is a Hack (homebrew?) to make audio bluetooth possible?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Hikenkami, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hikenkami
    OP

Hikenkami GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2015
    France
    Hi all,

Been wondering since Nintendo announced that the Switch would be compatible with bluetooth headphones, and backed off two or three days before the release, if there would be a possibility to make a homebrew that would allow to activate the bluetooth chip. Since it is there and used for the joy con connectivity, should work right?

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The switch has hacks/homebrew? :creep:

Kevinpuerta likes this.
  3. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
  4. Hikenkami
    OP

Hikenkami GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2015
    France

I know it hasn't but since some
    Have started reverse engineering they could maybe tell us the hardware parts are there and available to use

5. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
  6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I didn't say it was a perfect solution, just a solution

7. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's possible.. But it'd make more sense if Nintendo just added it in an update.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

9. K1NDN3SSS

K1NDN3SSS Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    United States
    Your strengths* idk if you'll get the reference....

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There will always be a delay when using a Bluetooth headset, regardless of how you do it, because the audio needs to be encoded on one end and decoded on the other and there needs to be a small buffer, all of those things add delay.
    Do people actually listen to the audio to time moves in Smash? I thought it was more of a visual thing. Especially since a lot of the time people play Smash with the audio off or turned way down...
    It's certainly possible as a hardware mod. You could use this as a basis: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-with-integrated-bluetooth-audio-hardware-mod.417712/
    You'd just need to find the test pads for the headphone output on the board (shouldn't be too hard), and solder the bluetooth adapter to them. Assuming there are test pads. If not then you could solder directly onto the headphone port.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Mar 27, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  11. Admiral124

Admiral124 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2015
    Canada
    This is more likely I think. The OS and interface seems extremely bare bones and rushed. I have the feeling they'll be adding more to it over the next year or so.

12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    There's already a Bluetooth chip inside. A hard mod to add another seems redundant.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Making use of the bluetooth chip already inside the console would require not only an exploit, but likely full kernel access and an advanced piece of homebrew to actually patch the bluetooth library. Not something we're likely to see for a few years at least.
    But doing it with hardware is possible, right now.

14. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @The Real Jdbye Personally I can't play Smash without audio, the audio cues are really important additional info and if those are delayed my reaction speed is as well.
    I bought the dongle HV-BT018 from Havit and this has a minimal delay of 40 ms, those are ~ 3 frames when playing at 60 FPS.
    When I compared the output when directly using the Vitas bluetooth capabilities I didn't notice any delay so the delay is at least not that significant in comparison to the dongle.

Normal earphones are still way better, trying to switch when my sennheiser cx300 ii broke was a bad decision, has anyone a suggestion for up to 40$?
    The 300cx break way too fast even with the most care.

15. orion_js

orion_js Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    United States
    i made it work w/ this transmitter,it just syncs awesome no lag whatsoever and you can use any 4.0 bluetooth headphones or earphones also not to noticing , i might have to some paint job on the transmitter.

ohh and the built in battery for the transmitter will last more than 6 hours

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

here is the switch docked with bluetooth transmitter and no lag

Attached Files:

16. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    I've found when you need things THAT frame perfect, even between audio and video, a regular old LCD/LED/whatever display doesn't cut it, and you would need a CRT at that point. I even noticed this with guitar hero, so glad I got a CRT (plus competitive melee too)

17. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    I appreciate your answer, but I am not into Melee standards of frame perfect stuff, because I don't enjoy Melee as much as Sm4sh and only this game seems to have such a crazy amount of techniques that weren't intended to exist.
    I spoke of really noticable multiple frame delays.
    I can perfectly live with small amounts of delays caused by upscaling from LCDs etc. if they are not that bad that they make me miss a beat on Rhythm Heaven Megamix(Highly recommended) in the fast version of songs or similar.

18. Toad King

Toad King GBAtemp Fan

Aug 19, 2009
    United States
    Assuming the Switch supports Bluetooth 4, all the Bluetooth audio profiles are garbage for gaming. Too much latency that you don't need to be a pro Counter-Strike/Smash/whatever player to hear. Bluetooth 5 can support aptX Low Latency but I doubt the Switch supports that, let alone whatever Bluetooth headphones you have.

A much better homebrew hack would be to support USB headphones, that way you can get one with a USB wireless dongle and use that. Those are much lower latency and much more reliable currently.

19. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    ah. I like it because its so fast paced that aggressive gameplay has an advantage over defensive. On the other side of things, I play alot of guitar hero stuff on expert, including customs, and people pretty much just give them away.

20. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States