves us with Jake Hunter, where the first game was absolute tripe, and CORE, a game that even Nintendo power can't bear to give more than a 5.5 (never mind it's breaking the cardinal rule of "don't do a FPS on a console without an analog stick"). Meanwhile Jagged Alliance is a port of a fairly old PC TBS game, and I don't remember it being that good when it came out.

What exactly am I supposed to be looking forward to?

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advice. But it doesn't change the fact that the upcoming games list is pitiful, which is what I'm trying to drive home.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
ViRGE said:
Joey Ravn said:
ViRGE said:
Yep. I've played the essentials list (and most of the good stuff out of the recommended list). I'm not looking for old things to play, I'm looking at what's going to be new. Thus far I'm lamenting the fact that that there's precious little on the upcoming games list that isn't casual crap or an RPG.

That doesn't make any sense. We can only speculate about how good (or bad) a game will be if it's not released yet.
We can easily know how good a game is going to be before it's released. Here's the upcoming games list from GameFAQs:
Code:
05/19ÂÂ I Love Beauty: Hollywood Makeover
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂJagged Alliance
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂPuchi Puchi Virus
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSpace Camp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSteal Princess
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂYu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Stardust Ac...
05/20ÂÂ Imagine: Makeup Artist
05/26ÂÂ Jake Hunter Detective Story: Me...
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂNaruto Shippuden: Ninja Council 4
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂPersonal Trainer: Walking
05/27ÂÂ Imagine: Boutique Owner
05/28ÂÂ Crazy Chicken: Atlantis Quest
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂCrazy Chicken: Pharaoh's T...
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂCrazy Chicken: Star Karts
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂJohnny Bravo: Date-O-Rama!
06/02ÂÂ Fashion Week: Junior Stylist
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂKnights in the Nightmare
06/03ÂÂ Petz Fashion: Dogz & Catz
06/08ÂÂ Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂC.O.R.E.
Now we can remove every game that's going to be shovelware, casual, or crap due to its genre. Technically we could also throw out most imports, since we already know how they play.
CODE
Jagged Alliance
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Me...
C.O.R.E.
This leaves us with Jake Hunter, where the first game was absolute tripe, and CORE, a game that even Nintendo power can't bear to give more than a 5.5 (never mind it's breaking the cardinal rule of "don't do a FPS on a console without an analog stick"). Meanwhile Jagged Alliance is a port of a fairly old PC TBS game, and I don't remember it being that good when it came out.

What exactly am I supposed to be looking forward to?

Nope there are still other games.... but you don't give them a chance because they are RPGs..... And you have too high expectations.... Indie developers have done quite a good job developing games so far (Soul Bubbles and Conduit) I'm sure C.O.R.E will be above average by a notch even if its not excellent.

Knights in the Nightmare is pretty good too, from the videos i've seen and its J version was pretty good from what I've heard....

And that is just the u release list right? And its only for the next few weeks. June is when the great games come in.... theres Roogoo attack, Megaman SF 3 and STARFY!!!!

Seriously the dictionary has the word try in it for a reason....

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tropicana said:
The DS has just one good fighting game.
Jump Ultimate Stars
Bleach Blade of Fate
Bleach Dark Souls

That's 3 good fighting games.

QUOTE said:
The DS has no good racing game to my knowledge.
Mario Kart. How could you miss that?

The DS has a few good rhythem games, but not enough.

I agree with this. The DS needs more rhythm games.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
I, too, am in a bit of a game funk. I got to the last boss of Hatsworth and played Super Robot Taisen for 10-12 hours before I hit the wall.

Right now I'm alternating between trying random things and Kirby Squeak Squad, waiting for a new title to come out to grab my attention.

With the upcoming game list, though, that shouldn't be long with titles like Ghostbusters, Overlord Minions, Steal Princess, Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming, Legendary Starfy, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Miami Law, Roogoo Attack!, and the Humans all coming out before the end of June. (Yes, I intentionally left out RPGs)

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Kaos said:
Tropicana said:
The DS has just one good fighting game.
Jump Ultimate Stars
Bleach Blade of Fate
Bleach Dark Souls

That's 3 good fighting games.

*Puts on flame suit* I never really got into JUS. I'll give it a try again though. And Blach Blade of Fate and Dark Souls aren't significantly different, in terms of gameplay, but the 2nd game is just a better game than the first. I mean, they're both great games, but I still want a proper fighting game on the ds. For like say, a proper Guilty gear game, and a KOF game. They could easily happen, but I guess there just isn't enough interest.....

QUOTE said:
The DS has no good racing game to my knowledge.
Mario Kart. How could you miss that?

No, I mean like REAL racing games. Mario Kart is good, but I got tired of it quite quickly. I still play it with friends though, as that's the only time I actually have some fun with it.

The DS has a few good rhythem games, but not enough.

I agree with this. The DS needs more rhythm games.

SkyintheSea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also trying to find a good DS game to play. Playing Magicians Quest, but reminds me of Animal Crossing to much. Tired of RPG's seriously, even though Super Robot T. caught my attention a little I don't have enough patients to sit through a RPG anymore. This months releases f*****g sucks too.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Rhythm games own. Where the f**k are those? I played EBA all the way to the end just because it was a rhythm game. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Rhythm Heaven) I've yet to play. Hell, there's tons of DS games on my PC that I wanna play so I've always got something.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ViRGE said:

That's hyping a game. How many times has a game been hyped, yet it proved to be utter crap when released? You were able to find that list and decide which games you would like...

Are you sure you've read this guide?

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Decent to great Legit Racing Games:

Speed Racer (despite it being a licensed game, it plays a LOT like F-Zero X)
Need for Speed Underground
Trackmania DS
Monster Jam: Urban Assault
Race Driver: Create & Race (Seems to be more for the customization freak, like GT players)

Rhythm Games:
Elite Beat Agents
Rhythm Heaven
Guitar Hero games (you can buy the controller for a few bucks on DealExtreme)
Music Mon-Stars (GREAT music game that just uses the stylus, full of quirky songs like Ghostbusters theme, Numa Numa, Tetris theme, and some inspired picks like Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus)

TraumaHoundNDS

Trophies
Website
traumahound.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
United States
In a word: no.

Granted, I tend to prefer arcade-type games like Geometry Wars: Galaxies (on the DS & Wii...good times!) or Space Invaders Extreme 1 & 2 so I'm more of a pick-up-and-play kinda gamer. That's not to say I don't enjoy other types of games (just beat Xmen Origins: Wolverine, going for 100% in GTA: CW) but it's easier for me to not get too bored when I'm mostly looking for short-term gaming experiences.

That said, I did pick up The Dark Spire (with the sweet pack-in soundtrack CD) and now that I've found a couple of FAQs for it I think I'm ready to dive into that one. I'm sure it'll be a long-haul but it looks fun and reminds me of the good ol' days. I'm also looking to give Magician's Quest a go since Animal Crossing was fun (until I realized there's nothing to do but pick & sell fruit and dig weeds) and a cute diversion now and then can't be all bad. And C.O.R.E. is supposedly finally seeing a June street date so I'm definitely giving that a try (if for no other reason than to offset the cuteness of Magician's Quest.)

Now if only Gauntlet DS would see the light of day...

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Donato_Dobango said:
Decent to great Legit Racing Games:

Speed Racer (despite it being a licensed game, it plays a LOT like F-Zero X)
Need for Speed Underground
Trackmania DS
Monster Jam: Urban Assault
Race Driver: Create & Race (Seems to be more for the customization freak, like GT players)

Rhythm Games:
Elite Beat Agents
Rhythm Heaven
Guitar Hero games (you can buy the controller for a few bucks on DealExtreme)
Music Mon-Stars (GREAT music game that just uses the stylus, full of quirky songs like Ghostbusters theme, Numa Numa, Tetris theme, and some inspired picks like Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus)

EBA was too short and easy
Rhythem Heaven was also short, though the extras are quite nice.
Guitar Hero games were rather meh.
Music Mon Stars isn't out yet.
Ouendan 1 was ok, and Ouedan 2 was quite nice.
Ontamamora was rather odd, though it was fun to play for a little while. I heard it was very short.

EDIT: I should try out Zubo. It looked interesting....

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Definitely in a funk.
Don't wanna play Mugen no Frontier (no motivation, finished it twice already in GLORIOUS NIPPONESE, also the story isn't doing much for me. Oh, and all the THIS GAME HAS TITS IT MUST BE AWESOME people automatically polarise me against the game (which is typical of me, but oh well)).
And, having imported Yugioh WC2009 and legitimately unlocked 90+% of all the content (one booster pack remaining, but I have to grind 146 riding duels for that HENCE THE LACK OF DESIRE TO CONTINUE PLAYING) I'm pretty much doing NOTHING with my DS.

Was thinking of booting up le moonshell and reading a book, except that I read through all my books (except the Shore in Twilight, but that one's really not as fantastic as the previous 2), and finding a new book to read is also impossible (picky reader, and after finishing Brandon Sanders' Mistborn trilogy I doubt I'll be able to find something which can measure up that I HAVEN'T already read).

Finished SRW K (about three times, god damn) and it was fun (squad system was cool, and doing a side-characters-only run was fun too) but I'm done with that game (and it's broken balance (WHAT'S THAT DANGAIOH, YOU CAN SOLO THE ENTIRE GAME? YEAH~)).

Dokapon Journey was a supreme letdown. Sure, monopoly the rpg YEAH~, but it's all so random, which takes the fun right out. NO YOU SON OF A BITCH I DO NOT RANDOMLY WANT TO GIVE ONE OF MY LIBERATED TOWNS TO THE CPU PLAYER TO CONGRATULATE HIM ON WIPING HIS OWN ASS. That, and a combat system which comes down to whatever you do, you die in 2 hits. Mlehtastic.

