GBAtemp Exclusive Introducing Developer roles

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 16, 2019.

Front-page GBAtemp Exclusive
    newsy.

If you've been browsing the forum, you might have noticed that there's a little something new! A few users are now sporting lovely sea-green tags, denoting their status as developers. These users have created notable homebrew projects, or have contributed in a major way to the general hacking scene. We wanted to appreciate their efforts, along with many of our other talented and dedicated developers, by offering a new user class: Developer.

OEVPu3s.

This new role won't have any different permissions from normal users, and will be used purely for the sake of respecting project creators, and to show developers who are active on GBAtemp. We've initially chosen five developers to display this role, though other users are welcome to apply for a Developer tag, by contacting a Supervisor. (@Issac @Chary or @BORTZ). There are a few guidelines we've established, in order to keep things organized: You'll need to PM a Super, and explain your previous contributions of significant homebrew/projects, linking to the respective download link (GitHub, GBAtemp Download Center, etc), and any "official" thread on GBAtemp itself. You'll also need to be trustworthy; a Developer role is not an endorsement of trustworthiness from GBAtemp and its staff, though we want to ensure that any applicants have not created "bricking" software, or other homebrew that could be considered dangerous to users' systems. In addition, for the aforementioned reason and for the sake of transparency, we'd like for a majority of a developer's projects to be open source. This also is to protect users from software which could contain dangerous content. However, we do understand that the occasional piece of software needs to be closed-source in certain circumstances, so if given a good enough reason, alongside a previously outstanding history, we'll be willing to allow such.

We want to thank all GBAtemp developers for the hard work that they do, and we hope that everyone enjoys the new user class!

Discussion (97 replies)
  1. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Neato, nice to see members getting some recognition for what they do for the community.

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Chary name is on the list, does that mean they are all moderators? I thought Chary was a Reporter. :blink:

3. Scarlet

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Chary's a Senior Editor. She has the same power as a Supervisor, but I guess she took the Mag Staff class route lol

4. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Wait, that's a thing? Now I have to be scared since she always around. What a deceiving title. :ninja:

OrGoN3 likes this.
  5. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I didn't wanna give up my rat newspaper ;O;

6. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    All well and good, but the method by which one gets that title is what is kinda weird. I doubt many devs would PM a sup to show they are very good at what they do, it just wouldn't feel right to many and so they wouldn't bother doing so in the first place. Maybe it would be nice if it was done deliberately; if someone has contributed a lot and the community sees it as well, the staff should give the title without question, it shouldn't be "asked" for imo.

Badda, Reynardine, elBenyo and 12 others like this.
  7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Did you give it a home and a name too? :P

I know this sounds silly, but can't wait to see what other roles to come up with. I had ideas like Guru gamer. Something like people who asked for gaming advice or suggestions or just info on games, they would be the ones recognized for sharing such info. I mean is not as well the same level of developer who contribute software, but it still part of the theme of games and could promote quality post perhaps. :ninja:

8. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Excellent news, I am really grateful that my proposal was aproved.

I stayed away to answer further in the thread where I made the proposal since what had to be said, was said bluntly and there was nothing else to add, and I swanted the staff to take the necesary discussion and time to review carefully everything about this topic in order to take the best decisions for everyone.

In case people missed it, I made this proposal (in my case, and everyone had their own reasons for being in favor) for what the staff have established, and I quote:

Let's not forget that this community is mostly dedicated to the development and use of homebrew for our beloved devices, it is born from the work and dedication that developers put into their projects, and let's not forget that the vast majority do it as a hobby without expecting something in return.

Thank you everyone :)

Some devs don't like to have the "spotlight" above them, so I guess they want them to choose.

Last edited by Dartz150, Oct 17, 2019
    Gericom and alexander1970 like this.
  9. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    We asked these developers for permission prior to applying the developer role to their accounts. What if they'd rather not have the role and we just out of the blue forced it on them? That would be totally rude. It'd also put the stress on the staff to handpick developers of their own volition and putting the full bias on us, rather than them stepping up and requesting such, and putting it to a more objective review. It was even stated multiple times in the previous thread, by developers, mind you, that communities can target developers and rally against some, just due to differing political views.

Even if the developers find themselves above asking for a vanity tag, it should fall to them to choose whether they want it or not.

10. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Finally you give them recognition it only took you how long

11. Smiths

Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    gimme mine

VatoLoco likes this.
  12. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    I didn't say to force it upon them, more like reach out to them first you know? A title like that to be requested doesn't feel right imo, I don't know how to say, it's like a weird mix of modesty gone wrong.

13. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2003
    Netherlands
    Uuuuu
    Can't you give Robz8 a golden crown or something?

14. Smiths

Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    gimme mine and normmatt's actually. i get two. take his away.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i'm vain gimme vanity

VatoLoco likes this.
  15. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    Germany
    Last edited by MeAndHax, Oct 17, 2019
  16. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 Error 0x345559df has occured.

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    That’s pretty neat. A little nice tag for those that help the community

MicmasH_W, RattletraPM and Dartz150 like this.
  17. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    How about a developer support class for those that help said developer?:P

alexander1970 likes this.
  18. Scarlet

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    And then a developer support support class for those supporting the developer support lol

19. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    and @Gericom :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

and his Minions.:rofl2:

ahezard, banjo2, zoogie and 5 others like this.