iPlayer hands-on impressions

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 16, 2009.

1. player1244

player1244 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2008
    Netherlands
    Homebrew has the same extension as a original DS game (NDS). But Homebrew has to be (Auto) DLDI patched.
    Original DS games are just not accepted (without a hack). You can launch Homebrew, but no original DS
    game (for now).

2. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    You literally have no fucking clue how this actually works do you? it contains no extra ram or cpu, its a multimedia decoder chip which is specifically designed for multimedia with no other purpose in mind. Not to mention no emulators are actually still in current development. A Rom Loader although making it more illegal changes nothing in the fact that this device is still illegal like all other non Nintendo made carts.

3. elixirdream

elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2008
    Malaysia
    6th Dimention
    The Retail price for iPlayer in China is RMB 198 after conversion is approximate 28-30 USD

4. cfcpd95

cfcpd95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2009
    UK
    I have contacted and they have told me it will be 45 USD

5. elixirdream

elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2008
    Malaysia
    6th Dimention
    thats big different ...
    nevertheless, just hope DX will sell it cheap [​IMG]

6. cfcpd95

cfcpd95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2009
    UK
    If we get ROM loader I think a coder should at least try to give us cheat database or RTS as this would leave AK2 and iplayer customers happy !!!, if anyone would be able to do this it would be great

Also does anyone know if this extra power could be used to let the Browser work without the memory pack ?!!!

AND I have herd reports of this memory also being used for a GBA Emulaor ?!!!

7. nicky041192

nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 9, 2008
    UK
    you sir are a noob. the web browser IS a ROM. without a rom laoder how are you expect to load the browser.
    GBA emulator? lol. you heard no such thing.

its wwhat i expect from someone new with 6 posts i guess...

8. hardy83

hardy83 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2009
    Canada
    The website just updated recently to include downloads.

They include.
    The Iplayer OS
    A patch for Moonshell reset whatever that is.
    And the Iplayer Dldi source code.

So now I guess someone can fool around with it and see if it can load ROMs or what have you? Or do people need the cart still?

9. Paulieo

Paulieo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2009
    New South Wales
    This looks pretty cool. It would be great if you could watch videos online and stuff.

10. rhanda

rhanda Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2009
    United States
    I just ordered one of these from DX
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26437

I wonder if there are going to be audio sync problems however. Every time I try a reasonably priced PMP with XviD capabilities the audio lags horribly. I don't like having to do a lot of file converting cause it's a pain and takes forever. My PSP has good playback, but again converting is a pain. I just hope iPlayer got it right, guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

11. Knarf

Knarf GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2008
    United States
    I'll probably buy one once it's 1.4 compatible, and once the emulator is actually released to the public.

12. tylerxian

tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2009
    United States
    Not for gaming? Not anymore, seems like the emulator for GBA games is out. But great review by the way.

13. nori2nori

nori2nori GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2005
    You know there are two language edition as the iPlayer product line. One of them is $38.50 of the English edition as follows:

http://www.psxboy.com/1088_iPlayer-for-DS_...h-Edition).html

Another is $28.00 of the Chinese edition as follows;

http://www.psxboy.com/1089_iPlayer-for-DS_...e-Edition).html

Does anyone know what's different between these two editions? If I can use the English language menu in the Chinese edition of iPlayer, I'm going to buy the cheap Chinese edition.

Your information would be appreciated.

14. freddy pharkas

freddy pharkas Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006

I think they're probably the same, unless the Chinese language version is a fake(imitation).

Oh BTW, just some info, about the chip AML340, I think this is some kind of PIC or MCU IC in a VQ100 Package, and it's real IC# was intentionally erased. So, it''s like a SOC(System On Chip). But then, I may be wrong, because I'm more of a pharmacist, and electronics is just my hobby. As for the other chips, previous post was quite right, one was a flash chip and the other as a ram (maybe for workspace & buffering, etc.).

15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Lol Family guy.
    That looks pretty cool though. I might have to pick myself up one if I ever get a DSi

16. Jasper07

Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Parallel universe
    I have a different picture on mine, does that mean that I have an old version or something? or doesn't it matter at all?