Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
white-iphone-4-featured-300x300.png
Apple doesn’t want you using your iPhone to record concerts. According to the New York Post yesterday the company has spent the past 18 months developing a technology that would automatically turn off the camera on an iPhone that was pointed at a stage during an event.

The move (which Apple hasn’t commented on BTW) is reportedly an attempt to placate event broadcasters who have paid a great deal of money to have the rights to broadcast a show, and don’t want to have the same concert posted on video-sharing sites like YouTube.

Apple also recently announced its iTunes Match service, a service that could in theory give users the ability to get the iTunes version of songs that they originally obtained illegally. Apple may be trying to play nice with record labels, and preventing users from recording events is definitely something a lot of record labels could get behind.

The technology could also be used at sporting events, in museums, or anywhere else that wants to restrict camera use.

What do you think about Apple restricting what you use your iPhone camera for? Would a restricted camera make you less likely to purchase an Apple device?[/p]
arrow.gif
Source (TechnoBuffalo)

K

Kane91z

Pretty sure it's just going to piss A LOT of consumers off. Also, there will be a Cydia hack to get rid of it in like a day.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh, this news is just fuel for the Apple-haters. Apple hasn't announced anything, and the 90% of the things Apple patents are never used, so no need to worry.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
master00d said:
just stop the location app and thats it
they can do nothing
From what I heard it's not triggered by the location you're at but rather infrared light emitted from the stage that the iPhone interprets and then refuses to record.

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
Minox_IX said:
master00d said:
they can do nothing
From what I heard it's not triggered by the location you're at but rather infrared light emitted from the stage that the iPhone interprets and then refuses to record.
iphone has a irda reader Oo ?!

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought it was some sort of infrared? :s

Oh well.

Even if this does come, you shouldn't be recording converts anyway.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
master00d said:
Minox_IX said:
master00d said:
they can do nothing
Nope, they're probably gonna analyze the IR light caught by the camera.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
master00d said:
Minox_IX said:
master00d said:
they can do nothing
Nope, they're probably gonna analyze the IR light caught by the camera.
that's some pretty neat technology, but i don't like their application for it

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So Apple is doing something totally legal and trying to prevent people from illegally recording concerts and now people are getting upset?
I don't see the reason to be upset about this since they are just taking the legal approach on an illegal situation.
I am pretty sure if this does through, other companies will soon follow.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats fine because I dont want to be nosy. They will released it when they think it's time. Therefore, it is not important. The news will be there when it is available. No biggie deal.

D

Deleted_171835

Hopefully, Apple doesn't implement this. If I want to videotape a concert, I'll videotape a concert regardless of what Apple wants me to do.

Anyways, I doubt anyone would watch a full concert on the internet as opposed to seeing it in real life. There's a distinct difference.
And if somebody was dedicated to record a concert, they wouldn't use an iPhone. They would use a proper camcorder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.