Hacking Interesting observation re. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nowhere because it obviously won't work. :P
but some guy who knows nothing about programming or hardware or Nintendo once said that because the Wii is single core that original game was not written to be able to handle threading and that Nintendo wouldn't make make the port multi-threaded because they're lazy so that means it must be possible to run it on the original 3DS. You can't argue with FACTS!

Reactions: 2Hack and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
but some guy who knows nothing about programming or hardware or Nintendo once said that because the Wii is single core that original game was not written to be able to handle threading and that Nintendo wouldn't make make the port multi-threaded because they're lazy so that means it must be possible to run it on the original 3DS. You can't argue with FACTS!
When you put it that way, I kinda believe it myself - Nintendo is lazy!

(:P)

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're good, just so fake w all the food coloring crap added like all the USA candies have. Wish they would adopt the Europe standard of much of that being illegal.

Try a European kit kat vs USA made one. Crazy flavor difference when something isn't corn syrup sweetened.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're good, just so fake w all the food coloring crap added like all the USA candies have. Wish they would adopt the Europe standard of much of that being illegal.

Try a European kit kat vs USA made one. Crazy flavor difference when something isn't corn syrup sweetened.
Corn Syrup is another story. That comes down to our farming subsidies for corn which makes corn syrup nice and cheap for businesses. Why do we subsidize corn? You've got me stumped there.

edit: Damn it, despite the disdain I'm feeling for corn at the moment, I suddenly have a hankering for some corn bread.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so it seems the update was added somewhere between 8.1 and 9.2. I don't have a way to test anything in between due to the lack of being found on a retail cartridge.

On 8.1, it still lets you see the manual, and if you run it in Classic Mode, it does attempt to boot and just bootloops with the Nintendo 3DS on the top screen.

Updating to 9.2, it now hides the manual and refuses to launch.

What I find interesting is that under 9.2 emuNAND, Codename STEAM also refuses to run, even though that needs 9.4. Did the SDK really change that much between those two? I remember running Pokémon Y on 4.5 emuNAND, it booted fine, just no wireless features as those needed 6.x+

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
OK, so it seems the update was added somewhere between 8.1 and 9.2. I don't have a way to test anything in between due to the lack of being found on a retail cartridge.

On 8.1, it still lets you see the manual, and if you run it in Classic Mode, it does attempt to boot and just bootloops with the Nintendo 3DS on the top screen.

Updating to 9.2, it now hides the manual and refuses to launch.

What I find interesting is that under 9.2 emuNAND, Codename STEAM also refuses to run, even though that needs 9.4. Did the SDK really change that much between those two? I remember running Pokémon Y on 4.5 emuNAND, it booted fine, just no wireless features as those needed 6.x+
Well there's this:
[SDK+NINTENDO:IsRunOnSnake]

Which is probably the N's way of making sure nothing happens when run on any firmware old3ds, decrypted and rebuilt or otherwise.
Getting the game to run will take a hell of a lot more that patching that out though. We're talking about an unprecedented romhack in a romhacking scene that is almost nonexistent.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you could somehow utilize the system-reserved core for the game, you'd solve the core problem. That's probably easier said than done, you'd need some way to boot directly into the game without loading the operating system. There's also the question of services, what core they run on and whether they're always running, like for sound and 3D. Some things might have to be disabled. We know that parts of the system can be suspended to run games that require more memory (MH4U, SSB) but this would probably be significantly harder.

Next up would be the memory, I'd say at the least a theoretical romhack would need to downgrade every single texture in the game. If you don't mind the game looking like dogshit (worse than it already does) you could easily create a resampling algorithm that would do this for you. A more time consuming process would involve someone manually resizing each one for optimal image quality. The draw distance should be easy enough to modify, and would surely be required as well. Audio samples are highly compressed judging by the 150MB difference between US and EU versions, but they'd probably need some resampling. You might need to cut them out entirely if we can't get the game running with sound anyway

The CPP probably functions interchangeably with the new controls at a hardware level, but then again, it might not.

This all assumes we have the decrypted rom to work with which we still don't as of yet. And the first step is the easiest

Totally worth the effort though, good luck

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Well basically it goes like HOME Menu check -> System set memory for game -> API call for N3DS check (it's the game from here) -> Tries to init cores -> Program continues.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there's this:
[SDK+NINTENDO:IsRunOnSnake]

Which is probably the N's way of making sure nothing happens when run on any firmware old3ds, decrypted and rebuilt or otherwise.
Getting the game to run will take a hell of a lot more that patching that out though. We're talking about an unprecedented romhack in a romhacking scene that is almost nonexistent.

Well, I thought the biggest change was from 5.x to 6.x, since that used the newer save crypto and also changed the location of the boot signatures, something like that? But Gateway's region spoofing actually does work with that, at least for Pokémon X and Y, I haven't tried New-Save-Crypto-Only games like Tomodachi Life.

I was able to update my emuNAND to 9.4 using the on-cart update on Codename STEAM, but I'm curious why the firmware spoofing no longer works. Did Gateway team just give up on that since it's so easy to update your emuNAND now?

[quote="Kohmei, post: 5443607, member: 323872"
This all assumes we have the decrypted rom to work with which we still don't as of yet. And the first step is the easiest[/quote]

The ROM has been dumped in all regions, is it just not possible to decrypt it using VOID's tools? The cartridge IS readable on the original 3DS, hence the manual being viewable on firmwares 8.1 and lower, so you'd think you could decrypt it like any other game...

And honestly, I think you guys are misunderstanding the point of this thread. I'm not trying to get the game to work on non-N3DS. I don't really even care. I was simply wondering what does the checking since I noticed the manual was viewable on 4.3, and not on 9.x.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well, I thought the biggest change was from 5.x to 6.x, since that used the newer save crypto and also changed the location of the boot signatures, something like that? But Gateway's region spoofing actually does work with that, at least for Pokémon X and Y, I haven't tried New-Save-Crypto-Only games like Tomodachi Life.

I was able to update my emuNAND to 9.4 using the on-cart update on Codename STEAM, but I'm curious why the firmware spoofing no longer works. Did Gateway team just give up on that since it's so easy to update your emuNAND now?

[quote="Kohmei, post: 5443607, member: 323872"
This all assumes we have the decrypted rom to work with which we still don't as of yet. And the first step is the easiest
The ROM has been dumped in all regions, is it just not possible to decrypt it using VOID's tools? The cartridge IS readable on the original 3DS, hence the manual being viewable on firmwares 8.1 and lower, so you'd think you could decrypt it like any other game...

And honestly, I think you guys are misunderstanding the point of this thread. I'm not trying to get the game to work on non-N3DS. I don't really even care. I was simply wondering what does the checking since I noticed the manual was viewable on 4.3, and not on 9.x.
Only parts of it use the n3ds only encryption, if it's anything like 7.x it will be the exefs, so the manual is readable by a o3ds.....possibly the romfs although I'm not sure what partitions have the new encryption enabled.......it's the same deal as 7.x encryption, if you put a 7.x encrypted game in a 4.x 3 DS you can read the manual as there is no update requirement to read manuals so they always use the default encryption

TL: DR it really doesn't matter it's not going to work, being able to read the manual makes no difference

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the manual isn't really supposed to be viewable on the o3DS... if you're on 9.x the button is hidden. Only on older firmwares does it show because apparently the feature to check for N3DS-only games wasn't added until somewhere between 8.1 and 9.2.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well, the manual isn't really supposed to be viewable on the o3DS... if you're on 9.x the button is hidden. Only on older firmwares does it show because apparently the feature to check for N3DS-only games wasn't added until somewhere between 8.1 and 9.2.
They are simply conforming to the standard so as to not cause issues, older firmwares wouldn't know what to do with a n3ds game so they had to design it slight backwards compatible I.e manual as the manual has always been and a system update for old 3ds's.....once updated it now knows about n3ds games and tells you to f off

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I don't really think there's anything stopping you from playing XC on your o3ds... The biggest problem is probably the RAM, so all textures would have to be compressed and/or swapped in/out in realtime, so everything would need to be redirected to a different address. Also it would most probably run choppy as hell and freeze constantly while things are swapped in the RAM. Also i'm pulling everything out my ass, enjoy

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So on topic, xenoblade working fine on 9.0fw. In game manual working too.

On a N3DS I assume? 9.0 is the earliest firmware to work with Gateway on N3DS, right? Would be interesting to try it on Japanese systems with the launch firmware of 8.1 or whatever, but until Gateway can support those, I don't know how you'd bypass the forced update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica