GBAtemp Exclusive Introducing Developer roles

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Smiths

Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    still waiting for my vanity plate

2. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    you havent sucked enough dick to deserve anything at this time

3. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    a Fuking van
    You're a Master Baiter

4. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    Give one to @masagrator. He's one of the most underappreciated people in the Switch scene.

5. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Me, a normal pirate.

[​IMG]

Refriger8tor likes this.
  6. GhostLatte

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    I suck yours all the time, as well as the other staff, and have yet to receive my Van Master tag.

Refriger8tor likes this.
  7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    But developers get pestered by bugs anyway.

MarcusCarter likes this.
  8. Smiths

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    dude i've been sucking daily for over a decade now i'm so tired what else do i have to do?????????????

9. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    great idea this, would like to see @KiiWii get recognized with this too

KiiWii likes this.
  10. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Thank you mate :grog: but I don’t think I can have a contributor and a dev tag combined :wacko:

peteruk likes this.
  11. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Right here on good ol' planet Earth!
    I don't think I could apply for the developer role; all of my software is borrowed from other developers. StackOverflow0x, Farottone, Alternity, MrKinator, AerialX, MahoppianGoon, Xorloser - these guys deserve it more than I do, if they have accounts on GBAtemp. I just organize it and redistribute it in my repo, with a comprehensive wiki that I made from others' resources, along with a little bit of my own research. I guess I'm more into the organizing of the Rock Band stuff more than the development of it; I'm still a noob when it comes to programming.

I did contribute Rock Band Customs Discord, but again that really doesn't deserve the developer role since no software creation was involved. I just invite people from three major forums for Rock Band custom songs (C3, Rock Band ScoreHero, GBAtemp) and keep it organized. Once again, organization is my priority. I'm still new to this whole Rock Band hacking thing, so that's basically all I know to contribute.

EDIT: AerialX, MrKinator, and tueidj, three guys who handled the RawkSD project, definitely deserve the role. They each have an account on here, and if anyone can get a hold of them, I say talk them into it! I managed to talk to AerialX recently, but I think tueidj and MrKinator may be involved in other projects on the web elsewhere.

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Oct 18, 2019
  12. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Furret Freek

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    Oh, and @Cyan too! USB Loader GX is the best!

zoogie likes this.
  13. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    People it's fine and all that you wish to nominate people, but THEY must ask for it. We won't just smack it on someone because people request it.

14. Coto

Coto -

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    TBH at first I was like "yeah attention whores everywhere looking for fame and $$$$", but then, upon afterthought, I will talk about real devs doing the hard work at reverse engineering things / or programming on closed source platforms:

It is quite difficult, crude and challenging to do so, most time is taken away to achieve a goal. Sometimes it will take months, years, even a whole life. (and that means known people dying from stuff like cancer..., I can literally point out a dozen of real cases like that)

I wish more communities would take the lead and add such roles to developers who spend most of their time doing real work for free. And support those guys be it through tools, money, education, etc... any kind of gratitude is always helpful for devs.

Last edited by Coto, Oct 19, 2019
    Wiimpathy, cearp, Chary and 3 others like this.
  15. darkxex

darkxex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    Chile
    Santiago
    Blawar: "my time is now"

16. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    You told me what happens in the casting couch stays on the casting couch :(

17. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Does rom hacking count or creating a mod?

18. Smiths

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    imma requestin it

19. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    - Developers aren't tech support.
    - Even if they're inactive, it's a way to show that they've created something that was and perhaps still is of value to the community in general. It's a way to show them respect for what they did, even if they're no longer around actively doing those things.

Edit: also, in the same way it would be a good idea to provide a similar vanity title to translators, and perhaps other kinds of contributors as well if need be.

Last edited by xxNathanxx, Oct 20, 2019
    banjo2 likes this.
  20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah see i think the thing is not to dilute purpose of the badge to the point pretty much everyone and their nan gets a "you're special" tag, from what i gather the badges are really just contributed a significant amount work into supporting the community by creating the tools/programs everyone else uses, i hope people don't see it as some sort of "they matter, you don't" situation, everybody in the community matters, its just that the developers are the bedrock of that community, without them pretty much all of us have no purpose being here, no hacked consoles, no modding tools to even do texture mods or translations with

and again not having the tag doesn't men you cant create amazing mods/hacks etc, you will still gain the respect of those who use your software/work, and if you keep up the good work I'm sure you will be getting a badge sooner or later :lol: