Homebrew is a Hack (homebrew?) to make audio bluetooth possible?

Hikenkami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

Been wondering since Nintendo announced that the Switch would be compatible with bluetooth headphones, and backed off two or three days before the release, if there would be a possibility to make a homebrew that would allow to activate the bluetooth chip. Since it is there and used for the joy con connectivity, should work right?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is the delay between the source and the bluetooth headset which makes frame perfect games like rhythm heaven, smash bros, etc. unplayable.
Even the PS Vita is able to pull it off so the Switch should be as well, it should...
And you have an annoying dongle plugged in your headphone jack.
I didn't say it was a perfect solution, just a solution

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The problem is the delay between the source and the bluetooth headset which makes frame perfect games like rhythm heaven, smash bros, etc. unplayable.
Even the PS Vita is able to pull it off so the Switch should be as well, it should...
There will always be a delay when using a Bluetooth headset, regardless of how you do it, because the audio needs to be encoded on one end and decoded on the other and there needs to be a small buffer, all of those things add delay.
Do people actually listen to the audio to time moves in Smash? I thought it was more of a visual thing. Especially since a lot of the time people play Smash with the audio off or turned way down...
Hi all,

Been wondering since Nintendo announced that the Switch would be compatible with bluetooth headphones, and backed off two or three days before the release, if there would be a possibility to make a homebrew that would allow to activate the bluetooth chip. Since it is there and used for the joy con connectivity, should work right?
It's certainly possible as a hardware mod. You could use this as a basis: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-with-integrated-bluetooth-audio-hardware-mod.417712/
You'd just need to find the test pads for the headphone output on the board (shouldn't be too hard), and solder the bluetooth adapter to them. Assuming there are test pads. If not then you could solder directly onto the headphone port.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Admiral124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible.. But it'd make more sense if Nintendo just added it in an update.
This is more likely I think. The OS and interface seems extremely bare bones and rushed. I have the feeling they'll be adding more to it over the next year or so.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There will always be a delay when using a Bluetooth headset, regardless of how you do it, because the audio needs to be encoded on one end and decoded on the other and there needs to be a small buffer, all of those things add delay.
Do people actually listen to the audio to time moves in Smash? I thought it was more of a visual thing. Especially since a lot of the time people play Smash with the audio off or turned way down...

It's certainly possible as a hardware mod. You could use this as a basis: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-with-integrated-bluetooth-audio-hardware-mod.417712/
You'd just need to find the test pads for the headphone output on the board (shouldn't be too hard), and solder the bluetooth adapter to them. Assuming there are test pads. If not then you could solder directly onto the headphone port.
There's already a Bluetooth chip inside. A hard mod to add another seems redundant.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There's already a Bluetooth chip inside. A hard mod to add another seems redundant.
Making use of the bluetooth chip already inside the console would require not only an exploit, but likely full kernel access and an advanced piece of homebrew to actually patch the bluetooth library. Not something we're likely to see for a few years at least.
But doing it with hardware is possible, right now.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@The Real Jdbye Personally I can't play Smash without audio, the audio cues are really important additional info and if those are delayed my reaction speed is as well.
I bought the dongle HV-BT018 from Havit and this has a minimal delay of 40 ms, those are ~ 3 frames when playing at 60 FPS.
When I compared the output when directly using the Vitas bluetooth capabilities I didn't notice any delay so the delay is at least not that significant in comparison to the dongle.

Normal earphones are still way better, trying to switch when my sennheiser cx300 ii broke was a bad decision, has anyone a suggestion for up to 40$?
The 300cx break way too fast even with the most care.

orion_js

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i made it work w/ this transmitter,it just syncs awesome no lag whatsoever and you can use any 4.0 bluetooth headphones or earphones also not to noticing , i might have to some paint job on the transmitter.

ohh and the built in battery for the transmitter will last more than 6 hours

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i made it work w/ this transmitter,it just syncs awesome no lag whatsoever and you can use any 4.0 bluetooth headphones or earphones also not to noticing , i might have to some paint job on the transmitter.

ohh and the built in battery for the transmitter will last more than 6 hours

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

here is the switch docked with bluetooth transmitter and no lag

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,266
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 621

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found when you need things THAT frame perfect, even between audio and video, a regular old LCD/LED/whatever display doesn't cut it, and you would need a CRT at that point. I even noticed this with guitar hero, so glad I got a CRT (plus competitive melee too)

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found when you need things THAT frame perfect, even between audio and video, a regular old LCD/LED/whatever display doesn't cut it, and you would need a CRT at that point. I even noticed this with guitar hero, so glad I got a CRT (plus competitive melee too)
I appreciate your answer, but I am not into Melee standards of frame perfect stuff, because I don't enjoy Melee as much as Sm4sh and only this game seems to have such a crazy amount of techniques that weren't intended to exist.
I spoke of really noticable multiple frame delays.
I can perfectly live with small amounts of delays caused by upscaling from LCDs etc. if they are not that bad that they make me miss a beat on Rhythm Heaven Megamix(Highly recommended) in the fast version of songs or similar.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming the Switch supports Bluetooth 4, all the Bluetooth audio profiles are garbage for gaming. Too much latency that you don't need to be a pro Counter-Strike/Smash/whatever player to hear. Bluetooth 5 can support aptX Low Latency but I doubt the Switch supports that, let alone whatever Bluetooth headphones you have.

A much better homebrew hack would be to support USB headphones, that way you can get one with a USB wireless dongle and use that. Those are much lower latency and much more reliable currently.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate your answer, but I am not into Melee standards of frame perfect stuff, because I don't enjoy Melee as much as Sm4sh and only this game seems to have such a crazy amount of techniques that weren't intended to exist.
I spoke of really noticable multiple frame delays.
I can perfectly live with small amounts of delays caused by upscaling from LCDs etc. if they are not that bad that they make me miss a beat on Rhythm Heaven Megamix(Highly recommended) in the fast version of songs or similar.
ah. I like it because its so fast paced that aggressive gameplay has an advantage over defensive. On the other side of things, I play alot of guitar hero stuff on expert, including customs, and people pretty much just give them away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended