ROM Hack IPS Patches for Classic NES Series

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HVCA. It is the "other" good NES emulator for the GBA, it has (had?) better support for FDS games, plays NSF files (I am not sure but it might be the only standalone program to do it), arguably some more mappers were supported (though most of those were the less popular/HK pirate ones) and the scaling method did better for some games (especially Final fantasy 3). Being Japanese (the Japanese homebrew, everything other homebrew scene divide was bigger then than it ever was), developed a tiny bit later in the GBA lifetime, in some ways not as easy to use (though hardly complex) and typically not bundled into flash cart programs (most flash cart programs would have build tools for emulators in them) a lot of people did not know about it. It is absolutely up there with pocketnes and I count it among the best emulators the GBA has. I would still suggest something like nesDS (love me some rewind), something on the PSP or basically anything else that is a functional NES emulator with a screen resolution at or above NES native (the GBA is not) but if you have a GBA and want to do NES games on it then it is a definite candidate for a solution to that want.
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/index.php?title=Hvca has links to downloads and usage.

Nusdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you import or convert these IPS files? My EZ Client doesn't recognize IPS files.

EDIT: NVM. Got it! Just need to figure a way to convert it to a GBA file. Goomba don't work either.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there still a link for these patches?
Dude, you're lucky that, casually passing by here, I noticed your post and so I recovered my old collection of Famicom Mini patches.
I think they may be of interest to other users as well. ;)
Welp, if yours truly wasn't around, what would you all do? B-)

Attachments

• ClassicNES_FamicomMini_fix.zip
    105.8 KB · Views: 192

Deleted member 585564

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191's link was already working though, wasn't it? I just downloaded from it.

Weird I wasn't able to find its gbatemp downloads mirror though... I thought everything on filetrip was supposed to have been mirrored there?

The patches from OP are available there, as well: https://gbatemp.net/download/classic-nes-ips-hacks.26797/

If you ever find yourself in a situation like this in the future, you can often still access things through archive.org, as well: https://web.archive.org/web/2019032...ip.net/f/26544-ClassicNES_FamicomMini_fix.zip

Not immediately useful here because you already got what you needed, but in other cases, keep archive.org in mind.

Reactions: djleviticus

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks a lot, which programme is best for applying these patches?
Lunar-IPS for Windows, Unipatcher if you use Android (phone, tablet). Search patching utilities on Romhacking.net.
You'll be spoilt for choice.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is the nicest I've ever seen gbatemp act to someone who necro'd a thread that's been dead for near a decade.
I kinda dig it tbh

• Love
Reactions: BETA215

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this is the nicest I've ever seen gbatemp act to someone who necro'd a thread that's been dead for near a decade.
I kinda dig it tbh
Most such things tend to be someone necroing to say +1 or "I agree" which is fairly pointless. Someone wanting a fix that still works (not like the games change) might be pointless for me (again pocketnes and HVCA offer superior experiences) but easy enough, even though as noted my link in the last post still works.

Are these patches batteryless?
I am not sure what that means in this context.

Batteries exist for two, maybe three reasons in GB/GBC/GBA games

1) To power the real time clock.
2) To power the SRAM.
3) To power rumble in some specific instances, mostly a handful of third party rumble and GB/GBC stuff*

No classic NES/famicom mini (or NES as far as I am aware) effort ever had a real time clock.

There is some discussion in game collecting circles wherein later reruns of GBA games moved from the classic battery backed SRAM to what was then shiny and modern FeRAM/FRAM that functions much the same (it is often literally the same ROM when dumped and the save code is contained within ROMs on the GBA, hence patching them for older flash carts) though not needing a battery. All these that had saves (some NES games have no save and correspondingly these emulated versions don't, don't think any magically gained previously lost code**) are various flavours of EEPROM and thus does not apply either.

*random picture I found in image search for the curious
gb_gbc_rumble_games.jpg

**occasionally to get it out cheap then the dev/pub would drop normal saving games to password mode, the coding tending to be left in so hackers could patch it back in, or they would do it themselves. https://www.romhacking.net/?page=ha...&order=&dir=&title=SRAM&author=&hacksearch=Go and https://www.romhacking.net/?page=ha...&order=&dir=&title=save&author=&hacksearch=Go if people did want a start in such things, though there are other terms some use and those integrated as part of greater hacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves