Introducing Developer roles

newsy.png

If you've been browsing the forum, you might have noticed that there's a little something new! A few users are now sporting lovely sea-green tags, denoting their status as developers. These users have created notable homebrew projects, or have contributed in a major way to the general hacking scene. We wanted to appreciate their efforts, along with many of our other talented and dedicated developers, by offering a new user class: Developer.

OEVPu3s.png

This new role won't have any different permissions from normal users, and will be used purely for the sake of respecting project creators, and to show developers who are active on GBAtemp. We've initially chosen five developers to display this role, though other users are welcome to apply for a Developer tag, by contacting a Supervisor. (@Issac @Chary or @BORTZ). There are a few guidelines we've established, in order to keep things organized: You'll need to PM a Super, and explain your previous contributions of significant homebrew/projects, linking to the respective download link (GitHub, GBAtemp Download Center, etc), and any "official" thread on GBAtemp itself. You'll also need to be trustworthy; a Developer role is not an endorsement of trustworthiness from GBAtemp and its staff, though we want to ensure that any applicants have not created "bricking" software, or other homebrew that could be considered dangerous to users' systems. In addition, for the aforementioned reason and for the sake of transparency, we'd like for a majority of a developer's projects to be open source. This also is to protect users from software which could contain dangerous content. However, we do understand that the occasional piece of software needs to be closed-source in certain circumstances, so if given a good enough reason, alongside a previously outstanding history, we'll be willing to allow such.

We want to thank all GBAtemp developers for the hard work that they do, and we hope that everyone enjoys the new user class!

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chary name is on the list, does that mean they are all moderators? I thought Chary was a Reporter. :blink:
Chary's a Senior Editor. She has the same power as a Supervisor, but I guess she took the Mag Staff class route lol

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
All well and good, but the method by which one gets that title is what is kinda weird. I doubt many devs would PM a sup to show they are very good at what they do, it just wouldn't feel right to many and so they wouldn't bother doing so in the first place. Maybe it would be nice if it was done deliberately; if someone has contributed a lot and the community sees it as well, the staff should give the title without question, it shouldn't be "asked" for imo.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't wanna give up my rat newspaper ;O;
Did you give it a home and a name too? :P

I know this sounds silly, but can't wait to see what other roles to come up with. I had ideas like Guru gamer. Something like people who asked for gaming advice or suggestions or just info on games, they would be the ones recognized for sharing such info. I mean is not as well the same level of developer who contribute software, but it still part of the theme of games and could promote quality post perhaps. :ninja:

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Excellent news, I am really grateful that my proposal was aproved.

I stayed away to answer further in the thread where I made the proposal since what had to be said, was said bluntly and there was nothing else to add, and I swanted the staff to take the necesary discussion and time to review carefully everything about this topic in order to take the best decisions for everyone.

In case people missed it, I made this proposal (in my case, and everyone had their own reasons for being in favor) for what the staff have established, and I quote:

a Developer role is not an endorsement of trustworthiness from GBAtemp and its staff, though we want to ensure that any applicants have not created "bricking" software, or other homebrew that could be considered dangerous to users' systems. In addition, for the aforementioned reason and for the sake of transparency, we'd like for a majority of a developer's projects to be open source.

Let's not forget that this community is mostly dedicated to the development and use of homebrew for our beloved devices, it is born from the work and dedication that developers put into their projects, and let's not forget that the vast majority do it as a hobby without expecting something in return.

Thank you everyone :)

All well and good, but the method by which one gets that title is what is kinda weird. I doubt many devs would PM a sup to show they are very good at what they do, it just wouldn't feel right to many and so they wouldn't bother doing so in the first place. Maybe it would be nice if it was done deliberately; if someone has contributed a lot and the community sees it as well, the staff should give the title without question, it shouldn't be "asked" for imo.

Some devs don't like to have the "spotlight" above them, so I guess they want them to choose.

Last edited by DSoryu,

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it would be nice if it was done deliberately; if someone has contributed a lot and the community sees it as well, the staff should give the title without question, it shouldn't be "asked" for imo.
We asked these developers for permission prior to applying the developer role to their accounts. What if they'd rather not have the role and we just out of the blue forced it on them? That would be totally rude. It'd also put the stress on the staff to handpick developers of their own volition and putting the full bias on us, rather than them stepping up and requesting such, and putting it to a more objective review. It was even stated multiple times in the previous thread, by developers, mind you, that communities can target developers and rally against some, just due to differing political views.

Even if the developers find themselves above asking for a vanity tag, it should fall to them to choose whether they want it or not.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States

If you've been browsing the forum, you might have noticed that there's a little something new! A few users are now sporting lovely sea-green tags, denoting their status as developers. These users have created notable homebrew projects, or have contributed in a major way to the general hacking scene. We wanted to appreciate their efforts, along with many of our other talented and dedicated developers, by offering a new user class: Developer.

This new role won't have any different permissions from normal users, and will be used purely for the sake of respecting project creators, and to show developers who are active on GBAtemp. We've initially chosen five developers to display this role, though other users are welcome to apply for a Developer tag, by contacting a Supervisor. (@Issac @Chary or @BORTZ). There are a few guidelines we've established, in order to keep things organized: You'll need to PM a Super, and explain your previous contributions of significant homebrew/projects, linking to the respective download link (GitHub, GBAtemp Download Center, etc), and any "official" thread on GBAtemp itself. You'll also need to be trustworthy; a Developer role is not an endorsement of trustworthiness from GBAtemp and its staff, though we want to ensure that any applicants have not created "bricking" software, or other homebrew that could be considered dangerous to users' systems. In addition, for the aforementioned reason and for the sake of transparency, we'd like for a majority of a developer's projects to be open source. This also is to protect users from software which could contain dangerous content. However, we do understand that the occasional piece of software needs to be closed-source in certain circumstances, so if given a good enough reason, alongside a previously outstanding history, we'll be willing to allow such.

We want to thank all GBAtemp developers for the hard work that they do, and we hope that everyone enjoys the new user class!

gimme mine

Reactions: VatoLoco

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
We asked these developers for permission prior to applying the developer role to their accounts. What if they'd rather not have the role and we just out of the blue forced it on them? That would be totally rude. It'd also put the stress on the staff to handpick developers of their own volition and putting the full bias on us, rather than them stepping up and requesting such, and putting it to a more objective review. It was even stated multiple times in the previous thread, by developers, mind you, that communities can target developers and rally against some, just due to differing political views.

Even if the developers find themselves above asking for a vanity tag, it should fall to them to choose whether they want it or not.

I didn't say to force it upon them, more like reach out to them first you know? A title like that to be requested doesn't feel right imo, I don't know how to say, it's like a weird mix of modesty gone wrong.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
gimme mine

gimme mine and normmatt's actually. i get two. take his away.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i'm vain gimme vanity

Reactions: VatoLoco

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How about a developer support class for those that help said developer?:P
And then a developer support support class for those supporting the developer support lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro