1. R4ismychildhood

OP R4ismychildhood GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    As the N3DSXL is discontinued, I have to buy one on eBay. After returning a N3DSXL that arrived scratched and was actually used (a lot of hassle with the seller). I have researched on best way of hacking, region differences, DS flashcarts, screen protectors, case that fits the charging cradle, etc. for almost 2 months — after happily checking the N3DSXL just arrived and knowing there's no scratches and its new, I carefully applied my Japan imported Hori screen protectors (空気ゼロピタ貼り for Newニンテンドー3DS LL).

When I turned it on, I realized the top screen is VERY yellow. Like CHEESE. So I looked it up and realized there is an IPS vs TN lottery!

After hacking (I have the experience to unhack it for a return, which I did for the last one) and using 3DSident: they're both TN screens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The irony is my old broken one actually has an IPS top!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. the one on the right is the dual TN

Attached Files:

Last edited by R4ismychildhood, Jan 11, 2021
    Shadow#1 likes this.
  2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert

United States
    This is hilarious u know?

Deleted User likes this.
  3. R4ismychildhood

United Kingdom
    No because I spent almost 3 months researching on N3DSXL instead of actually playing it!

4. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    What told you it was a IP screen in the first place? A guess or a run of 3dsident?

5. R4ismychildhood

United Kingdom
    No, it wasn't mentioned by the seller whether it is TN or IPS and I've only acquired the knowledge of TN vs IPS only today.

Edit: I confirmed the results by running 3DSident on both consoles.

Last edited by R4ismychildhood, Jan 11, 2021
  6. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

United States
    I have said this before and I will again. Every single hyrule edition n3dsxl I have personally seen (9 of them btw) has been ips on both screens... good luck (it could just be my area fyi I an in USA new York area)

Rahkeesh likes this.
  7. R4ismychildhood

United Kingdom
    I only want the standard Black version...

8. flowlapache

flowlapache GBAtemp Regular

France
    thanks for this ! I didn't know those differences

9. R4ismychildhood

United Kingdom
    No problem!

10. sith

sith Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have two hyrule editions with ips top and tn bottom, so not all dual ips, in my opinion its more important about the color on the screens(cheese colored in this case) and i've seen great TNs that have color and brightness as good at the ips's, for me i don't think its worth it to comb the earth for dual ips, while ips is very slightly better color and view angles you are holding it in front of your face and most couldn't tell them apart, if you get an ips top i think that is a bonus but the bottom screen is mostly irrelevant.

11. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    This isn't too bad. I have dual ips but actually I prefer playing on tn. Games like Mario just feels better with a more reaponsive screen.

12. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    How is the TN "more responsive"?

The technology has theoretically better minimum LCD response time (not input lag) but in practice on the N3DS it's actually far worse than the IPS version. The main unsung advantage of the N3DS IPS is reduced trails and motion blur, which is not that relevant on 30 FPS 3D games but super nice on dark 2D sidescrollers. I don't think the color or viewing angles are that big a deal so I'd just leave it alone if thats your main goal.

It's not hard to find dual TN screens that aren't horribly mismatched on colors so if TN is acceptable just try another.

13. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I don't know but fast games feels better on it. Maybe it's a placebo.

14. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    Would it matter at 60 FPS? Because a lot of us are using the 60FPS cheat codes on our N3DS XLs.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    None of mine look yellow. Is power saving mode on?

16. 1B51004

1B51004 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You could replace the screen with a guaranteed IPS. You would have to get into the system and I don't know where I would even start to find one. Honestly, I could care less on what type of screen it is. As long as it works and it looks good then I'm happy

17. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Mexico
    Ok this is hilarious.

18. BETA215

BETA215 GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    Well, to be fair, I've spent way more time researching about the Switch than playing it (spoiler: no money). In some way, it's understandable :P

19. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Buy a Hyrule Gold N3ds XL. They have a really high chance of dual ips screens. I bought two from Gamestop, and both were dual IPS. I ended up giving my friend one.

wormdood likes this.
  20. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My New 3DS XL USA White is using TN on both screens, which didn't really affect my view of the worth.
    I'd say the odds of getting IPS would be markedly lower on Generic Colourways like Black or my White as opposed to Limited Editions.

As such, I recommend following the advice already on this Thread about purchasing Limited Editions, if the goal is for IPS screens.

Personally, I've formed an emotional connection to my handheld, especially through weekly airport travels in the past years, so the only reason I'd buy another New 3DS XL is if this one was broken.

wormdood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - ARRRGGHHGHGHGHGHGHGH, Screens,