Hacking vWii IOS Problems

Cicabe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was following a guide on here to get DLC for the Wii Guitar Hero games installed and usable. And part of the instructions had me install certain IOS’s, namely variations for 37 and 56. Before trying this, I did check to make sure the process was okay to do on vWii/Wii U. Multiple comments assured it was. However, turns out I shouldn’t have touched the IOS’s. vWii and regular Wii use different variations. Now my legitimate copies of Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock or Guitar Hero 5 won’t boot from the Disc Channel.

Seems like the solution should be to reinstall the right variation of these IOS’s but as luck would have it, they’re not directly downloadable from NUS like the rest. And exhaustive Google searches have failed me. The only wads I could find would not install properly with WiiMod Lite. Also, NUS Downloader just flat out doesn’t work how it’s supposed to.

I know linking the copyrighted code is not allowed on this site. But is there maybe a way to extract the original IOS’s from a NAND dump? I did that when I hacked my Wii U last year. Please, I want to get these games working again and hopefully even get the DLC to work.

Cicabe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be able to do this with showmiiwads/showmiinand

Or if you search for wii drive repository you might find what you're after
ShowMiiWads was one of the apps I came across when looking for a way to dig through my NAND. But I don't know how to use it for this purpose. As for Wii Drive Repository, I assume you mean MarioCube? Cause that's where I got the wads that WiiMod had a problem trying to install.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
That repo has tons of stuff, stuff that will brick you and stuff that maybe can save you

Extract your nand.bin backup using showmiiwads tools, or open it with modmii. Then set show mii wads nand backup path to your extracted nand dump, then change view to show mii nand, then right click whatever you want and pack into a wad

Cicabe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extract your nand.bin backup using showmiiwads tools, or open it with modmii. Then set show mii wads nand backup path to your extracted nand dump, then change view to show mii nand, then right click whatever you want and pack into a wad
I have a Wii U so I went through that process of a NAND dump. So I don’t have a file called nand.bin, I have otp.bin, seeprom.bin, slc.bin, and slccmpt.bin in my NAND folder.

Cicabe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so after doing some digging, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that vWii Decaffeinator is what I need to use. I found it before but sorta dismissed it due to how apparently extreme the reboot of the vWii can be. But there’s also advanced options that can let me replace individual IOS’s. So hopefully that’s the right fix. I’ll try it out after work today.
Post automatically merged:

Alright got everything figured out. Decaffeinator reinstalled everything, though I couldn't get my Wii U to actually do a system update even though I didn't have any blockers up for that. Just booting without activating Homebrew got my vWii stuff to download, and everything is working as it should again. I feel lucky to have not bricked my system.

Last edited by Cicabe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I...