Hardware IPS & TN....

Sonansune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
edit: easiest way to test your screen!

press the screen with your thumb. press a bit harder.
if you see some black wave thing, it's TN.
if you see nothing or just tiny grey wave, it's IPS.

the IPS used on 3ds should not be h or s ips, so it not really a BIG deal, BIG deal, BIG deal...

n3dsxl:
4mH2sQV.jpg

vxQS7bd.jpg

n3dsLL:
B1pmcVC.jpg

B1pmcVC.jpg

2ds:
iR4VGeX.jpg

iR4VGeX.jpg

I know the xl has top ips, what about bottom one?
the LL compare to xl, it's like a defectware...
TN screen on 2ds... eh.... I feel like it's better than the LL

The fbi banner on ll is faded purple

on xl is blue
SPOILER]

Last edited by Sonansune,

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm..I really want to say IPS but it is whitewashing, even if it's not as severe as the other TN screen. I've looked at my double IPS from every angle and light and it doesn't white wash at all :(

EDIT: actually, are you using screen protectors?

Sonansune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm..I really want to say IPS but it is whitewashing, even if it's not as severe as the other TN screen. I've looked at my double IPS from every angle and light and it doesn't white wash at all :(

ok.........
i wish it's cause by the anti-glare screen protector.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

with this test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
buttom one has the same result as the top one on XL.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 2nd N3DSXL top screen also seems to be a cross between an IPS & TN (although that's not possible). It's far less washed out than either of my bottom screens, but more washed out than the top screen of my first N3DSXL. Odd indeed.

The thing here though is to just simply not give a rats ass about it. No one plays their DS at these angles & for the most part they look near identical when played normally. Only difference is a slight black level difference. I wish these TN vs IPS threads would just go away as it's a complete non-issue.

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok.........
i wish it's cause by the anti-glare screen protector.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

with this test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
buttom one has the same result as the top one on XL.
Can you tell me what screen protector you're using? I just remembered back when I had a matte screen protector it gave my screen a very grainy result that did kind of blur out some and possibly white wash, which could be the issue, because like I said, I do wanna say it's IPS since it's not like the other screens

Sonansune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My 2nd N3DSXL top screen also seems to be a cross between an IPS & TN (although that's not possible). It's far less washed out than either of my bottom screens, but more washed out than the top screen of my first N3DSXL. Odd indeed.

The thing here though is to just simply not give a rats ass about it. No one plays their DS at these angles & for the most part they look near identical when played normally. Only difference is a slight black level difference. I wish these TN vs IPS threads would just go away as it's a complete non-issue.
try access to this website with max brightness: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
if you start to see the frame of the 4th block. you have tn.
ips should start at around 8th

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People care, which is why they post about it in the first place. If you don't care that's fine and all, but some people do, and I can see the differences pretty clearly and easily due to color saturation.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 208

Sonansune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you tell me what screen protector you're using? I just remembered back when I had a matte screen protector it gave my screen a very grainy result that did kind of blur out some and possibly white wash, which could be the issue, because like I said, I do wanna say it's IPS since it's not like the other screens
anti-glare by city geek.
it's not the normal clear protector.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already did it a while ago. It's an IPS, just evidently not the same IPS as my other one. All in all though, the more blocks you can see the better, so TN is what people SHOULD want to have. If all of the blocks aren't visible - there's black crush going on. And with IPS not seeing any until the 8th... if my television was that bad either my settings would be to blame, or the tv is garbage. No idea why anyone cares if it washes out at extreme angles. TN is the better of the two for image quality.

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anti-glare by city geek.
it's not the normal clear protector.
That can be causing the issue I'm seeing then. I'm not gonna tell you to take it off to make sure LOL but it's probably dual IPS and you just have the HD matte citigeek protector since those skins look weird at an angle. I personally use Hori clear screen protectors since they have yet to let me down haha

Sonansune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Already did it a while ago. It's an IPS, just evidently not the same IPS as my other one. All in all though, the more blocks you can see the better, so TN is what people SHOULD want to have. If all of the blocks aren't visible - there's black crush going on. And with IPS not seeing any until the 8th... if my television was that bad either my settings would be to blame, or the tv is garbage. No idea why anyone cares if it washes out at extreme angles. TN is the better of the two for image quality.
so my n3dsll is better:yay:

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so my n3dsll is better:yay:

According to me, and according to the test... yes. According to anyone who feels it's worse because it washes out at angles, no. :P

Edit: Right from the top of the test itself: "On an ideal monitor, all of them should be distinguishable, even the very dark first row of squares."

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.