Is 7.00 fully decrypted?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by rrdein, Oct 22, 2019.

1. rrdein
    OP

rrdein Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    Saw recently that this was fully decrypted. Is that accurate, and if so where does that place the odds of a 7.00 exploit happening in the near future? I'm wondering if it's time for me to buy a 7.00 console?

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    not sure if it's decryptable, but the problem is for a locked down system to accept those changes when trying to install it. afaik, the problem is no userland exploit. 5.55 was decrypted as well, yet we're still stuck on 5.05.

3. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Anything's possible, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

4. MostlyUnharmful

MostlyUnharmful GBAtemp Fan

Feb 8, 2018
    Italy
    Allegedly it was decrypted, what is debatable is the way that was done. From what I know, and I could be way wrong, to dump the kernel from memory you need elevated privileges from userland, so this would suggest that at least one individual was able to gain root on 7.00, maybe it's the same single exploit chain hinted for 5.55, maybe there are more than one.

On the other hand, someone could have found a way to decrypt firmware using an exploited 5.50 console, in a similar way that games are decrypted.

So what are the odds of a 7.00 jailbreak public release in the near future? IMHO nothing has changed, unless a bootrom compromise is found Sony could regain control with minimum effort and that would mean burning a valuable zero day, so it's plausible that nothing will emerge until this generation reach end of life or maybe later, I suspect our individual would be sure that current exploit can't be leveraged on next generation before wasting it.

But if you consider it in the scale of the universe that would mean real soon if you could hold your breath for a few million years. ^__~

5. tedeu

tedeu Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    Romania
    where are the greats? where is geohotz, the guy that "broke" anything?

6. MostlyUnharmful

MostlyUnharmful GBAtemp Fan

Feb 8, 2018
    Italy
    You serious? Geohotz in return of Sony dropping the lawsuit opened against him, he pleaded to not touch a Sony gadget ever, so consider him retired, for good.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted