Hacking Internal Hard Drive for Wii mod

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earlier today I opened my Wii to start laying out where I could fit a 2.5" Hard drive in, and making measurements/Pin layouts/ect. I figured I would just remove the DVD Drive, and the rest wouldn't be too hard (this certainly isn't the first console i've modded).

However, when you remove the DVD Drive, the freaking USB Loader doesn't work =[[

Is there any reasonable way to contact Waninkoko to request that he patches that? I direly need this.

I swear to you that I'll even release a step by step guide on doing the mod. T_T

Thanks for any help guys.

EDIT:
UPDATE for the people who don't feel like reading through eleven pages;
I've figured out how to make it work without the DVD drive. I've ordered all my parts, and received all except the USB cord and the hard drive. The Hard drive is estimated to come in the 13th, and i'm hoping the USB cord will come in tomorrow (being that i ordered it over a week ago..)

I'm going to make a tutorial, in a new thread, monday or tuesday.

EDIT2:
Everything's built and done, I just need to make the time to create the tutorial..most likely tomorrow afternoon.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can message him on TeknoConsolas.
You might be able to get a reply. =)
Just hope he doesn't get spammed a lot.
If he's on the receiving end of some failmail, he might not respond :/
Good luck with contacting him.
Maybe make a video response to his video on YouTube.
He might see that if he's active on YouTube.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Maybe make a video response to his video on YouTube.
He might see that if he's active on YouTube.

That's actually a really good idea. Haha..I think i'll do that tomorrow.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem =)
Btw, I love Asian Girls too.
wink.gif

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Replacing DVD-ROM with a hdd would be a cool hardware mod. Have you tried unplugging the data cable and seeing if the Wii will boot with the DVD-ROM disconnected?

Don't message Waninkoko. He already receives hundreds of messages on all the different boards. The loader is not complete yet, so allow some time to add all the high-priority features first, like GameCube loading and hopefully network support.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
Knocks said:
Replacing DVD-ROM with a hdd would be a cool hardware mod. Have you tried unplugging the data cable and seeing if the Wii will boot with the DVD-ROM disconnected?
ority features first, like GameCube loading and hopefully network support.
Nuff said ...
QUOTE(Darkzero51521 @ Apr 1 2009, 04:26 AM) However, when you remove the DVD Drive, the freaking USB Loader doesn't work =[[

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn,
i was gonna do the exact same mod... remove the pretty useless (now) dvd rom then installing a 2.5 inch usb drive.
i guess i will put this plan on hold.
anyway, i think it would be so much better and cooler to install a hd and remove the dvd rom..
i carry my wii a lot (to my buddy's house and stuff) and it would be kinda annoying to carry my ext hd around all the time.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dlxowhd said:
damn,
i was gonna do the exact same mod... remove the pretty useless (now) dvd rom then installing a 2.5 inch usb drive.
i guess i will put this plan on hold.
anyway, i think it would be so much better and cooler to install a hd and remove the dvd rom..
i carry my wii a lot (to my buddy's house and stuff) and it would be kinda annoying to carry my ext hd around all the time.

Really? I like the idea of carrying around an HDD than carrying around all my game discs if I take my Wii someplace.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
helloforum said:
just ducktape your hdd to the side of your wii ;D
My Wii gets to hot to do something like this. The HDD gets warm, too. Together such thing won't be good for the HDD.

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Really? I like the idea of carrying around an HDD than carrying around all my game discs if I take my Wii someplace.

what the HELL are you talking about?
the whole point of installing a hdd inside the wii is so that i won't have to carry around the discs.
i want to install the hdd inside my wii so when i carry my wii around, hdd will be in my wii...

invu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I understand correctly how the loader works, it won't work that way.
It opens the disc drive and the data read from the usb device is passed to the disc drive. This way the wii thinks, it has the disc in the drive.

Well... no drive... would maybe be possible but needs definitly more effort in my opinion.

Don't take any of this for granted, it's just what I think after a short look at the code...

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddp127 said:
but how are you gonna dump the games to the HDD?

btw. i really like the idea, hope wanin patches this soon

I've already got a good way to dump the games.

I'm also considering putting an additional fan in there, but i'm not sure that it's doable..If I do have enough space, the issue with drilling several holes in the side for air would bother the shit out of me.

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Or you could disassemble your Wii and re-assemble it inside a laptop. This way you would have a portable Wii with a screen XD

*I'm kidding, y'know*

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Darkzero51521 said:
However, when you remove the DVD Drive, the freaking USB Loader doesn't work =[[
Put a FlatMii in it? It would you let transfer the games using the FlatMii USB plug to the HD, and maybe the Loader won't also complain about the lack of a drive
wink.gif

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove the board from the DVD drive and keep it in and plugged into the wii.
That should make the wii still think it has a DVD drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F