WAS looking forward to Infinite Space. About a year ago. Then they released gameplay videos. Wahey, not touching that shit. I was promised a realtime* battle system where the actions you can do are decided by an AP bar. What I SEE in the gameplay video is an EXTREMELY SLOW turn based rpg. It was so slow, I raged.

Guess only Devil Survivor remains on my list of games I'd like to play. ...And maybe Black Sigil: Forever
smileipb2.png

Or I could go back and grab a guide and play some Sigma Harmonics (note; Playing story-heavy games in a language you can't understand where the story is related to and important for gameplay is for a type of person I can't relate to.).

I'd say I'm looking forward to Pkmn Heart Gold, but I don't play teh pogeymans in their native language, and seeing as how an English release is far far away, no dice.** I'd play Dark Spire, but it's basically Etrian Odyssey; Boring Edition, so no***.

Sigh. Well... There's always the fun games I passed up when they were released. Like KIMO KAWA E! (Urge to import, and play in front of children, rising) and Space Invaders Extreme 2 (this is the first proper suggestion I've given myself since starting this rant).****

* This might be the same case as with FF13, where my eyes register arrangements of letters correctly, and somehow my brain interprets ACTIVE TIME TURN BASED BATTLE SYSTEM as REALTIME BATTLE SYSTEM. Needless to say, 0 interest in FF13. (Or should I say generic fantasy 9001 ohiamsowittyforREAL)
** You could say I'm looking forward to IMPATIENT nice people. begging for a translation patch of a game which is 100% sure to make it stateside.
*** I fucking love me some Etrian. Shit, I should hit that shit up. Except that I haven't played in forever, so I have a high level party on floor 28 that I have no idea what to do with. HOORAY.*****
**** I AM SORRY ABOUT ALL THE CROSS REFERENCES******
***** Also a noticeable phenomenon with TWEWY; OH I'LL PLAY TWEWY AGAIN, I LOVED THAT GAME. followed by WHAT THE SHIT ARE THESE PINS AND HOW DO I USE THEM. WHAT IS THIS "TAP" YOU SPEAK OF, DEVIL GAME?
****** TO BE HONEST, I FUCKING LOVE CROSS REFERENCES. I REGRET NOTHING. A++++, WOULD CROSSREF AGAIN!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After reading JDandy's post, I gotta admit. He's 100% correct about everything. I feel the same way, and I was also "flamed" for "bad-mouthing" Super Robot Wars OG SAGA:EF.

CrimsonRose said:
Tropicana said:
It won't sell very well either ya know.

It's like how Ninja Gaiden DS looked amazing, but had horrendous sales. Atlus games usually don't appeal to the younger kids.
pfft what are you talken about it isnt anything close to ninja gaiden! Robot Taisen looks awsome and is awsome and the boobs are an extra! You must be gay to not liek that literally!

In my case, though there aren't a lot new to play, there's plenty of old stuff and DJ Max for me to fill up the void.

ZeroEXE93 said:
QUOTE(Tropicana @ May 17 2009, 02:44 PM)
Music Mon Stars isn't out yet.
It has been out for a while, and its release number is 3086.

Whoops. I didn't know that. I'll try it out right now.

GhostToast

Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this might be part of the problem, but i realize that a lot of the problem for myself, is having so much selection. i'll "check out" a bunch of games from the "library" while i'm at work, and then fill up my gargantuan card with tons of games, and then try them here and there.

some games end up sitting on the card, never to be played. why did i put them on there? why didn't i give them a chance even? some sit on the PC and never even get put on the card. some, i will play for about 4 minutes before resetting and trying something else. is 4 minutes really enough time to determine if i will like a game?

i think part of the problem we face with having basically every game at our fingertips, is we don't give titles enough of a chance. i remember when i used to go into gamestop and sure, there were probably only a few games that were worth even trying. but when i put my hard-earned money down, i was going to make damn sure i gave that game my all, hoping that it would pay off and be a winner. at the least i would play it for 4 or 5 days, ensuring i had enough time to take it back (i always bought used) so i could trade it in for something better.

we have nothing to lose by not finishing a game. hell, i almost never finish games now. in fact, i think the only one i have finished since i got my R4 was ninjatown, cause it was just so fun.

what if we only put 5 games on our flashcarts and made a real effort to try each one? maybe just one at a time, and having a couple extra "time-killers" on there for when we just need something different.

especially with RPGs, its very easy to start one, think "eh this is just like xyz game" and quit before you've really given it a chance. of course, half the time, it is just like xyz game. but still. we're cheating ourselves of the chance to enjoy games.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
GhostToast is absolutely right. If you have so many games available, it's hard to focus on just one of them. I always think that I should just remove all the games in my SD card and only leave 5-10 or so, but then I think "Well, what if something happens to my computer and I can't get them back?" or something along those lines, and I end up not taking them out.

Also, if you have a bunch of games and don't know what to play, you can always use the fortune cookie in www.backloggery.com! It will randomly pick a DS game from your collection for you to play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock