Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hi. I wanna get IOS-80 without Wi-Fi to install a normal System Menu to my Wii mini, but I can't find where to download it from. I don't know what patch to apply to NUS Downloader. Some help, please?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Doesn't it come that way out of the box?

Edit: or does the wii mini come with wifi and without sd? I may have gotten mixed up.

Anyway for these types of IOS modifications you are best starting your search by googling for portablize mii and bitbuilt

Last edited by XFlak,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Edit: or does the wii mini come with wifi and without sd? I may have gotten mixed up.
The Mini doesn't have either. It is a fully watered down model. In addition to the missing GC ports from the RVL-101 the mini has:
  • No WiFi
  • No SD reader
  • No different video modes – only garbage composite, no S-Video, no RGB, no component (missing things on the motherboard on the hardware side if I remember correctly)
  • No (Reset) button (??Why??)
  • No support for the LAN adapter (software side, with homebrew it is possible)
  • Only one USB port
=========

Of course talented people tried all sorts of things adding back missing parts, but this is more a proof of concept – more practical is buying an old Wii.
I wouldn't want to risk bricking the Mini by installing the software from the normal Wii.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, yes and no.

The Wii Mini comes with an IOS80 without WiFi that's been optimized for the Wii Mini system menu. If you install the actual Wii's System Menu on a Wii Mini, it won't work with the Wii Mini version of the IOS80.

An actual Wii's IOS80 will not work on a Wii Mini because it will attempt to initialize the (nonexistant) WiFi dongle.

So if you want to install the "real" 4.3 (System menu from a real Wii) on a Wii mini, you'll need to take a real Wii's IOS80 (so that it's compatible with the Wii menu), but patch out the WiFi code (so it doesn't freeze on the Wii Mini).

Reactions: XFlak

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The Mini doesn't have either. It is a fully watered down model. In addition to the missing GC ports from the RVL-101 the mini has:
  • No WiFi
  • No SD reader
  • No different video modes – only garbage composite, no S-Video, no RGB, no component (missing things on the motherboard on the hardware side if I remember correctly)
  • No (Reset) button (??Why??)
  • No support for the LAN adapter (software side, with homebrew it is possible)
  • Only one USB port
=========

Of course talented people tried all sorts of things adding back missing parts, but this is more a proof of concept – more practical is buying an old Wii.
I wouldn't want to risk bricking the Mini by installing the software from the normal Wii.

The Mini was a POS Nintendo made in the cheapest way possible hoping to get the ‘Little Timmy's first console’ money.

I suspect only reason it even had that 1 USB port was for the odd game/accessory which used it so it was reluctantly included, last thing Nintendo probably wanted to do was anger Dragon Quest fans.

What I find particularly bad is that saves can only be saved to internal storage with no option to backup/transfer to other systems, which the older Wiis could.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Mini was a POS Nintendo made in the cheapest way possible hoping to get the ‘Little Timmy's first console’ money.

I suspect only reason it even had that 1 USB port was for the odd game/accessory which used it so it was reluctantly included, last thing Nintendo probably wanted to do was anger Dragon Quest fans.

What I find particularly bad is that saves can only be saved to internal storage with no option to backup/transfer to other systems, which the older Wiis could.
It was a pretty good budget offer – often with Mario Kart Wii included. Brand new and just a hundred bucks. Pretty clear they had to cut some corners (complex mechanics of the slot-in drive had to go as well) to deliver a somewhat usable console that can be called a Wii.
Cutting away those few smd mounted things (capacitors/resistors/whatever) for supporting higher quality picture output for saving a cent on each unit was going a step too far in my opinion. Everything else: Cut away what is possible and keep that retail price down!

As for the save management:
  • The Wii U doesn't allow this at all (for Wii U software) as far as I know – not taking homebrew software in account.
  • The 3DS doesn't offer decrypted backups usable on other consoles and doesn't allow backing up Pokemon saves.
  • Switch… I don't have one and hardly read about it. Isn't this topic (backing up saves) part of a paid cloud service?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It was a pretty good budget offer – often with Mario Kart Wii included. Brand new and just a hundred bucks. Pretty clear they had to cut some corners (complex mechanics of the slot-in drive had to go as well) to deliver a somewhat usable console that can be called a Wii.
Cutting away those few smd mounted things (capacitors/resistors/whatever) for supporting higher quality picture output for saving a cent on each unit was going a step too far in my opinion. Everything else: Cut away what is possible and keep that retail price down!

As for the save management:
  • The Wii U doesn't allow this at all (for Wii U software) as far as I know – not taking homebrew software in account.
  • The 3DS doesn't offer decrypted backups usable on other consoles and doesn't allow backing up Pokemon saves.
  • Switch… I don't have one and hardly read about it. Isn't this topic (backing up saves) part of a paid cloud service?

I’m talking specifically about the ‘normal’ Wii because it offers this option.

I remember at the time my mum got a decent enough second hand Wii with GC BC, Wiimote, WM+ dongle and Wii Sports/Resort for £60, so I don’t consider it a good deal unless it had to be new. Plus if you later decided you wanted homebrew, etc. you were stuck with the Mini until relatively recently.

I also think they could have created a way to allow for at least a one way transfer to a Wii U via USB (so no save hacks on the Mini itself). At least in the case of component, etc. there was a physical cost associated to it and composite was likely the most common connection used, even if it just made Nintendo look cheap.

In the case of the other consoles though:
Wii U does offer save backups to USB and there is a Wii U to Wii U transfer utility
3DS did also offer a way to backup/transfer saves and AFAIK most carts saved to the cart
Switch does require online subscription for backup (something I also dislike, at best it’s ‘better than nothing I suppose’).

Last edited by tech3475,

Gamee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Well, yes and no.

The Wii Mini comes with an IOS80 without WiFi that's been optimized for the Wii Mini system menu. If you install the actual Wii's System Menu on a Wii Mini, it won't work with the Wii Mini version of the IOS80.

An actual Wii's IOS80 will not work on a Wii Mini because it will attempt to initialize the (nonexistant) WiFi dongle.

So if you want to install the "real" 4.3 (System menu from a real Wii) on a Wii mini, you'll need to take a real Wii's IOS80 (so that it's compatible with the Wii menu), but patch out the WiFi code (so it doesn't freeze on the Wii Mini).
What i was asking is: how to patch out the WIFI code? Is there some homebrew to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*