GBAtemp Exclusive Introducing Developer roles

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 16, 2019.

1. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Everyone always stands on a predecessor's shoulders, that doesn't make those whose shoulders are being stood on more important than those who are standing on them. If you base the value of a creation on the value of what came before, and you necessarily assign a higher value to what came before because "without x, y would not have been possible", you end up with an ever-diminishing value for each new creation. In the same lines you could argue that the builders or anyone else directly involved in the construction of your house wasn't of much value because without the invention of the brick, there wouldn't have been anything to build. The point is that both are important in an uncomparable way. The brick inventor gave the builders an easy tool to aid with construction, without which the construction wouldn't have been possible, but the builders in turn (literally) built upon that tool to go far beyond the value of a heap of bricks.

osaka35 likes this.
  2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    no the point i was trying to make, is that if you give everyone who picks up a brick a "you successfully built a house certificate" the purpose of the certificate is diminished to such a degree that people just start picking up bricks just to get the certificate because they don't seem to understand why the thing was given in the first place, the developer tag is intended as far as i'm aware to recognise the ability of developers with a good track record of producing or majorly contributing to projects or consistently working on several smaller projects in a technical role, and generally working in a developer role to make new/improved tools/homebrew projects

again it actually falls upon the higher ups to ultimately decide who they give the badge to, i just don't want to see it end u with people spamming useless reskins/ hex editing text of already existing tools just to get a badge next to their name, i would personally like to see there being a certain threshold of skill/utility else the badge becomes pretty much meaningless and nothing more than a "i can edit a few text string in luma3ds to change it to say GaMeSQuEsT1 CFW!!! MuCh wOW! and press compile" indicator.

Last edited by gamesquest1, Oct 20, 2019
    osaka35 and cearp like this.
  3. maorninja

maorninja GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    I'm sure there's a limit on who can get the role

4. Smiths
    This message by Smiths has been removed from public view by Chary, Oct 22, 2019, Reason: offtopic.
    Oct 21, 2019
  5. snobbysteven
    This message by snobbysteven has been removed from public view by Chary, Oct 22, 2019, Reason: offtopic.
    Oct 21, 2019
  6. Smiths
    This message by Smiths has been removed from public view by Chary, Oct 22, 2019, Reason: offtopic.
    Oct 22, 2019
  7. Smiths

Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    not really offtopic that i "lol"'d at staff here saying i don't get my vanity tag because they are too new to things to know i've done programming. Chary, what the heck is going on for real.

you offer a tag. i say i'd like a tag, and you ignore it.

respecting devs you like, i guess.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

how about working on a popular OS for a very popular NDS flash cart for years? no? off-topic? okay.

VatoLoco likes this.
  8. Wiimpathy

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Developing free homebrew is really a hard and ungrateful activity. Generally, you don't do that for fame and money fortunately. Well, it used to be like this...

At least a kind word and/or a retribution is also welcome in some cases. What's a bit unfair is when some websites get money thanks to the big traffic generated by some homebrews and the author get zero dinero!

A lot of past and present devs deserves more than just a tag here. And I guess that begging for it is also out of question for most of them.

Gericom, Dodain47 and banjo2 like this.
  9. Smiths

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    tags are my money i trade them for services on the street

10. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    All that is true but then again you're replying to a bunch of things I didn't actually say. If someone creates a hello world program or translates only the title screen of a game, there's no real reason for them to get a vanity tag and I don't think they'd even want one in the first place. However, there's no reason why someone who translated an entire game shouldn't get a vanity tag but a developer should. I can't see many people spending hundreds of hours on a translation project just to get a vanity tag.

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    tbf you were replying to something i didn't say in the first place either, my point was always that people who simply throw stuff at the wall or make minor tweaks shouldn't be getting a "vanity tag" (and thats just of me personally), your the one who interpreted that as "only the guy who invented the brick should get one!!!!", no ofc people who build/improve upon the tools and knowledge of their fellow dev's can still contribute something that is really good/impressive/useful, only an idiot would think "if your work has anything you at all that you weren't the original author of your not a real dev", i simply tried to correct your misinterpretation of my statement, an nope i do also think any sort of technical work producing/releasing home-brew/pc tool/cfw/ game mods or hacks could still fall under the general "developer" tag role, its more about amount of work/effort and skill involved than a test of raw programming ability

Last edited by gamesquest1, Oct 23, 2019
  12. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Looking at your first reply to me again, it does look like your remark about "diluting the purpose of the badge" made me misunderstand what you were saying.

gamesquest1 likes this.
  13. breaktemp

breaktemp D-Sun who was called D-Moon

Mar 17, 2008
    United States
    TSU...no.1 in tha hood
    Been offline for a while, back in time for the pokemon rush !
    So it must be something you have created and shared on this site ?
    If so, would something as simple as a hack of a game count ?

14. Smiths

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    hi i still don't have a tag and i did what was required please thanks

15. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Honestly you sound like some troll and I wouldn't give you such tag.

16. Smiths

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    VatoLoco and VinsCool like this.
  17. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    VatoLoco and Smiths like this.
  18. Smiths

pip Developer
    Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    i'm not conventional in dev land.

gamesquest1, VatoLoco and VinsCool like this.
  19. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 New Install of Gaster OS has completed

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    Hello, just politely inquiring about the status of mine. I submitted my request, please let me know if it’s approved whenever you guy s can. :)

20. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    we're patrons, dude
    we get flair for giving the site money, so cool, man

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I would think the ultimate purpose of such a thing is to signify that when they do appear, they are shown appropriate respect. Or have I misunderstood? Even if it sits on their profile, it retroactively marks their previous posts that appear on Google frequently as a person of interest.

21. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Bling Bling