What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
Why are people suggesting mods that produce results completely opposite of this project's goal? The whole point is not to have an extra hard drive sitting next to the Wii, and you think it's a good idea to make the whole damn case bigger?
because it's retarded to just get rid of the fucking DVD drive just because you think it's cool to have only a HDD in a wii case. you have no idea what might happen in the future for the console so it's stupid to basically just take your console's optical drive out when you can just make the case slightly bigger, not huge, just a little bigger to accommodate a HDD in.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
Knocks said:
Why are people suggesting mods that produce results completely opposite of this project's goal? The whole point is not to have an extra hard drive sitting next to the Wii, and you think it's a good idea to make the whole damn case bigger?
because it's retarded to just get rid of the fucking DVD drive just because you think it's cool to have only a HDD in a wii case. you have no idea what might happen in the future for the console so it's stupid to basically just take your console's optical drive out when you can just make the case slightly bigger, not huge, just a little bigger to accommodate a HDD in.
well the reason i want it to stay the same size is because i want to make my wii portable by getting one of those screens to add on to it
wink.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lavamasta said:
golden said:
Knocks said:
well the reason i want it to stay the same size is because i want to make my wii portable by getting one of those screens to add on to it
wink.gif
what screen? I am pretty sure a couple inches here or there wouldn't hurt the portability of your wii that much. where can the wii be played if it is 2 inches larger in width it can no longer be played? nowhere.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
if i added the extra sizing with the hd attached and the screen on top it would be huge! wouldnt work for me too well... portablity is what im looking for
wink.gif

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
what screen? I am pretty sure a couple inches here or there wouldn't hurt the portability of your wii that much. where can the wii be played if it is 2 inches larger in width it can no longer be played? nowhere.
I doubt you are going to change anyone's mind. Thats the way they want to mod it. Thats the way I would want to mod it too. I don't want my Wii looking funny.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
srsly a 32gb usb stick would be plenty you don't have to have every damn wii game in existence on there when there is at most 15 to 20 games actually worth having on there.
and a usb stick can fit fine on the back right side where the vent is(not the back vent with the fan the other one.)
only real modification would be soldering a extension connector to one of the usb ports to connect the usb stick.
you are really making this a lot harder than it actually has to be.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm amazed that so many people are hell-bent on talking him out of this.

What, exactly, is the problem? He wants to do it this way so let him do it--it's not like he has your Wii hostage and is threatening to gut it to put a, gasp!, hard drive in it.

Some of you really, really need to lighten up/chill out.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ergo said:

What, exactly, is the problem? He wants to do it this way so let him do it--it's not like he has your Wii hostage and is threatening to gut it to put a, gasp!, hard drive in it.

no, they're just giving them their opinions and thoughts on the subject, perhaps giving him some information that he may not have thought up himself yet. If we didn't give each other our opinions then we'd all just go about doing things that we think are right based on incomplete knowledge. Sure, you may think you know everything and your opinion is better than everyone elses, but there have been many times where I ran an idea passed a few friends only to realize that my original idea was deeply flawed thanks to the input of my buddies.

You need to chill out actually, and stop acting so righteous.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
ok, what im thinking is maybe, if we cant take out the dvddrive. we could take some contents from the dvddrive, and then put the hd inside the dvddrive, and then it might work... kind of stupid probly but who knows :Pand then a external dvd drive could be used for installing your own wii games
smile.gif
i think this could very well be possible in the very near future
smile.gif

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolffangalchemist said:
srsly a 32gb usb stick would be plenty you don't have to have every damn wii game in existence on there when there is at most 15 to 20 games actually worth having on there.
and a usb stick can fit fine on the back right side where the vent is(not the back vent with the fan the other one.)
only real modification would be soldering a extension connector to one of the usb ports to connect the usb stick.

this, I agree with, I've been considering it myself. My previous idea was just to buy one of those pre-fabricated replacement Wii shells

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2007/03/21/sho...-for-pre-order/

and stick it stick it on of my current wii so they can snap together and have room for an external drive. But that would still add some additional unwanted bulk, and the best bet would to still just use a USB flash stick for now.

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
To be honest, I can't see anyone ever using over 100gb total for wii homebrew. Even a full set of SNES/NES/Genesis roms isn't over 20gb, and I can't even see 80gb of games EVER being worth installing to the wii hd.

Add the N64 roms and this gets quite a bit larger, and yes it will eventually happen.

QUOTEsrsly a 32gb usb stick would be plenty you don't have to have every damn wii game in existence on there when there is at most 15 to 20 games actually worth having on there.

This may work for some but many in the scene would like to have EVERYTHING in the Wii and not have to move files around often. They want an ALL INCLUSIVE mod rather than just a USB drive added on. Also, if you are just going to use a USB drive why bother mounting it?

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well... you can't dismantle the dvd drive and still use it externally.
you'll have to try desoldering the wii drives pcb and just having it connected.
then you could have a second usb cord hanging out of the wii connected to the hard drive inside(a bit tacky but it would get the job done.).
if this works and games load your half way there.
you should be able too connect to the pc to install iso files with the WBFS tool(whatever gui or terminal/command line version you like.)with the extra usb connection

Midnightzak said:
This may work for some but many in the scene would like to have EVERYTHING in the Wii and not have to move files around often. They want an ALL INCLUSIVE mod rather than just a USB drive added on. Also, if you are just going to use a USB drive why bother mounting it?

hmm.....
"many in the scene would like to have EVERYTHING in the Wii and not have to move files around often"
usb sticks can go up to 120gb(or more i think) now there is no way you will need more than that, unless you just a out right pirate that needs every game in existance.
"They want an ALL INCLUSIVE mod rather than just a USB drive added on"
whats more "ALL INCLUSIVE" if you do the extra usb extension on the out side(possibly could hide in the second cg memory card slot) you can ad patitiions and homebrew at your whim.
"why bother mounting it?"
well why bother mounting a hard drive?, why bother doing any mod for that matter?
the portable 2.5 drives fit in your pocket just as do usb sticks the point its so you don't have to plug in and un plug the drive or whatever you use every time.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midnightzak said:
QUOTE said:
To be honest, I can't see anyone ever using over 100gb total for wii homebrew. Even a full set of SNES/NES/Genesis roms isn't over 20gb, and I can't even see 80gb of games EVER being worth installing to the wii hd.

Add the N64 roms and this gets quite a bit larger, and yes it will eventually happen.

QUOTEsrsly a 32gb usb stick would be plenty you don't have to have every damn wii game in existence on there when there is at most 15 to 20 games actually worth having on there.

the entire set of the US N64 roms are just under 3GB, keep in mind that the biggest N64 games are 64MB and there's only about 3 of them. I don't have my rom set on this computer, so I can't give you exact figures.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maduin said:
Ergo said:

no, they're just giving them their opinions and thoughts on the subject, perhaps giving him some information that he may not have thought up himself yet. If we didn't give each other our opinions then we'd all just go about doing things that we think are right based on incomplete knowledge. Sure, you may think you know everything and your opinion is better than everyone elses, but there have been many times where I ran an idea passed a few friends only to realize that my original idea was deeply flawed thanks to the input of my buddies.

You need to chill out actually, and stop acting so righteous.

I'm not talking to the people giving constructive suggestions, I'm talking to the people calling it "stoopid" or that he's wasting his time. If you think you're in that group, then I don't know what to tell you.

I'll say it again: for those that are getting on him about doing it at all or that it's a dumb idea, etc., lighten up and let the man do what he wants. He's not forcing anyone else to do it and, clearly, he has ample modding experience, so just let him do his mod and stop throwing rocks and/or undermining him--it's as if some of you are insulted personally that he's engaging in this project or he doesn't want to do it your way.

And if that's being righteous, well, so be it!

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
ok stop assuming people want to use the usb loader for piracy. i have 12 wii games that i bought myself. no pirated ones at all. i just want it to be as portable as possible. id like to also have all my music on it and movies and crap. i have alot of music and alot of movies. so i need lots of room for that. im willing to help out but im not sure how this is goin to work yet
frown.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lavamasta said:
if i added the extra sizing with the hd attached and the screen on top it would be huge! wouldnt work for me too well... portablity is what im looking for
wink.gif

not to be mean but it's obv you don't really know what your doing when you want to add a screen to the wii casing since you haven't even taken the wiimote and sensor bar factors into consideration.

Matt93 said:
golden said:
I doubt you are going to change anyone's mind. Thats the way they want to mod it. Thats the way I would want to mod it too. I don't want my Wii looking funny.
i am simply bringing up oversites. it doesn't seem to be wise for him do that but if he wants to i am not going to stop him. i am simply stating it is a very flawed idea.

QUOTE(Ergo @ Apr 6 2009, 07:29 AM)

actually you really really need to lighten up/chill out.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lavamasta said:
ok stop assuming people want to use the usb loader for piracy. i have 12 wii games that i bought myself. no pirated ones at all. i just want it to be as portable as possible. id like to also have all my music on it and movies and crap. i have alot of music and alot of movies. so i need lots of room for that. im willing to help out but im not sure how this is goin to work yet
frown.gif
best thing to do in that case is figure out the exact amount of space you need.
also i wouldn't include anything you don't listen to or watch anymore movie and music wise hopefully it'll save you some space.
when ever i get my wii back with hbc(hoping comex's new exploit is released soon! ^.^ ) i'll probably do this mod or similar my self and possibly write a guide on it, that is if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
maduin said:
Midnightzak said:
QUOTE said:

the entire set of the US N64 roms are just under 3GB, keep in mind that the biggest N64 games are 64MB and there's only about 3 of them. I don't have my rom set on this computer, so I can't give you exact figures.

if they ever come up with a decent mame emulator their roms are huge! and no sdmame doesn't count.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
lavamasta said:
wink.gif
not to be mean but it's obv you don't really know what your doing when you want to add a screen to the wii casing since you haven't even taken the wiimote and sensor bar factors into consideration.
ok, first of all, the wii sensor bar is no problem at all... have u not seen the portable screens made specifically for wii?
look at this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Wii-7-Portable-Video-Gaming-Monitor-4-in-1-TFT-LCD-NEW_W0QQitemZ250390512975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item250390512975&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...